Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Impressive. Looks very nice indeed. Slowly getting there it seems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Starting to look like a game at least

Lukker- wrote: »
    Starting to look like a game at least

Think the game Squadron42 is nearly done. But the persistent universe is still well off completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

He says in the demo that it would take months for a player to walk around a planet on foot and when you look at a planet its not just a render of a curve your looking at, its the actual curvature of the planet and that the mountains you can see are really there for you to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

He says in the demo that it would take months for a player to walk around a planet on foot and when you look at a planet its not just a render of a curve your looking at, its the actual curvature of the planet and that the mountains you can see are really there for you to visit.

The thing is will there be stuff to do on those planets or is it going to be a no mans sky situation, must say its looking amazing though

• Advertisement

The thing is will there be stuff to do on those planets or is it going to be a no mans sky situation, must say its looking amazing though

Probably be empty if they are moons. Could be great place to use mining ships though.

Class -M planets will probably have cities.

He said they will have a main unique outpost and a few modular bases scattered around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That demo looked amazing no doubt about it but I wonder how it will work with multiple players running it at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Venom wrote: »
    That demo looked amazing no doubt about it but I wonder how it will work with multiple players running it at the same time?

The bit where the ship follows him down the elevator really perked my interest.

In some areas the game locks your guns so you cant shoot, but not in every hub area, so I am sort of tempted with the idea of doing this to some market space:

https://youtu.be/g1mTJS0L_Hs?t=46s

crap movie but still gunshipping a public space has that twisted dark appeal to it.

though I'll wager a guess that even in areas you can shoot the glass will be shield protected or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would assume that the inside of stations and such would be similar to the inside of ships/space and while you can see inside it's a different instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Venom wrote: »

Therein is the main problem currently and the Crynetwork refactor is ongoing to improve server/client communication. I believe the issues are most notable in 2.4 where larger framerate drops have been experienced as the existing system shows it's weaknesses.

Currently every update (whether relevant or not) is sent to every client affecting both the server and the network. The server has to do significant amount of processing to generate and stream all the update packets to every client. The clients have to deal with a flood of updates that it doesn't need to know about, killing CPU performance.

Certainly from what I've seen in 2.5 PTU these issues are still there and I think it'll be 2.7 before the improved netcode will be introduced, this being the planned release for the Stanton system.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have tried 3 free weekends of this and cant get into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Another lovely looking trailer. Still in Alpha though? Have they given any indication when we might see the finished article?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Another lovely looking trailer. Still in Alpha though? Have they given any indication when we might see the finished article?

Squadron 42 which is the single player part of the game is due at the end of the year.

Personally I don't think that's going to happen but you never know, they have a massive global spanning team working on it. Luckily it's all supervised by one guy so it won't get pushed until ready and hopefully we won't have a No Man's Sky situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'll be a good while before we see anything near the finished article. Squadron 42 will probably come first, with the persistent universe following after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'm waiting on an xposé on the AI/Pathfinding. For all the little AI contoled crew and wingmen. That's such a huge technical part in it and would make the game a popular single player game aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Tried to install update. Deleted the entire game folder and uninstalled the launcher. Downloaded new launcher and it wont accept my login credentials. Stupid stupid annoying POS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Stupid stupid annoying POS!

Wow :confused:

Its probably servers if its the authentication

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Wow :confused:

Its probably servers if its the authentication

I googled it and over the last few years many multiples of people have had the same issue with no real fix.

• Advertisement

I'm really looking forward to the new netcode for 2.6 or 2.7, should dramatically improve loading time and framerate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

seems to be a lot of problems with this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Never had a PC. Never played PC games.

I would kill everyone in this thread for a chance to play this regularly.

Corvo wrote: »
    Never had a PC. Never played PC games.

I would kill everyone in this thread for a chance to play this regularly.

You would kill yourself after the millionth time you fell out of your ship, or were pushed into oblivion for no reason, or the game crashed to desktop for the 100th time in a day. I barely play it, just waiting for them to improve stability because its a complete shambles at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

froog wrote: »
    seems to be a lot of problems with this development.

There has been accusations of such. But honestly it has insane ambitions but unlike certain other titles that are controversial at the moment it does feel like its moving towards those ambitions.

Even if some of the things they fuss over are the sort other developers would cut because even though its cool in sheer gameplay terms its a lot of effort for no pay off.

But for role playing experience and to take the selling point of that other game the thrill of exploration and deep space travel it is those touches that make the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The launcher would also not accept my account login details until i downloaded the launcher again, but i think some people still cant login even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    There has been accusations of such. But honestly it has insane ambitions but unlike certain other titles that are controversial at the moment it does feel like its moving towards those ambitions.

Even if some of the things they fuss over are the sort other developers would cut because even though its cool in sheer gameplay terms its a lot of effort for no pay off.

But for role playing experience and to take the selling point of that other game the thrill of exploration and deep space travel it is those touches that make the experience.

well i hope it goes well. if they deliver even 70% of what they've said it could be an amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't know if this sneak peak had more changed but it looks far better. The FPS always looked a bit janky before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Maybe it's just the video encoding but the framerate/motion is bizarre in that. It feels like vsync and input lag or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Looks like it's got a ton of mouse smoothing.

Advertisement