Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Snubs docking with the relevant ships is meant to be next patch.

External ship to ship and to station, will show up when there's a ship that needs it.

Hull C introduction likely to have it.

Maybe with idris as that's probably furthest along.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm totally like "meh" most of the time about SC but then I watch The Expanse and get right excited about multi crew battles and tight knuckle moments.

Especially the most recent episode if anyone follows it.

Love the Expanse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Best sci-fi in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Must give it a watch, it probably more believable than Star citizen ever being playable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I like the Expanse but im not blown away by it. Must watch the mew episode though.

This game just disappoints every time i TRY to load it up.

Huge load times,crashes,terrible performance,lockups and then when it does work everything from landing to flying feels so place holder that whats the point.

It really has a long long way to go. I spent €30 only so not much of a vested interest either way,hopefully ill be able to enjoy it some day....hopefully before we put a human on mars!!

EoinHef wrote: »
    I like the Expanse but im not blown away by it. Must watch the mew episode though.

This game just disappoints every time i TRY to load it up.

Huge load times,crashes,terrible performance,lockups and then when it does work everything from landing to flying feels so place holder that whats the point.

It really has a long long way to go. I spent €30 only so not much of a vested interest either way,hopefully ill be able to enjoy it some day....hopefully before we put a human on mars!!

If things go belly up you're covered in any case if you paid by CC, at least in EU/Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Varik wrote: »
    If things go belly up you're covered in any case if you paid by CC, at least in EU/Ireland

If it went belly up i wouldnt be to bothered,i know backing early is a risk. I paid the €30 and took the risk so cant really complain

In saying that Id love it to turn out to be a great game. So heres hoping

So I was really fed up strumming my fingers every time I'd come back to try SC to see how far along we were. Time to go SSD for it. Gave it its own dedicated basic SSD (OS is on a balls to the walls NVME drive, this doesnt deserve that).

6tTAgDc.pngiHvUmWo.png

7 Minutes down to two. Still WAYYYYY too long there big C but we're getting there. 90 seconds to 16 seconds for FPS. Very pleased.

Cost? €28.

JTVctZH.png

My main issue though is the 2GB graphics card. Playing Vandul Swarm usage is about 1950MB of 2048 and thats the lightest possible load. Everything else is pretty much unplayable. Now that prices are coming back down I might finally upgrade.

I think for the Alpha at least they have an SSD down as "strongly recommended".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I agree with the SSD - I have it on one (not the latest & greatest) and it was reasonably playable last weekend with the 3.1.4 patch. I was able to do a 5-stop trading trip and made it back to Port Olisar with no crashes, just one minor bug (one door would not open, so I used a different one). Graphics card is a GTX1060, but at the resolution I currently use (1366x768) I can see it's not being fully utilised, and I got > 90 fps in the hangar last time I tested that.

I also have a 3x3TB Storage Spaces array in the same computer with very fast read speeds close to SSD performance. (Software RAID-0, yes I know a single disk failure will trash it, so there's nothing critical on that and it's backed up regularly.) Last time I tried SC on that, it wasn't as good as SSD but better than a single disk.

There is still too much random loading from disk and/or network calls that kill performance when anything happens - and I do mean anything. Go in to freelook and look around -> FPS drops. Turn the ship while approaching an outpost - FPS drops. Open a door and see an NPC -> FPS drops. Combat -> the enemy ship manoevres -> game can lock up for several seconds, during which time you're a sitting duck.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    I also have a 3x3TB Storage Spaces array in the same computer with very fast read speeds close to SSD performance. (Software RAID-0, yes I know a single disk failure will trash it, so there's nothing critical on that and it's backed up regularly.) Last time I tried SC on that, it wasn't as good as SSD but better than a single disk.

Thats where IOPS comes into things.

Long term RSI want everyone to have 100GB of SSD space for SC, spinning rust just can't keep up.

Get 1500 UEC and a chance to win a Starfarer Gemini for agreeing to the new terms due to gdpr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Get 1500 UEC and a chance to win a Starfarer Gemini for agreeing to the new terms due to gdpr

No sign of that mail in my inbox

Edit: Arrived a couple of hours after I posted

Never received the credits.

Don't think anyone has yet, the competition part of it isn't up until the 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Don't think anyone has yet, the competition part of it isn't up until the 31st.

They were probably busy getting the Legatus Pack ready for ordering.

A bargain at $27,000!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8mos1t/star_citizen_offers_the_legatus_pack_for_27000/?st=jhrpildw&sh=b04f1651

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Seen that.

Some of us here spend too much on games....and then there's people who can drop 27k on one game !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sure didn't some guy pay something like $1mn for a World of Warcraft sword before?

Venom wrote: »

A bargain at $27,000!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8mos1t/star_citizen_offers_the_legatus_pack_for_27000/?st=jhrpildw&sh=b04f1651

To some of the orgs with membership dues, that's probably a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Venom wrote: »

A bargain at $27,000!

Jesus christ, yer man is a right auld money grabber isn't he.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Half Life 3 will be released before this, i.e. never.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Half Life 3 will be released before this, i.e. never.

He'll continue to lead people along with a piece of string and happily take there money and never release the game fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

He'll continue to lead people along with a piece of string and happily take there money and never release the game fully.
    So, what you're saying is: you can't tell the difference between total vapourware - software that doesn't exist - and Star Citizen as it is now - alpha, flawed, a long way from complete, but also a long way from vapourware. I'm not happy with the slow pace of development given the amount of money they have to play with, but development is happening.

They aren't getting any more of my money, so the sunk cost fallacy (a.k.a. "throwing good money after bad") doesn't apply here. I don't have to "give up": I can just wait. I have time. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, what you're saying is: you can't tell the difference between total vapourware - software that doesn't exist - and Star Citizen as it is now - alpha, flawed, a long way from complete, but also a long way from vapourware. I'm not happy with the slow pace of development given the amount of money they have to play with, but development is happening.

They aren't getting any more of my money, so the sunk cost fallacy (a.k.a. "throwing good money after bad") doesn't apply here. I don't have to "give up": I can just wait. I have time. :cool:

I'd kind of agree with you, but to day they've apparently raised over $185 million dollars. That is an extremely largely amount of money for a game still in Alpha, and by the looks of it has spent more time creating new micro-transactions instead of the actual game content.

People rightfully went berserk at EA for their tactics on Battlefront 2 and micro-transactions, but these guys do seem to be getting a pass on it.

I honestly don't expect to see this game for at least 5 more years at best.

Have a look over their roadmap, shows a lot of detail with is further expanded on in multiple post they put up and development videos multiple times a week following showing some detailed aspect of it.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

The patches are quarterly, next month they've got mining being added. In addition to that they're adding a lot of systems for groups and larger ships. A large amount of the gameplay features are going to have been added by 3.4 at the end of the year.

I never said it didn't exist.

The update on the single player which is out before the main multiplayer game. Also first images of John Rhys-Davies character, no Fezzes in game.

qruobrpub6dikoasqeln.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What's the actual incentive to fully release though? You have a game concept that takes in boat loads of money every year if you just show a few tech clips at your very own conference. You can just create an income by promising future updates.

And even if you do fully release, how the hell are you going to set a balance between the person who spent 800 real money on a ship Vs the person who wants to earn it in game, no one's going to be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

What's the actual incentive to fully release though? You have a game concept that takes in boat loads of money every year if you just show a few tech clips at your very own conference. You can just create an income by promising future updates.

And even if you do fully release, how the hell are you going to set a balance between the person who spent 800 real money on a ship Vs the person who wants to earn it in game, no one's going to be happy!

Thats a great point. None of us will be able to compete with some gajillionaires teenage son who will be sitting on a fleet worth 20grand while I rock up in my entry level smuggling ship.

They have us by the short and curlys tho. The game is offering what we all want and we will all keep up to date with it as its potential is insane.

Advertisement