Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SCIE Cu Chulainn

And...

3.0 is pushed back to the week after gamescom now... ffs

I'm not all that bothered but missing gamescom is big. It would have been a great way to put their best foot forward and introduce the planetary tech to the world.

It's major issues blocking them, not just them choosing to keep polishing, but it does have the knock on affect of a few things that were 50/50 whether they would be in 3.0 have a better chance now.

Still not amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

And...

3.0 is pushed back to the week after gamescom now... ffs

I'm not all that bothered but missing gamescom is big. It would have been a great way to put their best foot forward and introduce the planetary tech to the world.

It's major issues blocking them, not just them choosing to keep polishing, but it does have the knock on affect of a few things that were 50/50 whether they would be in 3.0 have a better chance now.

Still not amused.

Yeah that's very bad form. It's just going to give more ammo to those peeps like Derek Smart who is gaining more traction the more things are delayed.

Missing Gamescom will not go down well with the hard core fans.

Yeah that's very bad form. It's just going to give more ammo to those peeps like Derek Smart who is gaining more traction the more things are delayed.

Those types don't need ammo. They just manufacture outrage if they can't stir something.
    Missing Gamescom will not go down well with the hard core fans.

I'd say the hardcore will be disappointed but not angry.

The people that will be genuinely angry are the sort that just wanted to be angry.

One thing about another delay is a few things that were cutting it too close for 3.0 might get added now. Increases the possibility of the delta patcher being ready. They have been saying they are aiming for 3.0, as recent as yesterday, but they haven't promised it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Could they just stop being so overly optimistic in their release dates? I considering hopping on at 3.0 but this constant ongoing fiasco is pushing me away.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Could they just stop being so overly optimistic in their release dates? I considering hopping on at 3.0 but this constant ongoing fiasco is pushing me away.

CIG are certainly partly to blame, but the fact that the development model is open, means we are seeing stuff that happens while making most games, especially AAA titles.

With so many different systems becoming mature enough to implement in a live build, there's probably a load of stability issues they need to work out.

It's probably nigh on impossible to predict these things, but I wish they'd be a bit more generous with their estimates, so that stuff game in "on time" more.

The game will be done when it's done, but it just annoys people missing deadlines by so much.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I do get that, and the fact it's not a tried-and-tested/experienced company in this sort of thing - which is a big part of the pull, completely different type of game but ProjektRed with the Witcher games also weren't constrained by those same 'tried and tested' formulas etc and came out with a ridiculous title that really pushed the boundaries of what was possible in the gaming world and after 20 years finally supplanted Mario 64 as what I personally consider the best game ever made to date - but it's very frustrating. Another (again very different) example that springs to mind is Metal Gear Solid V, where they still came up with one of the best games in a good long while, but had Konami let Kojima do his thing and get it right we could be looking at something right up with GTAV or Witcher 3 in terms of games seen as the high end benchmark of AAA type titles.

They also need to keep the hype train rolling to keep the donations and subcribers coming in which is understandable to an extent, but given I was looking to sign up 3-4 months ago on the assumption that 3.0 was quite imminent, it really is a pain and is draining the excitement somewhat. Some more conservative estimates would be great, and if they beat that deadline well it really is a great feeling seeing a game you were heavily anticipating to come out in 3-4 months has been pushed forward and is now coming out in 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Fired this up last night,definitely felt more polished and slicker. Not much more there than the last time i had a go though.

I know its not supoosed to be much more than a demo but it feels like its been the same for an age.

I just bought the basic Aurora package so not very invested in it. Playing the crap out of elite dangerous currently too so i can be patient when it comes to this game. Hopefully 3.0 will give us a bit more to get stuck into

3.0 Delayed until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

really! wtf are they at

really! wtf are they at

ugh.....no idea.

This will not go down well.

Also 3.0 will be a lot smaller than originally planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I find it odd that a studio given 120 million switches engine midway tru development and cant make a launcher that doesnt download the entire game every single time there is a patch.

i think I shall wait this one out.

3.0 Delayed until September.
    really! wtf are they at
    Also 3.0 will be a lot smaller than originally planned.

I'm very disappointed it misses gamescom, but that was for the sake of showcasing it to the world.

Saying 3.0 is a lot smaller that was originally planned is incredibly misleading. Much of the tech and systems now going into 3.0 weren't on the table originally. It's massively complex compared to what came before.

Putting all these together, basically at once, into 3.0 has caused stability issues significant enough that they don't feel they can launch it in that state, so they've pushed back a few weeks.

I can imagine the ****show it would have been with people playing an unstable 3.0 while gamescom was going on, while the eyes of the world were on it.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    I find it odd that a studio given 120 million switches engine midway tru development and cant make a launcher that doesnt download the entire game every single time there is a patch.

CIG did not switch engines in the way you imply. StarEngine is based on a fork of a CryEngine build from 2015.

Lumberyard is a fork of the very same build. The 'switch' took 2 engineers about a day. They swapped the like-for-like bits and took the bits they wanted. Lumberyard is probably uniquely suited to back-boning a game of Star Citizen's scale, with the might of Amazon behind it.

While StarEngine and Lumberyard both are derived from CryEngine, CIG have said that only about 10% of that code remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If this is what they are spending their time developing it could b e a while before this comes out.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-expressive-faces-space-fashion-and-boldly-going-beyond-30/

Anyone follow any of the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

dreamers75 wrote: »
    If this is what they are spending their time developing it could b e a while before this comes out.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-expressive-faces-space-fashion-and-boldly-going-beyond-30/

I had the same initial thoughts regarding the "Face over IP" and whatever about tracking player expressions it will also allow head tracking akin to TrackIR which will be very useful in cockpit. And in fairness technologies such as these are being developed in parallel to the main game, not instead of.
    Anyone follow any of the show?

Only scanned through the available vids, when it's available I'd like to experience what's new to 3.0 for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd figured there be a client update now, but nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Few other games have character mouth movements working with mic audio, it's never perfect or sometimes close but it did make it more immersive when playing and you're hearing a person and seeing their character talk even if it's just the jaw flapping.

Should be fun

will 3.0 even have much content? or will it be heres some planets you can land on but no real reason to do so

will 3.0 even have much content? or will it be heres some planets you can land on but no real reason to do so

Seems like content is being dumped out of 3.0 to get it over the line so I wouldn't expect much.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Seems like content is being dumped out of 3.0 to get it over the line so I wouldn't expect much.

Seriously? That's a little embarrassing, and if true and remaining thoughts I had for getting on board with 3.0 when it eventually comes out five months ago are gone.

Yep, they don't hide it in around the verse.

Anyone looking at the Intel’s Optane SSD, pricey but along with high specs you get the sabre raven.

Again it's pricey.

also you can get sq42 for $15 with it but again it's pricey.

Wouldn't bother posting every teaser and promo but this is something new.

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone looking at the Intel’s Optane SSD, pricey but along with high specs you get the sabre raven.

Again it's pricey.

also you can get sq42 for $15 with it but again it's pricey.

Just buy a decent NVME SSD, zero appeal in Optane.

so we'll be able to make colonies? cool i guess :) did 3.0 ever come out? is there much progress at all happening?

Just buy a decent NVME SSD, zero appeal in Optane.

Put the word pricey in the post 3 times as it's twice the price as the next fastest NVME SSD.

No reason now but prices can change.

so we'll be able to make colonies? cool i guess :) did 3.0 ever come out? is there much progress at all happening?

There's progress, but it seems like they're a long way behind where one would hope after so many manhours.

There's progress, but it seems like they're a long way behind where one would hope after so many manhours.

From all the tools and stuff they've been showing I think the pace is increasing.

That and the stuff they were showing about the cities reminds me of the old school MMO with player housing, back when such things weren't just instanced and you'd have sprawling suburbs of player built houses.

I think Star wars galaxies was the epitome of this, huge fully player built cities.

• Advertisement

im really beginning to lose faith that we'll ever see this in any sort of finished manner, i do hope i am wrong though. Just seems like every year they imagine how it could be better and go about changing everything to that end. i mean wasnt it this time last year that 3.0 was showcased and its still not out, and no concrete release. whats a reasonable full release? 2020? Again i hope i am wrong but the inner cynic has taken over with regards to this :(

Advertisement