Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The rewards for the referral program are actually really good. Considering I only got 2k in game credits with my ship, someone using a referral link when they get the game get's 5k and not to mention all the levels that the referrer gets.

The links all being with "Star-___-___" annoys me more than it should, "star" is kinda redundant if every unique link has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

It's a valid criticism. The 'Star' is probably only there as a branding exercise. After all, with 8 other characters in the code, and 36 options for each character (if they use the full 26 letters of the alphabet, and numbers 0-9) you could have a maximum of .... 2.82 trillion different unique referral code combinations. They probably aren't going to run out of them any-time soon then.

By the way, they also seem to be dong a two week long trial of the dogfighting module, if anyone is interested in trying it out that doesn't already have access. Log into the website, then go to the following link:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/citizencon2k15

All you have to do then is type/paste the following code, which is CITCONFLIGHT2K15 , into the box, and you have access to the game mode and all the ships available in it, until the 25th of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'm sold on that keyboard and joystick combo. Was after a tenkeyless anyway.

Noblong wrote: »
    I'm sold on that keyboard and joystick combo. Was after a tenkeyless anyway.

Will have to get a stick before too long but I think I'll hold off until mid/late beta or just before release to buy new gear. I want a Hotas and a new GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cyclonius wrote: »
    Star Citizen Alpha 2.0: LIVE Demo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zTVVG-WF4

The video quality on this is absolute muck. How stupid can you be to have a demo of a PC game look like blurry noise? I can capture on my feckin laptop with ten times the clarity.

EDIT: Press version is much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpeLpQWzTk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Anyone think the faces look kinda whack? I'm not sure why they got hollywood actors, either. I mean nobody's going to get into this game because their favourite actor is in it. Pretty much all the people who are going to buy this game have already bought it or know about it and will buy it on full release. Seems like a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I mean nobody's going to get into this game because their favourite actor is in it. .

You'd be very surprised at the amount of people that do just that.

I'd say the big names are for marketing purposes like with any advert or movie. Big names mean news agencies take note (and they did).

Oh no I agree that people buy games because of hollywood talent. What they don't buy is games like this. It's niche. The people who are interested in it already know about it. I'd be surprised if this brings in any new interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh no I agree that people buy games because of hollywood talent. What they don't buy is games like this. It's niche. The people who are interested in it already know about it. I'd be surprised if this brings in any new interest.

I don't think you know what you're talking about to be honest. You could say the exact same thing about a scifi movie, like, say The Martian. A big name like Matt Damon isn't going to bring in anyone that wouldn't normally get excited over a movie about astronauts, would it? Pff, bet your ass it did.

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't think you know what you're talking about to be honest. You could say the exact same thing about a scifi movie, like, say The Martian. A big name like Matt Damon isn't going to bring in anyone that wouldn't normally get excited over a movie about astronauts, would it? Pff, bet your ass it did.

Film and tv are completely different from games, people only notice when it's bad or the dev uses the actors likenesses in which case it usually looks terrible.

• Advertisement

Apples and oranges. The consumers who see space films because Matt Damon is in it have little crossover to consumers who buy flight sticks and get nerdy about the next update to a space sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

R0ot wrote: »
    You'd be very surprised at the amount of people that do just that.

I'd say the big names are for marketing purposes like with any advert or movie. Big names mean news agencies take note (and they did).

For most games you'd be bang on the money but SC has been riding the hype train since day one. There's the crowd funding angle, the price and sheer amount of ships for a still to be released game and all the will it/won't it every be released hype.

I just don't see how SC having big name actors will generate any more buzz/hype/desire at this stage for anyone still undecided on picking this game up when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Venom wrote: »

I just don't see how SC having big name actors will generate any more buzz/hype/desire at this stage for anyone still undecided on picking this game up when it comes out.

Not sure about that. I would have thought the same but Hamill seems to have a massive following. Nearly 20k new accounts in two weeks, alot over the last week. Doubtful all backers but definitely got some interest.

Not going to post it here as I've got class but when someone uses you referral code why does the name have "cmd" in it. The guy wouldn't have bought anything yet so that might be why.

I haven't noticed that myself, and have had a number of people use my referral code elsewhere to sign up for an account. Do you mean they all have 'cmd' as part of their name?

Cyclonius wrote: »
    I haven't noticed that myself, and have had a number of people use my referral code elsewhere to sign up for an account. Do you mean they all have 'cmd' as part of their name?

In front of their names.

CMD- Cyclonius and so on

Varik wrote: »
    In front of their names.

CMD- Cyclonius and so on

That's weird. It's not in front of the name of anyone I signed up. The only thing I can think of is that he possibly included it himself as part of his name? You could always check by creating another account yourself, using an alternative email address and your referral code, and see what happens.

Was looking at the announced Avenger variants, can only see variants thought they're meant to be modules.

Light combat cargo as you'd expect and also a EMP equipped combat version just seems to swap out the prisoners for the emp generator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

10,000 have gotten invites into the 2.0 PTU

We could be getting in next week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I've had access to the PTU since Saturday and have been logging in for an hour or so most evenings. What I've seen is impressive but would be more so if it wasn't as prone to crashing (but it is the test universe). So far I've probably spent more time in the menus and bug logging than actually playing with the longest uninterrupted session being about 20mins. The youtube/twitch vids out there are broadly similar to my own experiences (takeoff, landing, Quantum travel, EVA, etc.) although I haven't come across the FPS aspect yet. With current status they've a bit to go yet before a release of 2.0 proper but I hope I'll be proved wrong.

• Advertisement

If i get the 20 upgrade from normal avenger to the emp one does that give the lifetime insurance or do i keep the 6 months from my avenger package.

Does the hanger change, don't really care about this part.

Varik wrote: »
    If i get the 20 upgrade from normal avenger to the emp one does that give the lifetime insurance or do i keep the 6 months from my avenger package.

Does the hanger change, don't really care about this part.

From the SC site/Ship Upgrades section you'd be upgrading from Avenger Stalker to Warlock Module (it's shown as "Module" but appears to be the Avenger with Warlock module included, replacing the prisoner transport cryo pods) which is still in concept stage. For all upgrades it states:

"Buying and then applying this upgrade will transform your ship into a higher-end flyable ship, while retaining all limited items, access passes and insurance levels contained in your original pledge."

So I'd say it'll still have 6 months insurance and the same hangar as your original package (cost €24.60 to upgrade in this case). I have to admit though that the whole ship melting/CCU (cross chassis upgrade) system can be a little confusing.

From watching the YouTube videos it looks like a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Email today:
    Greetings everyone, we've got exciting news for you!

We're inviting some of our earliest backers to participate in the Public Test Universe (PTU) to playtest Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 which features the very first elements of the Persistent Universe in the form of the gas giant Crusader and surrounding areas.

I'm at the 70k mark (early enough) so they've reached at least there.

I'm without a gaming capable machine for the next 6 months though :(

ED E wrote: »
    Email today:

I'm at the 70k mark (early enough) so they've reached at least there.

I'm without a gaming capable machine for the next 6 months though :(

Tbh, after the initial 1000 testers (supposedly selected because of previous PTU debugging work) the second batch (myself included) seemed a bit random. I'm 400K+ and received the invite on 21st Nov. I haven't used the PTU before although I've logged in to AC and social module relatively regularly. I can only guess that geographical location for server testing may have played a part. More recent invites seem to be focussed on earlier backers which I think is fairer overall.

They're certainly pushing out regular updates, currently at 2.0.0g with "h" due later today/tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

2.0 going live tonight ;)

Its a buggy mess, but good fun.

Stole some guys constellation and flew it to couple of systems, got into a fight witb some pirates, and accidentally smashed into another ship causing massive damage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Downloaded 2.0 and messed about with it a bit last night. Its a stuttering mess on my PC and I have no probs running the likes of GTA5 and Witcher 3 and nearly full graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Glebee wrote: »
    Downloaded 2.0 and messed about with it a bit last night. Its a stuttering mess on my PC and I have no probs running the likes of GTA5 and Witcher 3 and nearly full graphics.

There are a few bottlenecks caused by vsync and the fact a number of the elements aren't optimized. You can't compare it to how your machine runs other games unfortunately.

Here's a post around quality and performance tweaks you can do for better gameplay experience.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://redacted.tv/threads/custom-user-cfg-guide.41/

Also make sure to contribute to the Issue Council - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council
    any bugs or issues you run into.

Advertisement