Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike for Triathlon

Options
  • 23-07-2013 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but had a search and didn't get an answer. Looking for advice for getting a road bike that would also be good as a tri bike, I know some bikes lend themselves more to having a pair of clip ons added. Example Cervelo S2 seems to be the gold standard but also out of price range, looking to buy new and pay between 1,800 and 2,500, anybody have any thoughts on other bikes that have a suitable geometry? Also if it is for a female assume this won't make much difference, as I know plenty of ladies who ride male model bikes?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Up to now I have ridden a mans road bike for tri, you do need to be careful about the sizing and geometry, there is a difference in men and women's shapes.

Advising on a particular bike is difficult, we all have our own preferences. Go to a good shop with a decent stock, try a few, and get advice. For that money you should get a carbon frame with a good groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Oryx wrote: »
    Up to now I have ridden a mans road bike for tri, you do need to be careful about the sizing and geometry, there is a difference in men and women's shapes.

Advising on a particular bike is difficult, we all have our own preferences. Go to a good shop with a decent stock, try a few, and get advice. For that money you should get a carbon frame with a good groupset.

Thanks for the advice and will be advising they sit on as many bikes as possible (bike is not for myself) just wondering were there a number of bikes normally recommended, given it is dual purpose of the bike, is the S2 the only bike design for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'd imagine the Felt AR4 is in the same bracket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

Bear in mind that if you want to use the same bike as a road bike and a tri bike you need a frame which takes seat posts like Thomson( the one which gives you 78 degree seat tube angle).

Advertisement