Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Annilihation sequel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

That would be amazing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Aside from the name what will this offer us new that gas powered games hasn't already done with supreme commander as the *spiritual* sequel?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Nostalgia at worst? Greatest game of all time at best?
    Ill happily take something in the middle.
    You can never ever have enough strategy games if you ask me

Nostalgia at worst? Greatest game of all time at best?

no pressure then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Supreme Commander was basically already a sequel, and it wasn't very good. The reason Total Annihilation was awesome had nothing to do with the specific intellectual property (no one is desperately eager to hear more about the Arm and the Core duking it out), nor are any of the units or designs essential to it either. It was the gameplay, and the core elements of that are free to be used and re-used how anyone likes, as we saw in Supreme Commander, even though they did a fairly dry execution of them in my opinion.

There's zero reason to get excited about the IP falling into someone else's hands because nothing that was good in TA was attached to the IP, it was the intelligence of the people who designed it.

The good news is that many of the people that made TA are doing a kickstarter-backed spiritual successor called Planetary Annihilation and it's looking like it might be a lot of fun.

Website
    Video

Tell me if you recognise the voice in that video :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Eh most people will argue Supreme Commander was good.

I would disagree with most people, then. It wasn't painfully bad, but I doubt I got more than 8 hours out of it. Too clean and clinical, too superficial. I probably got 100+ out of TA. There's a reason I still hear people going on about TA and not SC.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You into these type of games for multiplayer or single player?

wasnt there an open source version of total annihilation a while back?

Supreme Commander was *ok* yeah it had that massive scale, but aside from the wow factor it added little to the game, (units acted the same pretty much regardless of size)

what I loved most from supreme commander was how it was so intuitive to creating complex pathways for units and orders. You could pretty much order the first 20 or so steps for your initial construction in one go.

Aside from that, yeah it was pretty bland and forgetful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that was my problem with SC as well, it was too clean and sterile
    it needed to be more gritty, that's why I never played the other faction in the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

SC was a brilliant game.

You take that back right now Zillah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I loved SC and SC:FA. I was not a big fan of SC2. It felt more like a step back. I was very happy to spend 2/3 hours building up my base / force and annihilate the enemy. SC2 kinda took that away...

I've been looking for a new RTS recently (loaded up CnC generals: ZH and loved it) and just spotted all that talk regarding Planetary Annihilation. Looks awesome (I never played TA).

I would nearly consider buying it now for 90 bucks and getting instant access to alpha / beta. looks like its going to be huge...

I've learned the hard way that betas/early access are a horrible idea. Your best experience of a game is likely to be your first play-through (multiplayer aside), by getting into early you're volunteering to make your first playthrough a messy disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Zillah wrote: »
    I've learned the hard way that betas/early access are a horrible idea. Your best experience of a game is likely to be your first play-through (multiplayer aside), by getting into early you're volunteering to make your first playthrough a messy disappointment.

Ya.... I was just watching some alpha footage there on the youface and it still looks rough, i might be best to wait!

Advertisement