Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Roadmap updated "fans" seem to be split on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

People will have space ships of their own by the time this thing is out.

Question: Is the FPS campaign or whatever separate? If I backed the kickstarter do I get it???

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SCIE Cu Chulainn

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Roadmap updated "fans" seem to be split on it.

They changed their release model since that was published. Doing quarterly release was putting too much strain on the developers and too much time was being spent on features ready for each quarter, so now they are staggering the quarterly releases so that some stuff is ready every quarter, but the devs have 6 months to develop and test a feature. Doing that in 3-month sprints turned out to be a terrible idea.

To stagger it, something had to give, so A load of things got pushed back to June/July as a result.

Also just PC Gamer et all love to try to stir ****

Edit: I can't believe the F word is censored on boards... lol

Rob2D wrote: »
    People will have space ships of their own by the time this thing is out.

Question: Is the FPS campaign or whatever separate? If I backed the kickstarter do I get it???

Star Citizen = The MMO aka the PU (Persistent Universe)
    Squadron 42 = The separate singleplayer campaign set in the same universe.

The MMO alpha costs €50 to access, you choose one of the two starter ships. It's possible to buy/rent ships with money earned in-game, but it's not easy and due to it being an alpha, bugs and/or planned database resets could wipe out gains. They hope to have eliminated the need to do wipes now, but they haven't promised it.

Squadron 42 is a separate game costing €50, but if you buy both at the same time it's <€75.

Squadron 42 will not be available to test like the MMO. They plan to release it in the "regular" way.

If you backed the kickstarter, I'm guessing that you would own both, but I am not 100% on that.

If your kickstarter pledge makes any reference to owning any ship, you have access to the MMO.

Also just PC Gamer et all love to try to stir ****

Thats a fairly damning road map tho, but hey Prison is coming.....

Would much prefer to be able to land and refuel/repair my ship.

Seen it on Bluesnews not PcGamer

• Advertisement

but hey Prison is coming.....

The irony of prison gameplay releasing when we're all effectively under a type of house arrest isn't lost on me either...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would much prefer to be able to land and refuel/repair my ship.

You can already land and refuel/repair, it's the in air/space repair/refuelling that not there.

Varik wrote: »
    You can already land and refuel/repair, it's the in air/space repair/refuelling that not there.

Have you played this within the last 6 months? it does not work

Known Issues

Sometimes repair services are unavailable when they should be present.

Work-around: Hover before landing and request services just above the pad.

Which is also an intermittent fiix (works sometimes), so imo that should be a top priorty for a game they want you to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone else start to get the feeling this is a massive scam:(:(
    With the amount of money thats been pumped into development there should be a playable game there at this stage.

The alpha has been playable and is being played by a lot of people.

Scams usually make money. They have 500-600 people working at the company.

It seems the less people know about star citizen, the more they have to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still not a videogame, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

People need to realise it is only in development for 8 years now and the funding so far is a few hundred million dollars.

These things take time and money.

People need to realise it is only in development for 8 years now and the funding so far is a few hundred million dollars.

These things take time and money.

Cloud Imperium Games about five people 8 years ago as well.

Reinstalled. Its alot more stable than it was previous and I was plesently surprised by the performance. Dont think my PC is going to be able to run this smoothly anyway. Alot more content addedd, hope they get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

lol it's a known issue and on the roadmap.

Glebee wrote: »
    Reinstalled. Its alot more stable than it was previous and I was plesently surprised by the performance. Dont think my PC is going to be able to run this smoothly anyway. Alot more content addedd, hope they get there eventually.

You playing 3.8 Live or 3.9 PTU?

I'll check out 3.9 when it's gone open PTU. Seemed like it needs a few more days to iron out things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

So I got it wrong, I originally just missed the kickstarter but did a slacker backer thing. It was so long ago I had forgotten. I signed in to see what I'm owed and apparently I'm entitled to a bunch of stuff!

mpouHCQl.png

You playing 3.8 Live or 3.9 PTU?

I'll check out 3.9 when it's gone open PTU. Seemed like it needs a few more days to iron out things.

3.8, just messing about but it is much more stable than I previous saw it, my pc is just not able for it though Im afraid.

3.8, just messing about but it is much more stable than I previous saw it, my pc is just not able for it though Im afraid.

Is it on a SSD, it really needs one.

Varik wrote: »
    Is it on a SSD, it really needs one.

I would be very surprised if they got it working well enough to say it was stable off a HDD.

• Advertisement

No dont have SSD, no plans to upgrade just for this. Everything else running well so no immediate plans to upgrade. Sayingthat it is a lot more playable than I remember it. Before there was mo way I could play where as now its definitly very playable.

No dont have SSD, no plans to upgrade just for this. Everything else running well so no immediate plans to upgrade. Sayingthat it is a lot more playable than I remember it. Before there was mo way I could play where as now its definitly very playable.

Jesus, I'm very surprised.

Regardless if you play Star Citizen or not, if you got an SSD and used it alongside your existing storage, you'd never go back. Windows boots nearly as quickly as the monitor switches on for me. Everyday computing is better. Just FYI

Don't think there's any other PC game that requires as much but going forward that'll change, even the consoles are SSD only next gen.

Im due a PC upgrade maybe end of next year, ill limp along as I am for the moment seeing as its running good. Whats the bets ill have the new PC for Squadran 42.:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Of all the pc upgrades i've had in the last 5 yrars or so, an SSD was the most noticeable improvement. Massive decrease in loading and boot times, and i couldn't go back now.

I paid €170 for a 120 GB SSD in 2011

And even if they were still that price I'd be including them in system builds.

But you can now get a 500GB SSD for €75.

Umm I have Star Citizen...5 SSDs(SC is on one of them) A 9900k and a 1080Ti (cant justify a 2080ti for 200% cost for 20%)

This game runs kinda well as long as you are not in a hub (known issue) it does play well when you are out there but im gonna wait a few years for it.

Nothing else runs well, pick up a box to deliver (the grindy missons you have to do to make money(unless you bought a better ship) yeah you have to grind deliveroo boxes that literally vanish in front of your eyes) Delivering packages is not a worthwhile job in SC.

Kill pirates...aw right imma head out in the my (Aegis Avenger or Mustang thing) * note I paid money for a 2nd ship.

So here we are the game has pirates, bounties, mining, deliveroo but none of it ****ing works and im supposed to pew pew in a ship that is utterly ****e, I should buy a better one or earn money I cant keep, last update wiped my 22k to 0k and if I earn more that will be wiped when then the game launches, if I buy ships with my deliveroo money they will be wiped, but if I buy them with real money I can keep them.....ohhhhh

Gonna ask just for clarity? I own the game I do intend to play it, whats the ****ing point of all this? Plz read above before replying, the only people enjoying mining are people who BOUGHT mining ships with real money.

Gonna ask just for clarity? I own the game I do intend to play it, whats the ****ing point of all this? Plz read above before replying, the only people enjoying mining are people who BOUGHT mining ships with real money.

The point in it is them to continue to promise more features to justify never ended stages of crowd funding. This will ensure the high up employees can have large salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Umm I have Star Citizen...5 SSDs(SC is on one of them) A 9900k and a 1080Ti (cant justify a 2080ti for 200% cost for 20%)

This game runs kinda well as long as you are not in a hub (known issue) it does play well when you are out there but im gonna wait a few years for it.

Nothing else runs well, pick up a box to deliver (the grindy missons you have to do to make money(unless you bought a better ship) yeah you have to grind deliveroo boxes that literally vanish in front of your eyes) Delivering packages is not a worthwhile job in SC.

Kill pirates...aw right imma head out in the my (Aegis Avenger or Mustang thing) * note I paid money for a 2nd ship.

So here we are the game has pirates, bounties, mining, deliveroo but none of it ****ing works and im supposed to pew pew in a ship that is utterly ****e, I should buy a better one or earn money I cant keep, last update wiped my 22k to 0k and if I earn more that will be wiped when then the game launches, if I buy ships with my deliveroo money they will be wiped, but if I buy them with real money I can keep them.....ohhhhh

Apart from the obvious scam comments it's the joy you get from this early access bollixs we're inflicted with these days. You get to enjoy playing the game in an unplayable state and when the game finally releases in a playable state (lol, I'm sure that will happen) you'll already be bored and will mostly have moved on.

I imagine a sequel will be announced soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I imagine a sequel will be announced soon.

DLC first, then a prequel, then a remaster, and then a sequel.

Advertisement