Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rights do I have if I am sub-letting from the lease-holder?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am about to sub-let a place for a few months. The current tenants have gotten permission from the landlord to sub-let as they aren't able to complete the lease term themselves.
    I have paid my deposit to the current tenants.
    Just wondering, there are a couple of problems with the house. Will the landlord entertain me if I call him? I haven't signed anything with him or with anyone at all.
    Who is my non-existent contract with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The tenants from whom you are renting are your landlords (also know as the head-tenant) and must comply with all landlord obligations.

Any problems you have, should be directed to your landlord. However, if there are problems in the house already, you should seriously reconsider whether it is worth renting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

How bad are the problems do you mind me asking? Because it will be the orig. tenants who will have to sort them out for you, not the LL.
    And beware of being used as a scapegoat and not getting your deposit back at the end of it for stuff the first crowd of tenants broke etc.
    Ideally you should get an inventory and take pics too. Every renter should do this to cover their backs anyway. Receipts & rentbook too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

FTroydon wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am about to sub-let a place for a few months. The current tenants have gotten permission from the landlord to sub-let as they aren't able to complete the lease term themselves.
    I have paid my deposit to the current tenants.
    Just wondering, there are a couple of problems with the house. Will the landlord entertain me if I call him? I haven't signed anything with him or with anyone at all.
    Who is my non-existent contract with?

Will you be living with the current tenants or are you taking full control of the property?
    Ensure you get a receipt for your deposit. What is your follow up if they disappear with your deposit? Do you know where they are currently living?

Advertisement