Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my electric bill too high?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

As I am not from Ireland I have no idea what a 'normal bimonthly electric bill' should be.

I live in the city centre in a one bedroom apartment (1 bedroom, livingroom + kitchen, bathroom). I do not pay for gas. I did get a bill from Airtricity for the period of 21 of May until the 21 of July of €285, based on an actual meter reading (before and after). I have been away from 18 of June until now and unplugged all equipment except for my fridge/freezer.

I think the amount of €285 is pretty high then or?

Looking forward to hear any of your help and opinions on this.

Regards,

sirfugy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my usual bill for two of us in a three bed house is about €100-€120.
    if it's actual meter readings - the meter is faulty, or you do have something creating high drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The apartment probably has electric heating.

You need to make sure that the hot water timer is set correctly and that none of the storage heaters are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

are airtricity charging you the 200 deposit required when setting up a new account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sirfugy

they did charge a deposit but that's not included. my boiler is heating every morning at around 4 or 5, but that's also been switched off for the last month, I haven't lived in it but still the costs are so high. and obviously I haven't been using the heater for a long while already :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

you should give them a call, something fishy is going on, im in a 3 bed house, lots of gadgets ect going and this time of year 140 to 150 would be my bi monthly bill with esb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Turn everything off and watch the meter. If it is moving along then something is using power, then you just need to find that.

the bill looks high. are you sure it doesn't include a balance carried over, or that the calculation is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

sirfugy wrote: »
    Hi all,

As I am not from Ireland I have no idea what a 'normal bimonthly electric bill' should be.

I live in the city centre in a one bedroom apartment (1 bedroom, livingroom + kitchen, bathroom). I do not pay for gas. I did get a bill from Airtricity for the period of 21 of May until the 21 of July of €285, based on an actual meter reading (before and after). I have been away from 18 of June until now and unplugged all equipment except for my fridge/freezer.

I think the amount of €285 is pretty high then or?

Looking forward to hear any of your help and opinions on this.

Regards,

sirfugy

Thats way too high, i live in similar size place to yourself and my bill for same period was €95

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Seems very high. Probably not a defect on the meter. Some other reason. Get on to Airtricity and keep a weekly note of your meter readings so that you can monitor your recorded electricity usage

Advertisement