Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional work

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering what is the story with doing regional work without a car. Im heading to Sydney in September with a friend and I was planning to start the regional work first when I get there. Ive had a quick look on a website and they say you need your own transport for the jobs advertised, which makes sense since they are rural farms. So how do people without cars get by? I really dont want to buy a car over there. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donafirth

I am also looking to do regional work in September. Any advise on where best to do the regional work would be helpful. Thanx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

My advice is to register with www.agworkforce.com.au. (not sure if I can link to this without breaking rules?)

They are based in Toowoomba, QLD, about 90mins west of Brisbane. They seem to have a lot of jobs around harvest time, but for all year round work they have feedlot work, which is initally smelly, dirty and hard, it gets your 3 months regional work done and out of the way while saving a lot of cash.

The company I was working for even supplied us with an old car to travel between accommodation and work. They also paid for board and meals. Only downside is your working constantly, 6am to 5pm, 7 days a week.

Also, by working in rural areas, you may be able to find sponsorship easier than in a city, depending on what kind of work you want to do, and how long you'd want to stay rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Other way around it is to go to a working hostel as they will generally provide transport to and from farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ecoeco

Hello, arrived in Melbourne a week ago with the missus and her friend, looking into getting the farm work done soon as we can but finding it hard to get a start.
    From anyones experiences, is it worth going with the pay by bin crowds as I have read a few scammer stories while researching the working hostels in Mildura etc. and there doesn't seem to be many farm jobs as it is on the gumtree / seek / harvest trail sites :(

Can anyone help with any old contacts or reliable farm employers, we will travel anywhere to do the work tbf, I'm thinking of buying a beat up old car just to enhance our availability to relocate to a rural area quickly

Advertisement