Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Looking into this, is it worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Looking into this, is it worth getting?

There's no real discount to buying in now, if there's enough early access content and you'd like to be there as more is released go ahead.

The first single player part of the game will be out first maybe wait for that and if you like it you can go deeper by buying the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SCIE Cu Chulainn

Some Star Citizen fans will be meeting for a pint and a chat in Galway tomorrow at Gamerfest if there are any other fans or curious souls that want to join us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Some Star Citizen fans will be meeting for a pint and a chat in Galway tomorrow at Gamerfest if there are any other fans or curious souls that want to join us.

Do you get the pint tomorrow or do you have to wait?

:P

dreamers75 wrote: »

We have to wait until we have a dedicated moaner sitting beside us to tell us how terrible and ridiculously expensive the pint we're quite enjoying is, that we paid the same for as any other pint.

The metaphor was better in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

A few pictures of beer then, soz I mean pitchers! jk, hope to be there tho :D

saneman wrote: »
    A few pictures of beer then, soz I mean pitchers! jk, hope to be there tho :D

Hopefully this gamerfest is good. It's their first outing, but hopefully it will run smoothly and they can build on it annually.

We have to wait until we have a dedicated moaner sitting beside us to tell us how terrible and ridiculously expensive the pint we're quite enjoying is, that we paid the same for as any other pint.

Yeah probably :D

But at least they actually got their pint :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

GIVE ME 3.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The real problem with that metaphor is they'e said they'll be getting the kegs changed for close to a year now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's an economic concept called the "sunk cost fallacy", where you keep investing in something because of all the money you've already put in to it. If I was putting money in to Star Citizen on an ongoing basis, that might be a concern, but I'm not, so it's not. I can wait, and if takes a bit longer, it doesn't matter since they aren't getting any more of my money.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

dreamers75 wrote: »

I got an email from the pub saying they are doing some test roasts of different barleys to see what works best before they move on to the next stage.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Redditor wrote: »
    Probably early August we'll see 3.0
    ...which August, though?

OK, this was intended as a joke back in early July...

There a reason there's no option for Hull cross chassis upgrades anymore.

I had a few upgrades already each way for what I had but when I went looking they're not there anymore.

Also the Avenger is a little less special now with the Hawk, still has the bed and extra pods for the stalker.

3.0 testing is continuing. Lots of bugs etc. to smash, but we're finally getting to enjoy the planetary tech they worked so hard on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpoi95LbFrw

I know it's only a large asteroid so far so the flight model won't differ that much to space but it's so stupid that you can hover an inch off the ground nose down and then push it into reverse to leave orbit. We've got all these ships with huge VTOL capabilities but everything seems to fly like a harry potter broom.

Hopefully when they start adding actual moons and planets there's something there.

The jump drive system in 3.0 takes some getting used to.

Good god

1.4millions ships bought (including packages)

Also the game has crashed every single time I approach a planet.

Been waiting for this one.

Claiming land and colonies.

Land on the store

4km x 4km €56
    8km x 8km €112

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Manora

This hasn't been on my radar at all but after looking at the vids and reading up on it, it's definitely something I'll be picking up.Think I'll be waiting closer to the beta , to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

PTU still looks very buggy,hopefully they can tie it all together because if they can get it to work bug free it looks great.

Not sure now if you can build and mine in UEE space on unclaimed land at all or is it UEE with claim and non-UEE without claim.

Does every player need a claim license?
    No. Land claims are only of benefit to those players who want UEE protection when constructing their own outpost, extracting value from an area’s natural resources, or financially speculate in the real estate market. If players decide to do this on unclaimed land then they do so without any rights to the land and any protection which comes with those rights.

This make it seem you can build within UEE space but risk attack or a claim being made on the land you're using. But the second seems to be UEE = claim, non-UEE =/= claim.
    Do I need to file a claim to build a base or mine?
    No, you can freely build or mine planets and moons outside UEE controlled space but you’re on your own as far as security goes. It’s worth noting, too, that one of the largest deterrents to others moving in on a valuable section of land you’re working – or taking liberties with an outpost you’ve constructed – is the fact that within UEE space such actions are criminal and will have significant consequences for the infringers. These protections, of course, don’t exist beyond the borders.

At least there's some protection, better than the old DayZ method of hiring people with real money to watch your stuff.

Mustang changes are nice.

Manora wrote: »
    This hasn't been on my radar at all but after looking at the vids and reading up on it, it's definitely something I'll be picking up.Think I'll be waiting closer to the beta , to get it.

Definitely do, I only heard of it earlier this year and was (still am) ridiculously excited by it but the delays etc on this are beyond phenomenal at this stage.

Varik wrote: »

Been waiting for this one.

Claiming land and colonies.

Land on the store

4km x 4km €56
    8km x 8km €112

Jesus, you can buy a in game piece of land you cant use in a game thats not even close to being out.

Pick-The-Next-Drake-Ship

Went for A, like the sound of the rest but would prefer more 1 man entry ships.
    A. ENTRY-LEVEL DRAKE SALVAGE SHIP (CODE NAME: VULTURE)

A one man salvage starter ship, no drones but plenty of on-board storage to help with EVA salvage operations (space for cutters, charges etc) and space in a separate area to store/process the recovered salvage. Mostly designed for the player to EVA out and do the salvage, rather than sit inside and do it with tractor beams/lasers. Small enough to sneak into hostile areas unnoticed to recover fresh salvage.

B. MULTI-CREW DRAKE EXPLORER (CODE NAME: CORSAIR)

Drake’s competitor to the Constellation, the rough and ready multi-crew explorer. Differs from the 600i by its crude basic construction and from the Constellation by its lower missile count, but with a third turret to make up for it. Able to transport a vehicle and cargo (think extended/up-scaled Cutlass rear area) faster and more nimble than the others, but like all Drake ships pretty paper thin.

C. DRAKE SCOUT CARRIER (CODE NAME: KRAKEN)

Drake’s capital ship entry, space to park and store a few medium ships (up to Freelancer-sized) and transport them around the verse. Serves as a mobile truck stop in function with a small hub of stores (some less than legit) to help restock.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Definitely do, I only heard of it earlier this year and was (still am) ridiculously excited by it but the delays etc on this are beyond phenomenal at this stage.

I would caution against jumping in right now as it is still in alpha. When 3.0 is available for everyone might be a good time, but it will still be in an alpha state... so while I'm a shameless evangelist for it at times, I would temper people's expectations because the stuff they see in the official SC videos are almost always stuff that is work in progress that hasn't been made available in game yet.

Just spent 2 minutes watching a guy die slowly against vanduul in his Vanguard, I won by 3k points and 1 kill in my little avenger. Would have done better if I'd not died once to a friendly hit and run and spawned into the arena wall unable to move.

Went and ate dinner after I died and came back he'd no wings or tail section and a full round of enemies swarming him taking pot shots while he rotated.

• Advertisement

Landed on Daymar (sic)

Alt F to leave pilot seat. Left pilot seat, died.....

Advertisement