Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh I know, just messing.

Seems Ive caught up the swarm, slowed right down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Doom runs so good in Vulcan! Hopefully it does the same for star citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2.6.2 Out. Prepare your megabitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was on that pretty much straight away last night. The launcher/patcher does need some work, though I had it downloading overnight. Hyperspace speed (since everyone else in the house was asleep), happened to wake up at about 04:30, and it had slowed to a 1kB/s crawl with about 2.5GB left. Paused and un-paused it, and it finished in another five minutes. Haven't fired it up yet, but I'm particularly looking forward to this patch because my Buccaneer should be there, ready to fly. That was a nice last-minute surprise.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

3.0 coming the end of June. (PC Gamer)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

3.0 coming the end of June. (PC Gamer)

Some amount of detail in that schedule report.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

yeah, but whether it gets done.....

Still though, looking very promising.

Maybe we should form a Boards club for 3.0.

Get a group of us to do missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

There's also another free fly for the weekend, for anyone who hasn't already made the jump, and bought the game. Details here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15841-Spring-2947-Free-Fly

• Advertisement

il be buying on 3.0 id say, at least if its anything like the demos they've showed off

just playing this with a buddy, we have partied up but is there anyway to see each other on the hud in the persistent universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

An Irish Star Citizen community has just popped up. Haven't seen one before.

They're organising on Discord: https://discord.gg/CS4vVrY

CIG are in the home stretch for the 3.0 update of the game that will bring planetary landing. Allowing you to fly seamlessly from planet to planet and land anywhere on those planets.

They In the crunch phase working weekends and that. There appears to be a few issues that are blocking other things from moving forward, but they seem like they have a handle on them.

Probably early August we'll see 3.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

...which August, though?

Billy86 wrote: »
    ...which August, though?

Last August.

The level of detail they give in their progress reports etc, means I'd be confident of early August.

The game they are building is incredibly complex, doing things in new ways and on a scale never before attempted. Delays happen.

They have 3.0 nailed down, it's just issues they have with systems they have implemented interfering with each other.

A lot of the stuff they are working on right now is putting a structures and pipelines in place so that work in the future happens in a timely manner and that they are not going back re-doing systems all the time, as well as creating tools for designers to automate as much of the donkey work of programming as possible.

This will actually release 3.0 to their early backers in the next week or so (Evocati testers they call them). It's not what they wanted, but need to get people testing 3.0 for other issues now, to stay on schedule for release to all backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Tell me peeps is there actually a game here? Will there ever be a 'proper' release?

Tell me peeps is there actually a game here? Will there ever be a 'proper' release?

There will be a "proper" release, but it's a ways off yet. Some people were taking the píss / bashing it because it's so long since the original planned release of 2014.

The thing is, the kickstarter was so successful that they realised they could actually make the game they wanted to make. The original figure they looked for was something like $500,000.

They broke $153m in crowdfunding recently.

They are essentially making a AAA game, without a publisher telling them they can't do this and that. Some of the most central parts of the game came from research that might have gone nowhere. No publisher would ever have let them do that.

The scale of the game is hard to get your head around.

Star Citizen is two things.

Star Citizen, the persistent universe (MMO) and Squadron 42, the single-player game.

There is a mini-persistent universe already accessible where you can fly around to different places in space, but you can't land visit any planets. That's what's coming in 3.0.

Squadron 42 is a single-player game. That won't be until next year probably. They've shown basically nothing of it, but it has an all-star cast. Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, Mark Strong, Sophie Wu, John Rhys-Davies, Liam Cunningham, Jack Huston, Gillian Anderson, Andy Serkis... among others. There are other surprise ones they won't say.

The game is very much a long-term project, so a lot of the work going on currently is finishing the systems and pipelines for future content, to make all the work being done in future happen faster. Of course there is content being done as well, but not all the systems are finished.

This is a good video about what's coming up in 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Signed up for this a few months ago. glad i wasnt in early and having to wait multiple years. It should be amazing if they pull it off and by the looks of it lately, they just might. I have joined some corp but was wondering if there are any Irish corps forming or planning to form. Im tempted to buy a "big" ship but will wait until 3.0 begins.
    I cant make my mind up on what role to play, mining, transport, salvage or explorer. combat dosnt interest me as my reflexes are old

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Signed up for this a few months ago. glad i wasnt in early and having to wait multiple years. It should be amazing if they pull it off and by the looks of it lately, they just might. I have joined some corp but was wondering if there are any Irish corps forming or planning to form. Im tempted to buy a "big" ship but will wait until 3.0 begins.
    I cant make my mind up on what role to play, mining, transport, salvage or explorer. combat dosnt interest me as my reflexes are old

That's what is known as tragic irony.

I have joined some corp but was wondering if there are any Irish corps forming or planning to form.

There was none until recently. SCIE has been formed and there's a community of Irish players starting to organise. The discord chat is here.There was a Bar Citizen meetup in Cork earlier this year as well.

• Advertisement

The AOPOA Nox lookin well. Should be good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Great to see support "locally". It is looking good. Just really hope it'll play that way as well. Chris Roberts has seriously undertaken some project and fair play to him getting it so far already. Certainly not an easy task no matter what anyone says. The old Wing Commander series was so ahead of its time so hopefully this one will be as well. I have high hopes once it is finished. They should take as much time as they need really. Better a finished product rather than something buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SCIE Cu Chulainn

There's a group of Irish players now. I'm a new user so I can't post up links or images but people are congregating on Discord. The link to it is on the left on the @StarCitizenIE twitter or on the Facebook page if you search @StarCitizenIreland.

I count 34 users on the Discord right now. It's been going about a week.

danmanw8 wrote: »
    They should take as much time as they need really. Better a finished product rather than something buggy.

3.0 will be a huge step. Tbh, games have been released with less content. The game might not be "finished" when 3.0 comes out soon™, but the reason it won't be finished is because they are doing the opposite of phoning it in.

Another big issues players and the developers had was (presumably because of how the game files were structured) the fact that every update required the whole 30Gb to be downloaded again. Their new patcher will allow for only changes to be pushed. It will allow them to push smaller fixes. They'll still have big patches, but niggly issues will more than likely be remedied quickly rather than be left to annoy people.

That's not to accuse game developers of laziness or anything. Just companies have never had this kind of freedom to carry out the vision they had and have the money to give them the breathing room to do it.

The game has no publisher, but the backers have essentially filled that role.

A lot of stuff in 3.0 will be the culmination of massive projects that have been worked on for a few years now. Things such as the system that allows them to have full planets to explore seamlessly. I know it sounds minecrafty, but trust me, it's class. They had guys working on that, kind of in secret... but there was no guarantee that it would even work. Then one day the geniuses working on it showed the others a video of a shop flying from space seamlessly onto a planet. CIG has a lot of ex-Crytek Germany people. Crytek have been seriously screwing over their employees for a long time now. Many of them jumped ship and CIG are so lucky to have them. They're wizards. Whenever they're on the weekly update show, you're guaranteed cool stuff.

When you're on a planet doing whatever, if you look up in the sky and see some moon or a space station. You can hop into your ship and fly seamlessly to it, out of the atmosphere and into space. Far off systems, suns and planets won't be a 2d skybox. They actually be there and reachable.

There was a video a while back showing how the lighting on planets was driven by the sun. Search "Star Citizen - Planetary Lighting" on youtube. Top result.

There's lot of mad stuff like that. But most of the reason there have been delays was because they are building systems to allow them to build out the game going forward. Pipelines as they say. A great number of them have been finished, so it's full steam ahead in general.

The Evocati guys (extremely dedicated early backers who test daily builds under strict NDA) are probably testing or about to start testing 3.0. There are some issues blocking work on other things that depend on the former, but they probably ended up pushing it out to testers anyway so that everything not affected by those problems could be tested in advance of a public release of 3.0.

Sorry about the essay, that got away from me a bit...

I'm looking forward to crash landing an Idris on a planet, Just to see what happens.

I'm looking forward to crash landing an Idris on a planet, Just to see what happens.

This kills the planet.

This kills the planet.

Must be tried... In the same of science.....or something

Must be tried... In the same of science.....or something

Reminds me of

"on the same day James Van Allen announced his discovery of the "Van Allen" radiation belt, he agreed to help the US military nuke it to see what happened. It was described by historian James Fleming as the first time "someone discovered something and immediately decided to blow it up".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

My Spidey senses tell me they will string it along sucking as many members of the public dry as they go....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had a look at their online store yesterday, some of the prices for ships at just mental...:eek:

Advertisement