Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Looks like it's got a ton of mouse smoothing.

Could be deliberate for the video, most demos have them doing that; slow sweeping pan shots and completely unnatural to how people will play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Looks like it's got a ton of mouse smoothing.
    Varik wrote: »
    Could be deliberate for the video, most demos have them doing that; slow sweeping pan shots and completely unnatural to how people will play it.

Interesting piece on the current Around the Verse (3.8) which goes into detail on the vision stabilisation improvements (starts around 12min mark, sry can't post link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A very good and honest article about the state of things, past problems, division and delays.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

Pledged last week. This game looks insanely pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

*Gets shot in the head*

"I think I heard something...."

:P

• Advertisement

Anyone watch the demonstration of V2 procedural planets last night?

Pretty cool sandworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Enemy ground AI needs a lot of work but other than that stellar demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Anyone watch the demonstration of V2 procedural planets last night?

Pretty cool sandworm.

Yeah, stayed up until 3 am this morning to watch live. It's an impressive road map. I've been following progress for the last 2 years and was worried about the size and scope of the whole thing, having been burned one too many times on kickstarter :) I finally backed it in 2.5 last week and even for an alpha it's fun. Haven't played much due to a broken wrist but i look forward to getting into the world properly in a month or so. I'm really excited for 3.0 first but 3.2 is the one i'm drooling for. Fancy myself as a salvage king, now i just need a AEGS RECLAIMER :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The on planet video looks good.

Still firmly planted on the fence.

Just looked at some gifs at work, going to be making load of dune jokes when if I ever land on that planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've found a joystick essential for flying, really: I have a Logitech Extreme 3D, which is supported out of the box with all buttons usefully mapped. I had to map a key to swap yaw and roll, since I'm used to flight sims where sideways stick = roll, as in a real aircraft, but that's a preference of mine, not the stick's fault.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

So SQ42 is delayed until 2017. Cant say I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The on planet video looks good.

Still firmly planted on the fence.

hqdefault.jpg

So SQ42 is delayed until 2017. Cant say I'm surprised.

Did you mean 2018, because 2017 isn't that bad?

I know they said 2016 before but there's only 2 and a bit months left in 2016 so it was bound to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

A very good and honest article about the state of things, past problems, division and delays.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

That is some bloody article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I skipped through most of it but it's reminded me of 'Jodorowsky's Dune'

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I skipped through most of it but it's reminded me of 'Jodorowsky's Dune'

Ooh, that wouldn't bode well, although it would mean the likes of Sean Tracy and Brian Chambers would go on to do great things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Think I'm gonna pick myself up a Reliant Kore in the anniversary sale and fiinally get my hands dirty.

Anyone else thinking of getting anything?

(And yes, that's even after reading that behemoth of an article)

Don't look at me, I've already bought 2x ships and have been gifted a 3rd by a friend who spent a lot more than I have ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What do you have?

• Advertisement

Bought an RSI Aurora LN package first, had enough fun to jump in on the Drake Buccaneer when it went on sale. The gift (which I may return some day) is a MISC Hull B. The loaner for the Buccaneer (until it's flight-ready) is an Anvil Hornet, and the Hull B loaner is a RSI Constellation. So enough to be getting on with, and I don't see me spending any more money on SC, ever ... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

Plunged for a 325A and a Drake Herald

Really like the look of the changes the flight models, they've rebalanced Boost/Afterburner/SCM.

SCM (space combat mode) is much slower (1/2) so no more jousting, cruise is gone with afterburner taking it's place (large burn to reach a cruise like speeds and then you stay at that speed with little fuel usage), and boost shortens all accelerations so you can alter your direction faster.

Some pretty tough ships in the game, if they can do stuff like this:

I've been trying 2.6 for the past few days

Catapillar is fun to fly. Basically a space truck.

Game still stutters and lags however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Corvo wrote: »
    Never had a PC. Never played PC games.

I would kill everyone in this thread for a chance to play this regularly.

Never had a gaming PC until 2 months ago. Put one together out of interest. Trust me, you need to consider it next time you're up for buying a new console!

Just as a comparison I bought Fallout 4 for it the other day, had played it on a room mates PS4 in Canada - besides the better framerate, graphics, etc as I'm sure I notice them on some level but don't have a particularly fine eye for detail - the load times seriously seem about 80% shorter. Apparently loading from the main screen into your game on PS4 is 26 seconds... on PC (using an SSD) it is 6 seconds flat. Lunacy!

Excited as nothing else for this game... anyone know if it's still looking at a 2017 release date?

If you mean 2017 for a Gold release, the end of Beta status, then I don't think so. The next milestone after 2.6 this week will be 3.0, which is months away, but I don't know whether SC will change from Alpha to Beta at that point.

Waiting for some future release would be to misunderstand what Star Citizen is about, though. I'm quite enjoying being part of the process, not just a customer. I tried PTU for the first time this week, and while it wasn't a great experience, I knew what I was getting in to. Yeah, you could argue "why should I pay to beta test?", but with a project of this scale and complexity, the standard develop-test-release model isn't adequate, in my opinion. The No Man's Sky debacle is what happens when a developer doesn't set expectations correctly. :o

No longer on Cryengine, they've moved to Amazon's engine with all it's cloud assisted shenanigans.

There is one other big announcement we would like to make with the release of 2.6. We are now basing Star Citizen and our custom technology development on Amazon’s Lumberyard Engine. Since the beginning of the project, we’ve had to make a huge number of changes to the CryENGINE code and tech to enable us to deliver Star Citizen. While the original CryENGINE had great strengths in many areas like rendering and cinematics the needs of our game were well beyond what came ‘out of the box’. So we have, over time, changed significant parts of the engine for our technology, such that only a baseline of the original engine truly remains. In the future we will continue to make significant changes to AI, Animation and Network code and systems.

When Amazon announced Lumberyard back in February 2016, we were immediately interested. While based on the same baseline technology as Star Citizen, Lumberyard is specifically designed for online games, utilizing the power of Amazon’s AWS Cloud Services and their Twitch streaming platform. Amazon’s focus aligns perfectly to ours as we’ve been making significant engineering investments into next generation online networking and cloud based servers. Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

As an added benefit Amazon AWS data centers are spread around the world from North America to South America, Europe to China to Asia Pacific, which will allow us to better support the many backers across the globe as we scale up Star Citizen.

Finally, Amazon has made Lumberyard freely available for anyone building their own game. That means that technically-inclined members of the community can have a better view 'under the hood' of our game than ever before. It's also a great path for anyone interested in game development professionally; I fully anticipate that in the coming year we will be hiring programmers who have taught themselves using Amazon's Lumberyard resources!

As we move forwards, we are confident you will see great benefits from our partnership. Amazon will bring new features to Lumberyard to assist in creating online persistent games, adding great support for their products like Twitch (which we use extensively) and of course investing heavily in engine research and development for years to come. We could not find a more stable and reliable engine partner than Amazon, so with this partnership we are sure we have secured the future development and continuing technical innovation for Star Citizen.

With that I would like encourage everyone to download and play Alpha 2.6. It is a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing you in the ‘verse!

Happy Holidays!

-- Chris Roberts

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Been a long time since I've seen these screens.

6ZxImrYl.png
    qtk7B5Rl.png

• Advertisement

I was online for several hours yesterday with two friends in the USA, and the servers were stable and reasonably responsive. Lag was stll a major problem for me, though, being on this side of the Atlantic with ping times approaching 200ms. With Star Marine I basically had no chance against anyone else, and found that the radar, which was supposed to let you know when someone was near you, was a bit hit-and miss. But I did have some solo fun flying around Yela looking for wrecked spaceships.

The other day I was reading about Crysis and their problems, closing offices and so on, and thought that meant they could contribute more to Star Citizen. Shows you what I know ...

Advertisement