Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Citizen (Thinly veiled 'How many Irish backing this?')

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Reekwind wrote: »
    There's a few problems with that statement. Most obviously: the game has given no enjoyment to date. What with it not being released yet. It may never give any enjoyment, that's the gamble inherent in pre-ordering or Kickstarter.
    This guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyLCB7FRBQk and many, many others disagree with you. They're already enjoying what is essentially an unfinished showroom module. You don't think it'll be enjoyable, but that doesn't mean there's no enjoyment to be gotten out of it.
    On a more general level, some purchases are just follies. I'm not going to lie, I consider spending $250 on a ship in a game that hasn't been released yet to count as one

But again, that's just you. If you have the money to spend on something and you'd like to spend money on it, who am I or anyone else to say it's a follie and to then claim you're part of a cult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

humanji wrote: »
    This guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyLCB7FRBQk and many, many others disagree with you. They're already enjoying what is essentially an unfinished showroom module
    Hence why I chose the word 'game' carefully. The game is not yet ready, I don't think anyone denies that (not even in that video). People can get excited about the sight of a cardboard box, in anticipation of what's to come, but that's not the same as enjoying the product within
    But again, that's just you. If you have the money to spend on something and you'd like to spend money on it, who am I or anyone else to say it's a follie and to then claim you're part of a cult?
    Which is an argument of complete relativism. I could spend twenty grand on a fine work of art and then set it on fire while dancing around the pyre in the nip. Yet you'd have me believe that no one could criticise this because I got enjoyment from it? Nonsense

There is such a thing as value. No matter how you calculate it (be it supply/demand, utility, labour, whatever) goods have a value. Spend vastly in excess of that value (particularly when the product doesn't actually exist yet) and your purchase is open to question
    2Mad2BeMad wrote:
    hell some people spend that much on fifa possible more with the coins
    While I wouldn't do that myself (and have an issue with games that allow it) that's pretty different. At least you're making an informed purchase; a misguided purchase, perhaps, but you know what you're getting. But to invest that much money for a product that doesn't exist... well that's crazy

And I don't mean to be harsh on anyone who did splash out $250 on a virtual ship in a game that hasn't been made yet but that's a lot of money to be gambling

Hence why I chose the word 'game' carefully. The game is not yet ready, I don't think anyone denies that (not even in that video). People can get excited about the sight of a cardboard box, in anticipation of what's to come, but that's not the same as enjoying the product within
    But people ARE enjoying what is there now. That's the point. And they've more enjoyment to come. They're happy, so let them be happy.
    Which is an argument of complete relativism. I could spend twenty grand on a fine work of art and then set it on fire while dancing around the pyre in the nip. Yet you'd have me believe that no one could criticise this because I got enjoyment from it? Nonsense
    No, people can criticise what they want. But they can't claim that you didn't enjoy yourself, when you did. And, as the other user did, just insulting people (intentional or not) is hardly fair either.
    There is such a thing as value. No matter how you calculate it (be it supply/demand, utility, labour, whatever) goods have a value. Spend vastly in excess of that value (particularly when the product doesn't actually exist yet) and your purchase is open to question
    But the value of anything is what you yourself put on it. If you're happy to spend a large amount of money on something, then so be it. That's the value of it to you. If not, then you don't. Anyone can question your actions, but that doesn't mean they're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

humanji wrote: »
    But people ARE enjoying what is there now.

My issue is that the only reason that they're able to enjoy the showroom is that the as-of-yet non-existent game is being dangled in front of them and they're allowing their imaginations run wild. No one, anywhere, would spend anything resembling the sort of money we have seen if it was just a show room.

They're paying for a promise. A promise that I think is going to be broken, because the devs are never, ever going to be able to make a game that lives up to the expectations of the people spending huge amounts of money on this 'game'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zillah wrote: »
    My issue is that the only reason that they're able to enjoy the showroom is that the as-of-yet non-existent game is being dangled in front of them and they're allowing their imaginations run wild. No one, anywhere, would spend anything resembling the sort of money we have seen if it was just a show room.

They're paying for a promise. A promise that I think is going to be broken, because the devs are never, ever going to be able to make a game that lives up to the expectations of the people spending huge amounts of money on this 'game'.

Well isnt it great no one is making you buy the game so.

I am paying for a game to be developed, and get a better ship at the starting point. I am happy to part with my own hard earned cash for this project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I don't see why that should be any skin off your back. The more these people spend the better chance it has of meeting whatever your own less financially motivated expectations are.

I hope it turns into something special... if its a flop.. well i won't be losing any sleep on it.

Well isnt it great no one is making you buy the game so.
    Magill wrote: »
    I don't see why that should be any skin off your back.

Never said it affected me. There's a reason I feel sad when I think of John Travolta or Tom Cruise.

Never said it affected me. There's a reason I feel sad when I think of John Travolta or Tom Cruise.

Then stop thinking about them and your life will be much happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Well I just got the cheapest $30 one. Not even beta or alpha for just the simple reason I had my fill of 'balance' complaints in other online games. Hopefully I can stay away from the forums and avoid most of that. :)

See Patch 11 fixes the freelancer cockpit and adds turrets to the Cutlass.

DFM in mid April from what Wingman said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I just bought the ORIGIN 300i PACKAGE. I like the fact that this is crowed funded and the guy making it has a real passion for what he is doing. Looking forward to the DFM in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Only recently found out about this game,looks like I'm gonna gave to buy a new graphics card just for this game :( Do they have any plans for release date yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Only recently found out about this game,looks like I'm gonna gave to buy a new graphics card just for this game :( Do they have any plans for release date yet?

2015 release of the full product.

But I'd say we'll be getting some kind of playable demonstration in 2014.

4Dlolz wrote: »
    2015 release of the full product.

But I'd say we'll be getting some kind of playable demonstration in 2014.

DFM Mid-April 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

DFM Mid-April 2014

Nice. At least we'll see some combat. It's a start. :)

Exactly. Although everyone will be flying a hornet to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

$39,000,000 stretch goal reached!
    http://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13588-Letter-From-The-Chairman-39-Million

$40 Million stretch-goal is kinda cool. Procedurally generated worlds to explore.

I'll admit I've kinda tuned-out of following this for a couple of months,
    but I reckon things will be heating up rapid as Dog Fighting Module release gets nearer.

Anyone created an organisation yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Hmm is this 39 million a lot of money? I don't have a clue how much money is usually needed to make a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Hmm is this 39 million a lot of money? I don't have a clue how much money is usually needed to make a game :)

Yeah it is. Some games have much bigger budgets (gta cost like 250m) next biggest budgets are around 100m.

40m would put it around the top 20-30 most expensive games I think.

A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality.

lol

• Advertisement

Moon54 wrote: »
    $39,000,000 stretch goal reached!
    http://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13588-Letter-From-The-Chairman-39-Million

$40 Million stretch-goal is kinda cool. Procedurally generated worlds to explore.

I'll admit I've kinda tuned-out of following this for a couple of months,
    but I reckon things will be heating up rapid as Dog Fighting Module release gets nearer.

Anyone created an organisation yet?

No, I joined the Imperium.

Although Id happily help form an Irish Brigade or Boardzie group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Will happily help man any rich boardsies monster ship on release. Will try make Chewie noises aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Can anyone tell me what the cheapest package i can get for this that gets me a copy of the game when its released and access to the hangar thingy and dogfighting when it comes out?
    Also access to the alpha and betas

Can i still do it on kickstarter or do i have to go to the devs site? Ive never used kickstarter before

Also if there is a reason i should get a slightly better package please let me know,id rather look at value not price if that makes any sense,figure the cheapest package is a good place to start looking at though

EDIT: After having a quick look i see its the dev site now i think!!

Was looking at the Aurora MR+(€32) or the Aurora LN(€36),next one up being the 300i(€52).not sure what the differences between the Aurora class ones is. There is also the standard Aurora(€24) but that looks incredibly cheap!! The highest id go is about the €60 mark but unless somebody tells me the ones in that price range are significantly better ill probably go with the Aurora LN. Id also stretch to the 325A(€64) if it was REALLY worth it. \

So any advice appreciated folks,cheers:)

Noblong wrote: »
    Will happily help man any rich boardsies monster ship on release. Will try make Chewie noises aswell :)

I won an Idris-P over the Christmas hols when the raffles were on ;)

EoinHef wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the cheapest package i can get for this that gets me a copy of the game when its released and access to the hangar thingy and dogfighting when it comes out?
    Also access to the alpha and betas

Can i still do it on kickstarter or do i have to go to the devs site? Ive never used kickstarter before

Also if there is a reason i should get a slightly better package please let me know,id rather look at value not price if that makes any sense,figure the cheapest package is a good place to start looking at though

EDIT: After having a quick look i see its the dev site now i think!!

Was looking at the Aurora MR+(€32) or the Aurora LN(€36),next one up being the 300i(€52).not sure what the differences between the Aurora class ones is. There is also the standard Aurora(€24) but that looks incredibly cheap!! The highest id go is about the €60 mark but unless somebody tells me the ones in that price range are significantly better ill probably go with the Aurora LN. Id also stretch to the 325A(€64) if it was REALLY worth it. \

So any advice appreciated folks,cheers:)

Aurora LN is a basic ship but will do you fine for the start of the game. A small hardy little worker. Easy to fuel and re-arm. Welcome to the verse ;)

Aurora LN is a basic ship but will do you fine for the start of the game. A small hardy little worker. Easy to fuel and re-arm. Welcome to the verse ;)

Thanks man,probably buy it in the morning after work then. Is there any add ons for it i should be looking at for it? Also is it possible to change ship i buy at a later date? Just looking on the forums and a lot of people talking about "melting" ships they have bought?

Been wanting to get a space sim for awhile now and been looking at X-Rebirth and Elite:Dangerous alpha also and Star Citizen is the one that appeals to me most.(Even though its not out yet:pac:)

Also bought Freespace 2 there awhile ago but never got round to installing the FS2O mod as i made a mess of it first try. Gonna get it installed friday,i was just lazy last time!!

Ill probably be asking newb questions here from time to time,just trying to get into the lore etc for Star Citizen and only really starting to look in to it properly now.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Been keeping tabs on this for a while. Is their a confirmed release date and is it worth picking up now.

Thanks man,probably buy it in the morning after work then. Is there any add ons for it i should be looking at for it? Also is it possible to change ship i buy at a later date? Just looking on the forums and a lot of people talking about "melting" ships they have bought?

Been wanting to get a space sim for awhile now and been looking at X-Rebirth and Elite:Dangerous alpha also and Star Citizen is the one that appeals to me most.(Even though its not out yet:pac:)

Also bought Freespace 2 there awhile ago but never got round to installing the FS2O mod as i made a mess of it first try. Gonna get it installed friday,i was just lazy last time!!

Ill probably be asking newb questions here from time to time,just trying to get into the lore etc for Star Citizen and only really starting to look in to it properly now.

Thanks for the advice
    Keep away from X-Rebirth. The game is a joke. The previous one, X: Albion Prelude is much more like what Star citizen and Elite Dangerous will be like.
    Glebee wrote: »
    Been keeping tabs on this for a while. Is their a confirmed release date and is it worth picking up now.
    Sometime in 2015, but there's no firm date set as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stewie579

Im willing to start a group, anyone with me?

My god the visuals are so impressive in the hangar:eek:

And ive only got the Aurora LN and s*%$ hangar.

Amazingly the hangar also supports crossfire,luckily cause 1 7950 certainly not gonna cut it at 1440p at this early stage

• Advertisement

Your better off not melting your first purchase ship or 'package' since this starts the ticker for when you first backed and which rewards you are entitled to, not to mention it keeps your alpha tester status.

Avoid X-Rebirth like the plague......its been renamed by the crowd on Steam as 'X-Stillbirth'. One time, and only time I ever requested and got a refund from Steam.
    Glebee wrote: »

Dogfighting module in two weeks time. Id say all alpha slots gone once that hits the web ;)
    stewie579 wrote: »
    Im willing to start a group, anyone with me?

Could be if we could get enough support, otherwise we will get ganked.
    My god the visuals are so impressive in the hangar:eek:

And ive only got the Aurora LN and s*%$ hangar.

Amazingly the hangar also supports crossfire,luckily cause 1 7950 certainly not gonna cut it at 1440p at this early stage

I know...with the new PBR soon, epicness! Although thanks to Chris Roberts we will now need to upgraded PC's

Advertisement