Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

[Rasta] wrote: »
    You can buy UEE credits with real cash

From what was said in the broadcasts and forum, those 'voyager' store items will be very limited and mostly used for cosmetics.

When the game actually kicks off the currency will change somewhat, between SC credits and UEE earned credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm very proud that I've held out this long. Very proud. Won't break. No, Sir! Won't break...

nesf wrote: »
    I'm very proud that I've held out this long. Very proud. Won't break. No, Sir! Won't break...

Tick Tock, goes the goes the clock.....until you buy an Banu Merchantman.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

You could go for the entry level completionist package, only $15k. ;)

actually those are sold out!

You'll have to settle with a measly wing commander package for $10k

You could go for the entry level completionist package, only $15k. ;)

actually those are sold out!

You'll have to settle with a measly wing commander package for $10k

No, I'd want Alpha/Beta access if I gave it any money upfront. It's gotten past the point where I'd give it cash just to see the game made (I'm convinced it'll see release now even if no one else gave a penny).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

No, I'd want Alpha/Beta access if I gave it any money upfront. It's gotten past the point where I'd give it cash just to see the game made (I'm convinced it'll see release now even if no one else gave a penny).

Well, they even said themselves the amount of funding they got is more than they could have imagined.
    So, it's basically a given that the game will be finished, but it's another question whether it's actually going to be good or not.
    The instancing and the microtransaction stuff has me a bit unsure.

Still lot to sort out alright, but everyone has such high hopes.

If this game flops......internet may explode.

Well, they even said themselves the amount of funding they got is more than they could have imagined.
    So, it's basically a given that the game will be finished, but it's another question whether it's actually going to be good or not.
    The instancing and the microtransaction stuff has me a bit unsure.

I don't mind microtransactions hugely so long as I don't feel like I'm a cow to be milked (e.g. World of Tanks' stock grinds where without paying real money you face 100+ games in a very, very weak tank in order to get something playable). I'm ok with time vs money, e.g. if you have money but not time you can reduce the grind but if you have no money or don't want to pay you can just grind it out and have the same top end equipment. What I dislike is when they make the game experience deliberately unpleasant unless you hand over money as opposed to simply a time sink.

Cosmetic stuff like Paradox does for its grand strategy games is always welcome I think. Totally optional but gives the developer a bit more cash with which to make more games with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Some interesting videos on Ideas from a player to the CIG

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwpVUrhrnWfmvOXeILWwBHA/videos

34$ million without any sort of special promotion and minus LTI

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13420-Letter-From-The-Chairman-34-Million

Would also recommend watching Wingman's hangar!

• Advertisement

And we could be getting a stellar graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So whats the bottom line on this, pay to win model?

Absolutely sick of them to be fair, it's a ****e model that just waters down skill and enjoyment. Not wasting a penny if its a case someone with zero skill and a bit of cash can just insta buy powerful stuff

TheDoc wrote: »
    So whats the bottom line on this, pay to win model?

Absolutely sick of them to be fair, it's a ****e model that just waters down skill and enjoyment. Not wasting a penny if its a case someone with zero skill and a bit of cash can just insta buy powerful stuff

The first thing that makes me think no is that they're giving private servers out from the start or near start. If you're building a P2W F2P game this is not how you do it (easier to encourage people to dip into the wallet when it comes to "catching up," private servers just allow groups to progress along at their own pace without having to worry about wallet warriors etc).

Time will tell though as usual.

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

in a lot of ways im glad i picked to back Elite dangerous over star citizen.
    Although this has already lead to a good few arguments with people akin to the xbox ps4 fanboy arguments, one quite funny argument i had over the 2 games was with a guy who swore bling Elite was a rip off of star citizen :D
    yes star citizen has sourced stupid ammounts of money and is a right cash cow but Elite is doing alright and has just that bit more history behind it.
    its also got the edge over the 2 games imo.

jingles if you know of him has recently given Elite a bit of coverage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X88vvPDpVc
    can already see the spam war though in the comments though.
    vid is worth watching to the end as jingles puts a good argument across abotu the game

Im backing both. More space games the better. Other than the x-rebirth crud....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

Im backing both. More space games the better. Other than the x-rebirth crud....

yeah i heard rebirth has more bugs in it than a episode of im a celebrity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ostensibly it does seem pay-to-win, but the only thing I'd say about that is everything in the game will be obtainable without spending real money (beyond purchasing the game). However if it takes 10 years of playing 8 hours a day that obviously isn't much good.

danthefan wrote: »
    Ostensibly it does seem pay-to-win, but the only thing I'd say about that is everything in the game will be obtainable without spending real money (beyond purchasing the game). However if it takes 10 years of playing 8 hours a day that obviously isn't much good.

Yeah, balance is very important in this. In Mechwarrior Online you can with real money buy premium mechs (only available for money) and regular mechs (available also for in-game money). It's not considered to be that big a deal by most people because whilst the premium mechs are usually good they're not automatic picks over regular mechs for competitive play or if you were picking them for effectiveness. Normally the only reason someone is in a premium mech is for the +30% ingame currency generation and that's it really, people would really prefer to be able to buy some kind of module which gave this benefit and put it into a regular mech of their choosing generally speaking.

Time vs Money is fine, so long as the grind isn't too long without putting in some money (something that is very hard to balance in F2P games, WarThunder are still messing about quite a lot with their economy to try and balance xp vs cash gains, so is MechWarrior and even old stalwarts like World of Tanks are tweaking the balance to get the desired mix of fast enough to not drive way the free player base that keep the game servers full and busy but slow enough to encourage people with free cash to spend a little).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The dogfighting module has been pushed back. Probably not surprising, and i'm ok with it if it means releasing a more polished product.

However, I do think they need to get more actual game content out, and actually show us more of what they are doing. At this stage, we should have seen more of the actual work that's going on with the game itself, rather than just seeing new ships and features being added. Hopefully they don't continue to miss their targets, and actually get something of note completed soon.
    "I feel that the Dogfighting module, especially with Star Citizen’s greatly increased profile, needs to be more polished than a typical 'alpha'," writes Roberts in his lengthy update. "There are a lot of eyes on the game, and more than a few people wanting us to fail. Because Dogfighting is the first module that will involve significant gameplay, it has to be good – I don’t feel that we will get a pass just because it is pre-pre alpha.

"So we had two choices: either fork development and spend time building something that would involve throwing away work in order to meet the December deadline and deliver something that wouldn’t have the level of polish I’m happy with, or stay on course to build something that would lead directly into the finished game."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/17/star-citizens-dogfighting-module-delayed-to-allow-for-fine-tuning-better-server-backend/

New Hangar patch is live!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13439-Hangar-Patch-10-Available

Also a competition relating to Foundry42 - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13438-Foundry-42-Opening-Contest

And the 50th (1 year anniversary) Wingman's hangar!

Just entering this thread? Don't want to have to read all the forums and watch all the previous youtube videos etc ?

Watch these then!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRJiX7uTHqJ9vwv_CcWTQ5U7aGSisSqhr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Didnt think it looked that great, especially given what ED is showing.

Hope everyone enjoyed the Christmas break, while it is disappointing we aren't all playing the Dogfighting module I have patience (and DayZ) to wait. It's looking like maybe April from the rumor mill.

SC reached $36million without any kind of special offers or deals (a lot on physical items though I guess) and it continues to rise albeit slower (averageing $70k a day is slow right?) than when LTI was available. New ships still to appear prior to launch of course so it's not done yet.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13464-Letter-From-The-Chairman-36-Million

The greatest starship entries closed recently so we'll get to see that player made ship soon. A new short wingman's hangar about their new office in Texas

Some other new vids about the judges for the competition also and what they are looking for.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/feed?filter=2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so what package did most people go for as I am unsure what the differences are?

I went all out...Connie package.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I went all out...Connie package.

Did you just spend $275 on a game that doesn't exist yet?

This thing is such a cult. You are the Scientologists of the gaming world.

Zillah wrote: »

I did, I want to see this game developed.

You sound a bit trollish in your assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Zillah wrote: »

People have spent more money on things that gave them less enjoyment. No harm spending money if you think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I think I went for the €35 package a year or two ago. Standard ship, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

humanji wrote: »
    People have spent more money on things that gave them less enjoyment. No harm spending money if you think it's worth it.
    There's a few problems with that statement. Most obviously: the game has given no enjoyment to date. What with it not being released yet. It may never give any enjoyment, that's the gamble inherent in pre-ordering or Kickstarter.

On a more general level, some purchases are just follies. I'm not going to lie, I consider spending $250 on a ship in a game that hasn't been released yet to count as one
    I did, I want to see this game developed.
    And it wouldn't have been if you'd spent €20-30?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Reekwind wrote: »
    There's a few problems with that statement. Most obviously: the game has given no enjoyment to date. What with it not being released yet. It may never give any enjoyment, that's the gamble inherent in pre-ordering or Kickstarter.

On a more general level, some purchases are just follies. I'm not going to lie, I consider spending $250 on a ship in a game that hasn't been released yet to count as one

And it wouldn't have been if you'd spent €20-30?

hell some people spend that much on fifa possible more with the coins
    I don't see a problem

but personally I would not be able too hand over 250 quid in one lump sum for a game that has not been released yet
    and it would probably take me over the course of two years of enjoying that game too put even close too that kinda money into it

but he is helping :) need more people like him I say

Advertisement