Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

bnt wrote: »
    I was online for several hours yesterday with two friends in the USA, and the servers were stable and reasonably responsive. Lag was stll a major problem for me, though, being on this side of the Atlantic with ping times approaching 200ms. With Star Marine I basically had no chance against anyone else, and found that the radar, which was supposed to let you know when someone was near you, was a bit hit-and miss. But I did have some solo fun flying around Yela looking for wrecked spaceships.

The other day I was reading about Crysis and their problems, closing offices and so on, and thought that meant they could contribute more to Star Citizen. Shows you what I know ...

I thought 2.6 was meant to remove lag and with the new coding remove all stuttering??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I thought 2.6 was meant to remove lag and with the new coding remove all stuttering??
    There's talk of new "netcode", but not yet, if I understand correctly.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If my knowledge is still in date the entire server cluster is still US-East, Manchester have a dev setup but players all go to the states. That means for Irish backers it'll always be ****e, especially at peak times when the subsea fibre gets busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

:( 3 YEARS.....3 MORE YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Smiles35 wrote: »

Is this a reference to the engine change or some announcement?

Not surprised they're dragging it out given that they are making so much money from selling ships.

• Advertisement

Smiles35 wrote: »

wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

ED E wrote: »
    If my knowledge is still in date the entire server cluster is still US-East, Manchester have a dev setup but players all go to the states. That means for Irish backers it'll always be ****e, especially at peak times when the subsea fibre gets busy.

I literally never have any lag with this game... don't get it. Also I don't think 2.6 is out yet. Only being tested..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Star Citizen cheaters face permaban with no refund (but CIG needs video evidence)

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-cheaters-face-permaban-with-no-refund-but-cig-needs-video-evidence/

As PCGamesN points out, the problem is that not everyone has access to video capture setups, and those who do won't necessarily have them running when they fall victim to cheaters.

Perm ban wonder if there is a monetary limit to that.

Also anyone playing this game has an Nvidia or AMD gpu both have the ability to replay the last 5 minutes of game with no performance issues (have used both recently). So not sure how PcGamesN came to the conclusion that not everyone can record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is there a time frame for 3.0 yet? thats probably when ill join up, still dont understand how buying ships will work on release though. Will they cost so much in game credit that only people spending real money will be able to buy them???

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

is there a time frame for 3.0 yet? thats probably when ill join up, still dont understand how buying ships will work on release though. Will they cost so much in game credit that only people spending real money will be able to buy them???

They'll probably cost a good bit, but according to CIG everything will be reasonably priced enough so that it's not impossible to get any ship.

How that actually translates in game I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its just worrying as they are making major money from selling ships at the moment, theres no real incentive to stop that. I really hope they dont fcuk that aspect up as it seems like such an ambitious game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

its just worrying as they are making major money from selling ships at the moment, theres no real incentive to stop that. I really hope they dont fcuk that aspect up as it seems like such an ambitious game

I don't think the ships being sold have any special stat breaking attributes. You'll be able to buy ships with similar stats with in game credits. It's likely that the ships you get with backing them wouldn't be available at launch.

I hope it doesn't continue after launch, but selling ships and the like are the main reason the game has been allowed to increase in scope yet stay independant. We're getting a game that actually pushes PC's to their full potential which IMO we haven't got since Crysis 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

One good thing about them selling ships early is that when the game releases fully (hopefully it will!!) then there won't be hundreds of people zooming about in the exact same set of ships. You'll have all different shapes and sizes, so it'll fell more like a living universe as opposed to when you start an MMO and a hundred identical people are standing in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So how does ship ownership work, then? I've only seen bits and pieces. So you pay for the special early access thing and you get your ship. Can it be blown up? Do you spawn a new one when it is exploded or is it gone forever? I read one gameplay example where someone stole a ship. Do you keep that ship until it explodes?

Zillah wrote: »
    So how does ship ownership work, then? I've only seen bits and pieces. So you pay for the special early access thing and you get your ship. Can it be blown up? Do you spawn a new one when it is exploded or is it gone forever? I read one gameplay example where someone stole a ship. Do you keep that ship until it explodes?

Ships purchased now get lifetime insurance, so if they go boom boom they can be respawned in certain hubs a short time later.

Ships earned with in game cash you have to pay insurance for.

I'm not sure but if somebody nicks a ship they could dock it in their hangar so the legitimate owner should be able to claim insurance and get another but the thief only has it until its destroyed. And will be shot to pieces if they bring it into UEE control zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Ships purchased now get lifetime insurance, so if they go boom boom they can be respawned in certain hubs a short time later.
    I believe lifetime insurance (LTI) is only available when a concept ship is announce for sale i.e. not hanger/flight ready. After that point they sell with limited insurance (normally 1/3/6 months depending on model). Up to Nov 2012 all backers got LTI on their pledged ships.

Insurance FAQ here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/Insurance-FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Another few big names showing up in it.

saneman wrote: »
    I believe lifetime insurance (LTI) is only available when a concept ship is announce for sale i.e. not hanger/flight ready. After that point they sell with limited insurance (normally 1/3/6 months depending on model). Up to Nov 2012 all backers got LTI on their pledged ships.

Insurance FAQ here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/Insurance-FAQ

It's mostly that way, mostly.

Thank you Amazon

Thank you 2.6.1

Thank you European servers

407033.gif

Varik wrote: »
    Thank you Amazon

Thank you 2.6.1

Thank you European servers

Attachment broken??

• Advertisement

Attachment broken??

Not sure why, showing up for me. Try to redo it there but it's wasn't SC releated just me being happy.

Varik wrote: »
    Not sure why, showing up for me. Try to redo it there but it's wasn't SC releated just me being happy.

ahhh k.

Just to add the quote in case it wasnt clear:
    Star Citizen Newsletter - Regional Servers Inbound
    February 3rd, 2017

Greetings Citizen.
    Across all our studios, work on the upcoming Alpha 2.6.1 patch is progressing nicely. There’s still some UI work to complete and stability issues to iron out, but, as you can see in our updated production schedule report, we’re almost ready to get this latest patch into the players’ hands. In fact, we're happy to announce an addition to this patch. Thanks to the great work by the Live Ops, Backend and UI teams, we're moving up the release of the Regional Servers to 2.6.1, so players will be able to choose which server (North America, Europe, or Australia) they join to ensure the best connection possible. Once these are running, we’ll be able to run more tests to assess whether more locations will be needed.

This week I split my time between Foundry 42 offices in the UK and Germany. I’ll be spending another week in the trenches with the devs at Foundry 42 to oversee our advancement on a number of fronts.

Thanks to everyone who showed their support for Star Citizen last weekend at both PAX South and the community-organized Bar Citizen event in San Antonio, TX. It’s just another example of how dedicated and inspiring our fanbase can be. In fact, we’ve been looking for more ways to to bring the community front and center. That’s why this week we premiered a new show called Citizens of the Stars that focuses on the important part you play in Star Citizen. Give it a watch to see some of the incredible things the community is doing.

-- Chris Roberts

Booyah. Definitely need to upgrade my GPU now.

Just to add the quote in case it wasnt clear:

Booyah. Definitely need to upgrade my GPU now.

yep. Should be a lot more stable.

Got a 1060 which runs fine in my laptop, I'll wait to upgrade the PC at release.

when this game launches in 2020 we should create a Boards fleet.

when this game launches in 2020 we should create a Boards fleet.

We are the Boards, resistance is futile.

75347741.jpg

Some good news: the latest update, v. 2.6.1, includes regional servers as well as a bunch of patch fixes. I tried the test update last weekend and found it definitely helped in some ways. It did have another bug with the targeting for some reason, one which made it really hard to hit anything in Arena Commander, and I really hope they fix that one. I was blaming my joystick settings, but it wasn't that, apparently. I'll know in a couple of hours once it's all downloaded ... they still haven't brought in incremental updates.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Need to get GPON so I updating SC doesnt DOS the whole house :p

• Advertisement

There is a bandwidth throttle in the Settings for the Launcher. Doesn't always work, though - you may need to restart the Launcher after changing it.

Advertisement