Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really can't see how people are into a game so much as to invest these kind if figures, when it's not even fully made yet. It's kinda gotten me scared of the game now... I feel like there's something about it I'm not understanding here.

To quote my favourite movie...
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Everyone who has put money into it just hopes it can be exactly what is sounds like. A massive, AAA space game with all the bells and whistles added on. We've not seen anything like this in a long time, so we hope it lives up to expectations. If it works, it could be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Tempted to buy the Starfarer....but too expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Tempted to buy the Starfarer....but too expensive...
    Too expensive? what a cheap ass you are! 145€ is nothing for a game that isn't out yet, sure aren't you supporting the developers, might as well get a founders packs for 50€ to buy the game too. in my opinion i think everyone should give a months salary for Mr Roberts for being such a visionary

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

If this was another wing commander game then I'd be all over it. Might check it out when it's on a steam sale.

$31 million! That's bloody insane. Is it ever going to stop? If it's not the best game ever made, a hell of a lot of people will be disappointed.

I do think they should stop added stretch goals now, and just focus on getting the game out. Any word on if the dogfighting module is still on schedule for December? I really hope they give us some proper news in today's 4 hour livestream.

• Advertisement

Idris for sale, limited number $1250

Banu Merchantman $250

X'ian Scout $150

Interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

such cheap. Many deals. Wow.

Haha. Just had a peek there, the idris is already sold out.
    Man people sure are hyped up over this game, it's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Star Citizen team will be hosting a 4 hour livestream starting at 7pm tonight;
    http://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13396-Star-Citizen-Anniversary-Livestream-Sale

Almost $32 million now!
    These ship sales really have people digging deep in their pockets,
    but I'm actually going to step back from getting one, they have plenty of money!
    The only thing that grabs me atm are one of these huge Star Citizen mouse-mats @ €28;
    http://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/goliath-mousepads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

looks like they'll hit the 32million target within the hour too, i checked earlier today (an hour ago) and it was 31.6m it's at 31.9 now.

That's some serious spending going on there :)

Was tempted to buy the Starfarer yday or the Banu today, but too close to Christmas :(

Would anyone spend the 1250 on a Idris if you could?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Was tempted to buy the Starfarer yday or the Banu today, but too close to Christmas :(

People will spend stupid amounts of money for digital pixels o0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

A couple of friends are actually gutted they keep missing the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Venom wrote: »
    People will spend stupid amounts of money for digital pixels o0

funny thing is
    when the game is released I'd give it 6months at the minimum before someone who has not bought anything bar the game itself to catch up to people who spent over a thousand quid buying in game ships

I could of sworn I've seen some people in this thread who have done that complain about micro transactions when this is probably the most expensive micro transactions I've ever seen:pac: still the game does look great but I can see some people will be let down over the amount of money they put into a game not even made yet that turns out too be a big letdown
    hopefully it won't be, wonder if my pc can handle it :D

I'm just going to buy the lowest pledge, so i get the game. I'd much rather earn the ships in game then just have them sitting there on day 1.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm just going to buy the lowest pledge, so i get the game. I'd much rather earn the ships in game then just have them sitting there on day 1.

I've found my perfect balance of ships (and made some profit off selling LTI Bombers early on)
    Retaliator
    Constellation
    Super Hornet

Not saying i'm not tempted by the Hornet however...looks sweet. Just don't fancy spending $110 on the basic version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Good live-stream, I enjoyed it.
    Now Chris is off to write another stretch-goal "Letter from the Chairman",
    the day after his last one.
    That's almost €2 million made in one day!

Honestly, I think I'll enjoy starting Star Citizen with just my Aurora... and a map, lol.
    Out of all the games I've played & enjoyed, from Frontier:Elite to Minecraft to X3:Albion Prelude (which I'm playing right now),
    there's a lot of fun and appreciation to be had with starting from zero and building up an Empire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    funny thing is
    when the game is released I'd give it 6months at the minimum before someone who has not bought anything bar the game itself to catch up to people who spent over a thousand quid buying in game ships

I could of sworn I've seen some people in this thread who have done that complain about micro transactions when this is probably the most expensive micro transactions I've ever seen:pac: still the game does look great but I can see some people will be let down over the amount of money they put into a game not even made yet that turns out too be a big letdown
    hopefully it won't be, wonder if my pc can handle it :D

Not to mention the dev team have to keep making slightly better ships every few months to ensure the cash cow is fed :)

Not saying i'm not tempted by the Hornet however...looks sweet. Just don't fancy spending $110 on the basic version.

If I had the disposable cash for and Idris plus the ships I have I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The one thing i hope they do well is to allow for a good sense of exploration. I love the idea of just being able to pick a direction, and try find random events or anomalies to scan/investigate. I'm all for combat, but i definitely don't want to just do that.

Also, scavenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that livestream last night proved to be a whopper of an advertisement, they made another million between 7pm and wee hours this morning, bringing the tally to 33million :eek:

that livestream last night proved to be a whopper of an advertisement, they made another million between 7pm and wee hours this morning, bringing the tally to 33million :eek:

I think that was the biggest livestream pledge drive yet even bigger than the 24 hour long ones but it was the end of LTI sale too.

Seems the big ships (Connie, etc) will not be available for dog fighting,

only the small fighers (aurora, avenger, hornet, etc)

Wonder would you use the P52-Snub?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I do think they should stop added stretch goals now, and just focus on getting the game out.

Why on Earth would they? They've gone to all of this effort creating a cult around a game that doesn't exist yet, and it seems like they can farm it for more cash than most fully-fledged games could ever hope to make - why on Earth would they stop? They can likely make more money stoking the hype flames and letting people pay for how awesome they imagine it will be, than they could with a real game they have to release.

People's insane desires for computer game spaceships are paying their mortgages and sending their kids to college. You can bet they are paying themselves massive salaries out of the pledge money.

Funding as more or less stopped last couple of days it seems (post 26th)

Funding as more or less stopped last couple of days it seems (post 26th)

At this point we'll mostly see smaller jumps. New ships etc and physical items will be the things to raise the pledge drive now.

R0ot wrote: »
    At this point we'll mostly see smaller jumps. New ships etc and physical items will be the things to raise the pledge drive now.

probably weapon ungrades for dogfighting

Weapons for firing range

The Origin 890i

And couple of odd ships like Frigate.

probably weapon ungrades for dogfighting

Weapons for firing range

The Origin 890i

And couple of odd ships like Frigate.

Are they planning on selling weapon upgrades? Cause that sounds like it would give people a massive advantage. Pretty much the definition of P2W.

Are they planning on selling weapon upgrades? Cause that sounds like it would give people a massive advantage. Pretty much the definition of P2W.

Weapon upgrades are possible but only with UEE credits.

Do not think you can use real cash to buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Weapon upgrades are possible but only with UEE credits.

Do not think you can use real cash to buy them.

You can buy UEE credits with real cash

Advertisement