Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally exhausted

• 23-07-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

I'd love some advice. I've been signed off work for a week by my GP due to being tired all the time and back pain. I'm seriously considering asking for another week of certified sick leave as I'm not feeling any better and have an active child to get up and out in the mornings, so by the time I get to work I'm ready for a nap.

I feel quite guilty about asking though, I'm not one for taking sick leave usually and work is particularly busy so my colleagues are taking a hit with me being out. But I also don't know how I'll face work next week, as i can just about get myself breakfast and a shower before lying on the couch for a lot of the morning and afternoon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »
    I'd love some advice. I've been signed off work for a week by my GP due to being tired all the time and back pain. I'm seriously considering asking for another week of certified sick leave as I'm not feeling any better and have an active child to get up and out in the mornings, so by the time I get to work I'm ready for a nap.

I feel quite guilty about asking though, I'm not one for taking sick leave usually and work is particularly busy so my colleagues are taking a hit with me being out. But I also don't know how I'll face work next week, as i can just about get myself breakfast and a shower before lying on the couch for a lot of the morning and afternoon.

Lazygal just take the extra week and don't feel bad about it! If you rarely take sick leave anyway your employers and colleagues will know you are not the type to go sick when you are not sick. Feeling guilty just goes to show you are probably quite conscientious. But my advice is to take it... Maybe you will work a lot better after a proper rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I don't know where you are in your pregnancy, but it might be worth asking if you can do a shortened day. Maybe getting in an hour later would make it easier. I'm assuming your little one is in childcare, and I know how difficult it is to get a toddler ready to leave the house in the morning. So if you had time out between getting your little one to childcare and starting work in the morning you might be better able to face the days work. It would hopefully mean you'd be more productive at work which your boss should be happy about in the long term.

But in the short term, if you need the second week, take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Would working from home be an option at all?

I'm exhausted all the time too. Straight into bed most evenings when I get home from work ... thankfully my job isn't too stressful or tiring, and I'm sitting at a desk all day.

I really don't know how anyone does this pregnancy thing while having small children to look after as well ... I can barely even look after myself these days. :o Serious respect to anyone doing it!

How many weeks until you start maternity leave?
    Could you power through at work and start maternity leave a week or two earlier? You're only going to get more tired as the pregnancy progresses and will probably appreciate the time off closer to your due date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

lazygal wrote: »

Serious advice, get your iron levels checked. I was at the point of sheer exhaustion, I conked every evening after work, just couldn't focus on anything. I had a blood test taken and my iron levels were very low. My GP told me to take Galfer and it gave me such a boost. Pregnancy combined with working is very hard but it shouldn't be wearing you out completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Serious advice, get your iron levels checked. I was at the point of sheer exhaustion, I conked every evening after work, just couldn't focus on anything. I had a blood test taken and my iron levels were very low. My GP told me to take Galfer and it gave me such a boost. Pregnancy combined with working is very hard but it shouldn't be wearing you out completely.

+1 - I've been on galfer now for a few weeks and I'm feeling a lot more energetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thanks. I'm actually on iron , have been the whole pregnancy. Unfortunately work isn't able to offer a shorter day or home working, so its sick leave or nothing. I'm going to see how I feel and go back to GP for his advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

lazygal, don't feel guilty about taking leave if you really need it. If you are normally a good worker no one will feel anything but compassion for you, rather than blame you.

Although I do find it funny that your username is 'lazygal'! that gave me a chuckle I have to admit! lol ;)

Advertisement