Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore to Kilkenny

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Heading this route on Friday evening - anybody know the quickest way down or the best route? I could go on the M6 for a bit or go the old road to Loughrea > Portumna > Birr etc....any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

I live out the east of the county and the way you suggested is the way I normally do this journey, I head for Portumna, then Birr, Roscrea, Borris in Ossory, Durrow, Kilkenny. The only part of the journey I don't like is the Portumna to Birr road but the rest of the journey is OK. The whole journey takes my about 2hrs 15mins or so, I would be roughly 20 minutes from Portumna.

If you put this journey in to the AA Routeplanner it suggests sending you up the M6 and taking the exit for Tullamore, then heading for Portlaoise and on to Kilkenny but this seems like a very long way round just for the benefit of the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I live out the east of the county and the way you suggested is the way I normally do this journey, I head for Portumna, then Birr, Roscrea, Borris in Ossory, Durrow, Kilkenny. The only part of the journey I don't like is the Portumna to Birr road but the rest of the journey is OK. The whole journey takes my about 2hrs 15mins or so, I would be roughly 20 minutes from Portumna.

If you put this journey in to the AA Routeplanner it suggests sending you up the M6 and taking the exit for Tullamore, then heading for Portlaoise and on to Kilkenny but this seems like a very long way round just for the benefit of the motorway.

Same as, Portumna is best route, enjoy concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Cheers for the advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

I do the route regularly and always go Portumna route, from Oranmore it takes around 2:30. You could do it in 2:15 if there were no tractors or farmers in the road. Takes around 2:30 if you go on the motorway and turn off for tullamore but it's nearly 40km longer. Heading that way myself later for the gig too. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

finlma wrote: »
    I do the route regularly and always go Portumna route, from Oranmore it takes around 2:30. You could do it in 2:15 if there were no tractors or farmers in the road. Takes around 2:30 if you go on the motorway and turn off for tullamore but it's nearly 40km longer. Heading that way myself later for the gig too. Enjoy

Thanks Finlma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wouldn't M6 to Kilbeggan, N52 to Tullamore, N80 to Portlaoise and then N77 to Kilkenny be quicker and more high quality roads?

Advertisement