Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRC~ Centrefires?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭

Lads, do any of ya know if you can shoot centrefire rifles in BRC near Tallaght?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

AFAIK no.

However it has been a while since i was last there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

in fact it is allowed but only to members who use a moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

ring them and check with your calibre to before you join, great club, and great range ,unfortunatley i couldn use my .270 wby mag so no point in joining for myself

That is probably because of the range SI (622/2011) where a 4,500J limit on firearms for any range under 300 metres/yards.

This means some .308, 30-06, 7mm, 6.5x284, etc, etc, are not allowed to be fired at distances shorter than 300 yards/metres. This sis with certain rounds/loads so it does not mean that these calibers are all out no matter the round.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Criminally stupid concept, considering all the really high energy stuff is for use up close. The idea of firing a big bore rifle at 300m is just stupid, when in reality it's for use when metres can measure in single digits.

• Advertisement

I don't fully understand the reasoning behind it myself.

A 300 WinMag with the right bullet cannot be fired at under 300 metres yet a lot of lads use these for hunting/stalking. There is an exception for zeroing at 25 yards, but this is no much use if you cannot verify that your markings for 100 yards at 25 are accurate.

If it is for safety reasons then more attention to the size of the backstop would seem the better option. So if there are high caliber rifles being fired rather than impose a minimum distance impose a higher, wider, and deeper baffle/berm safety system. If a range can do neither then they don't allowing the firing of those calibers.

I've seen a .308 and up to 7WSM being fired and they stop after 10-12 inches to a max off 17 inches when fired into sand/backstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's no good reason I can conceive of, and there's certainly absolutely nothing to be achieved by shooting a big game rifle at 300m when it's going to be fired standing at somewhere between your feet and 50m in its actual use. If you can't zero it at a practical range it's redundant. 25 yards is a lot more useful than 300m in that instance!

Advertisement