Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest van hire for going to UK and back?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 2:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I intend to hire a van as I want to bring some items back from the UK.
    These include some bicycles and boxes of possessions etc.

Is it expensive to hire a van in Dublin from one of the rental firms if you wish
    to take it to the UK?

Ideally I'd hire it Friday morning, board the ferry and return it on Sunday.

I am not willing to use a courier or 'man with van' type service for this.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of doing same and if you could recommend anywhere.

I'll probably need a lwb Transit or something similiar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I rented a large transit from Enterprise last feb 12 months. Picked it up early Sat morning and returned monday morning for about €90.

Couldn't fault it actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    I rented a large transit from Enterprise last feb 12 months. Picked it up early Sat morning and returned monday morning for about €90.

Did your signed contract with them actually allow you to drive the van out of this country though????

Some van/car hire companies will not allow this to happen.

So if you were to have an accident or the van is broken into in another country,you are in a spot of bother right there.;):pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

90 seems very cheap. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Enterprise's terms changed last December - now a €150 non refundable charge on top of rental cost for taking the van overseas:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Have a look at http://www.jpvanrental.ie/. We're using them in a few weeks time to do something quite similar. Rental is about 130 for a large transit, but you have to provide your own insurance and take out an AA 5-star policy for the time the van will be overseas.

• Advertisement

Have a look at http://www.jpvanrental.ie/. We're using them in a few weeks time to do something quite similar. Rental is about 130 for a large transit, but you have to provide your own insurance and take out an AA 5-star policy for the time the van will be overseas.

Oh right. How much does the AA cover cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

panama wrote: »
    Oh right. How much does the AA cover cost?

It depends on if you have any other policies with them or not. The rental company will organise it for you. I think it starts at €59 for the weekend.

It depends on if you have any other policies with them or not. The rental company will organise it for you. I think it starts at €59 for the weekend.

Thanks for that. 130+59 isn't bad at all.

Sorry for another newbie question but is the tank normally empty when you hire or do they even quarter fill it?

Advertisement