Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's not GTA, you don't fly in your jet car killing everyone and then get to reset that with no consequences later.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rory28 wrote: »
    Thats a great point. None of us will be able to compete with some gajillionaires teenage son who will be sitting on a fleet worth 20grand while I rock up in my entry level smuggling ship.

They have us by the short and curlys tho. The game is offering what we all want and we will all keep up to date with it as its potential is insane.

Richboy can't just fly a fleet, you need multiple crew for the larger ships.

Also lots of space is protected, so if you're a small miner out in the belt they'd have to find you first and when you come back to sell your cargo they can't fire upon you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Its not just the divide between who can kill who faster though is it? if i want to role play as say a smuggler with a largeish ship that say costs 300 real money right now, how long am i going to have to grind to be able to buy that ship with in game currency? Is everyone who "just" buys the game on release going to be stuck with a mustang for months until they can get a ship slightly better or bigger.
    That may be the realistic approach but people will just get bored with not being able to do what they want within a reasonable time frame and quit the game. And vice versa if they make ships relatively easy to attain with in game currency people who spent 100's or 1000's will be super pissed and rightly so tbh.
    I dont see how this game is not going to create a s**tstorm of massive proportions one way or the other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's pretty much no way the game will meet expectations at this stage. Feature creep doesn't even come close to what has happened during it's development, and from an outsiders perspective, it definitely seems like all they really care about is releasing in game items that people have to pay a huge amount of money for. I'll admit that i've barely ever played it, but given how long it's taking them to release content, i just don't see them ever having a full release (single player, sure. But not the multiplayer side of things).

Imagine EA released an in game item for €27000. People would go absolutely mental.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Isn't Elite Dangerous, which has been released since 2014, similar to this?
    Haven't played either game.

• Advertisement

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Isn't Elite Dangerous, which has been released since 2014, similar to this?
    Haven't played either game.

elite can be pretty good, but a bit boring at times

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Elite almost went the opposite way, releasing a bare bones game with very little content or features, and than gradually building it up.

Kiith wrote: »
    Elite almost went the opposite way, releasing a bare bones game with very little content or features, and than gradually building it up.

in my opinion it worked better that way, they have a game with a lot of the features star citizen are trying to implement and its there and can be and has been played for years.
    Its not as ambitious as star citizen but it exists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

in my opinion it worked better that way, they have a game with a lot of the features star citizen are trying to implement and its there and can be and has been played for years.
    Its not as ambitious as star citizen but it exists :)

Elite can be summed up with a review I saw on Steam.

"400 hours logged: Theres nothing to do in this game."

Always makes me laugh.

Rory28 wrote: »
    Elite can be summed up with a review I saw on Steam.

"400 hours logged: Theres nothing to do in this game."

Always makes me laugh.

haha yeah pretty perfect summary really. Ive about 180 hours or so in it, its one of those games that you need to have an idea of what you want to do or be as the game doesnt lay out any sort of defined path for you. Find it to be a very relaxing game to play myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Elite VR is awesome. Seriously cool.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Interesting vid alright

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Free Fly Weekend again, until the 27th - details here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is there a game in 3.2?

Still unplayable.

Guess I will have to upgrade my pc from I7 5960X, 32GB DDR4 GTX 1080 to something that can run this game..........

Wonder if Nasa have an ebay account.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Still unplayable.

Guess I will have to upgrade my pc from I7 5960X, 32GB DDR4 GTX 1080 to something that can run this game..........

Wonder if Nasa have an ebay account.

Can you troll somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What is the framerate like though? It's been a legitimate concern for quite a while from what I've read; I'm on an i5 6600K, GTX 970 and 16GB DDR4 and apparently stronger setups than mine can't get out of the 20s on it for FPS. I would be holding out until/if it ever becomes more of a full game anyway, but if my system won't run it, it wouldn't matter if they knitted the whole thing together as well as Witcher 3 by the end of it.

Varik wrote: »
    Can you troll somewhere else.

?

The game is unplayable is not trolling its a statement.

The game is a slideshow of images, sorry if I offended your team.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    What is the framerate like though? It's been a legitimate concern for quite a while from what I've read; I'm on an i5 6600K, GTX 970 and 16GB DDR4 and apparently stronger setups than mine can't get out of the 20s on it for FPS. I would be holding out until/if it ever becomes more of a full game anyway, but if my system won't run it, it wouldn't matter if they knitted the whole thing together as well as Witcher 3 by the end of it.

Ran well in 2.6 and then when 3.0 hit it nose dived. This got a lot better in 3.1 and while they're adding cities and planets (as opposed to the moons already in it) they are also adding their "object container streaming" which means they're not going to be loading everything to everyone on the sever.

Arena commander is the ship vs ship things (players and AI), try that and it's give an idea of performance.

Haven't tried it on a 970 in ages but have been playing on a 1080 desktop and 1060 laptop which is comparable to a 970. Biggest performance improvement comes from ram and a SSD in the persistent universe but in Arena commander that doesn't matter.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ?

The game is unplayable is not trolling its a statement.

The game is a slideshow of images, sorry if I offended your team.

sure it is./

Humans will reach Mars before this game is out.

All Eyes On Rafah

sure it is./
    Ran well in 2.6 and then when 3.0 hit it nose dived. This got a lot better in 3.1 and while they're adding cities and planets (as opposed to the moons already in it) they are also adding their "object container streaming" which means they're not going to be loading everything to everyone on the sever.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not.

Anyway the #Spectrum suggests 2 possible fixes for poor performance (being honest I should not have to do anything other than hit Very High and 3160*2140):

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000083167-Unsupported-Applications-Peripherals-and-Overlays

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000081887-Guide-to-Graphic-Issues

I did laugh at the 1st one and its list of "applications" that may cause issues, looks like its very uncommon apps noone would ever have installed :D

Arena commander is the ship vs ship things (players and AI), try that and it's give an idea of performance.

Haven't tried it on a 970 in ages but have been playing on a 1080 desktop and 1060 laptop which is comparable to a 970. Biggest performance improvement comes from ram and a SSD in the persistent universe but in Arena commander that doesn't matter.

Good to hear! Sadly I kind of agree with Murray on the potential for if/when it is ever released but I really could not hope to be any more wrong on that. Either this or Cyberpunk is the most I have anticipated a game in a long, long, long, long time. Cyberpunk is no small part due to how awesome CDPR are, SC more because the concept is about as close to what I would consider a perfect game for my interests. Here's hoping!

http://fixes.transversetheverse.com/helpdesk/how-to-create-a-user-cfg.html

From Spectrum this helps but I use

Con_Restricted = 0
    r_FullscreenWindow = 1
    r_Width = 3160
    r_Height = 2140
    r_Fullscreen = 0
    r_MotionBlur = 0
    r_Vsync = 0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's not your hardware, it's the networking side, as discussed in this thread before. Performance is much better when offline e.g. when in a Hangar or in single player Arena Commander. The persistent universe at the moment sends too much data over the Internet to your computer, including things not local to your ship, and the PC framerate is being reduced by the requirement to get updates from the server. Try running Task Manager in the background and watch the network utilisation: easily 1 Mb/s all the time when in the PU. Task Manager also tells me that my GTX 1060 GPU usage is around 25% when this happens: plenty of FPS to spare on the hardware.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    It's not your hardware, it's the networking side, as discussed in this thread before. Performance is much better when offline e.g. when in a Hangar or in single player Arena Commander. The persistent universe at the moment sends too much data over the Internet to your computer, including things not local to your ship, and the PC framerate is being reduced by the requirement to get updates from the server. Try running Task Manager in the background and watch the network utilisation: easily 1 Mb/s all the time when in the PU. Task Manager also tells me that my GTX 1060 GPU usage is around 25% when this happens: plenty of FPS to spare on the hardware.

Cheers. I haven't actually even played it let alone own it and will be waiting until/if it is done or close to it to do so, but that is a massive reassurance to hear, esp with a 970 being quite close to a 1060 in performance terms (though I imagine I'll have moved up to something else by the time it's done; probably looking at an early 2020 upgrade on the GPU front).

Try it out, someone linked the free trial for weekend above. Bit of a download when it's only Monday left in it.

Gives a hover bike and 3 ships to try out including the mining ship.

• Advertisement

BO***CKS!! I read that and completely forgot it. Going to download now and try after work tomorrow, at least to see how I get on performance wise, if nothing else. Cheers for the reminder.

EDIT: Nah, scratch that actually, looks like their account activation function is completely broken at the moment. Maybe next time.

Advertisement