Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yep, we plebs are not the target market for those. In the production game you'll be able to work your way up from a starter ship like the Aurora LN. I have one of those and quite like it - it's scrappy.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I tried the latest version there a few days ago. Backed it years ago for the base Aurora.

There's a LOT of work left on this to be done. Pretty, but really not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SCIE Cu Chulainn

I tried the latest version there a few days ago. Backed it years ago for the base Aurora.

There's a LOT of work left on this to be done. Pretty, but really not convinced.

The Aurora is ok... but I almost immediately upgraded to an Avenger Titan. The Aurora has been reworked to be integrated into the new Item 2.0 system that everything in the game now falls under. Basically everything is an object container. Even star systems.

That said, I don't think the Aurora is undergoing any massive change.

Personally, I was disappointed with it as a starter ship. But I suppose the other side of the argument is that it's mean to only be a starter ship.

I love the Avenger Titan, but there's a couple of bugs with it that 3.0 is fixing that badly needed fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Haven't really been following this for a while now. What's there in terms of a coherent game? Is it all still different sections that don't fit together or is it start to feel like a real game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Still an awful lot to be done, but is making steady progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Feels like ages since we've had a client update.

Another week, another schedule update pushing things back a week :D

That ATV though. Holy Christ... Was brilliant.

ED E wrote: »
    Feels like ages since we've had a client update.

It's 3 months to the day. The next client update will be the biggie though. Not just because of the all content, game mechanics, planetary tech etc. finally being added, but also the new delta patcher that will allow the updates to actually be updates, not just a redownload of the whole 30Gb build.

The 3.0 build is bound to be a reasonable jump in size bigger though, although subsequent updates after that can be as frequent as they want.

Plus the poor sods who backed the game that are also willingly testing private builds won't have to download every daily build in it's entirety...
    Glebee wrote: »
    Had a look at their online store yesterday, some of the prices for ships at just mental...:eek:

I meant to reply to this the other day but I forgot.

The people buying those ships now are doing so to get access to them now rather than at launch and/or to support the game.

All the ships etc will be attainable in game at launch. All the currently available ships can also be rented with credit earned in game. It's credit earned in only a certain mode or two of the game at present and the rented ships can't be used in the multiplayer persistent universe part of the game either, but I believe a move towards the release model is coming in the next patch.

That said, you pop into the persistent universe (PU) and ask in chat if anyone has any cool ships and you'll likely get a tour of it off a complete randomer. The community is very friendly and currently there is no real consequence to crashing a ship. That could change in the next update with a basic version of ship insurance being implemented (I think).

I'm mad into the game, but the only thing I have bought over the basic package is €15 to upgrade the Aurora starter ship to the Avenger Titan which I much prefer.

The Aurora MR is one of two you can choose from that comes as part of the game package needed to play. ~€50

Some people have a genuine problem like though... haha. If you can spare it, fair enough I suppose. Who am I to question it, a fellow player of all people...

So the Irish Star Citizen group is up and running and there's around 80 active on the Discord server at last count.

We're holding our first "Bar Citizen" next month to coincide with Gamescom weekend and the other events happening on that day around the world.

wKwNZdj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So you dont think the project is crashing and burning then?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    So you dont think the project is crashing and burning then?

There were some fairly bit things blocking progress, most of which have been largely overcome.

The issue of netcode is a massive one though and if anything is going to sink the multiplayer aspect of the game, it's that.

They are working on it, but it such a big project that we're going to see incremental updates to it over the next while.

I wouldn't expect earth-shattering changes to it in 3.0.

One of the biggest things that I'm looking forward to in 3.0 is the patcher being re-done to allow for actual updates, not a re-download of the whole game. That should make incrementally changing, testing and publishing to live much better.

Currently testing sound like torture for the testers and devs.

One of the biggest things that I'm looking forward to in 3.0 is the patcher being re-done to allow for actual updates, not a re-download of the whole game. That should make incrementally changing, testing and publishing to live much better.

Currently testing sound like torture for the testers and devs.
    I've done PTU a couple of times, but declined for 2.6.1: download 25GB or more to test some minor updates, then same again a week later when 2.6.1 was released? Nope.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

As far as I know, there were urgent fixes needed.

That won't happen again with the delta patcher.

I have no download cap, but downloading it was a pain.

ATV last night was interesting to say the least. The Lost & Found video was great.

The ATVs have been top notch of late.

Some 3.0 patch (and beyond) 4k screens from the cover story of German games magazine Gamestar.

http://imgur.com/a/qiSk4

You really need to open the images in their own tab and zoom to appreciate them.

The first image is of the ship I own, an Avenger Titan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bought in early enough, but I really haven't been following development lately. Can anyone tell me if alien life is part of the long term plans? I don't mean the Vanduul and the Banu etc, but rather alien fauna on some of the planets?

Can anyone tell me if alien life is part of the long term plans? I don't mean the Vanduul and the Banu etc, but rather alien fauna on some of the planets?

Yes.

Just FYI, BoredGamer is a YouTuber, but he has good rapport with CIG (the developers) and gets good access for research etc. He has a better idea of what direction CIG are going in than most people outside of CIG.

Also, the YouTube video description is a good answer to your question.
    Procedural Planets V2 and all the tech there has allowed for a lot more than just more in depth exploration BUT, also the need to populate the verse with flora, fauna, aliens & dangerous enemies.

There will be creatures that attack you on missions OR in derelicts as well as those that you discover via exploration. Some may be passive OTHERs might want to eat you. The Star Citizen Approach to Wildlife is not procedural generation or randomization in the Style of No Man’s Sky. Creatures are handcrafted & concepted for each individual planet and environment.

This is flora, rather than fauna, but here's a look at some of it from Hurston, one of the four planets in the Stanton system.

PC Gamer are doing a feature article about 3.0. They uploaded this cut of existing Star Citizen footage. Good sizzle reel in fairness.

The article is about the hands on time they got with the upcoming 3.0 patch.

http://www.pcgamer.com/first-man-on-the-moon-hands-on-with-star-citizen-alpha-30/

That's just an intro to the article. The magazine isn't out yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Five years of development and millions of dollars, revel in some pretty pictures sewn together for a youtube video.

Five years of development and millions of dollars, revel in some pretty pictures sewn together for a youtube video.

That was put together by PC Gamer from SC footage that is up on youtube already.

And it's $155m to be exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

To give you the idea of the level of analysis on that page: the screenshot of the Tumbril Cyclone shows the price for a pack containing all the variants, not the price for a standard Cyclone. Maybe some will see that screenshot, with that price on it, and assume that we're all gullible fanboys with more money than sense. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Isn't the 150m+ not just crowd finding, isn't there also private investment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Varik wrote: »
    Isn't the 150m+ not just crowd finding, isn't there also private investment as well.

No, it's supposed to be all crowdfunding. Probably spent about 60mil so far (based on 300 workers on 70k a year)

Our first Bar Citizen meetup next month (Sat 26th August) is shaping up well. Less than 5 week away and about 20 down to attend at this early stage already. People coming from all over, north and south and some planning to fly in from England

There will be a lot to talk about with the gamescom presentation happening the night before and hopefully 3.0 having been released that week.

YmsDUvU.jpg

Eventbrite to register interest

Few pints, some good food and a bit of craic.

LRtSAr3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

I've been looking to set one of these up and have a feckin stag that weekend!!

jay_k wrote: »
    I've been looking to set one of these up and have a feckin stag that weekend!!

We're on Discord if you want to pop by. There will be others this year.

• Advertisement

PC Gamer UK did an article about a sit down they got with the 3.0 patch in LA.

http://imgur.com/a/WBYy8

Wasn't that interesting from my perspective, but would be interesting for people not really familiar with it.

Advertisement