Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 10inch tablet or ipad ??

Options
  • 23-07-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm being offered a Android tablet for €85, 10 inch, comes with case and stand from a collegue.

It's for my 7 year old son.

Even though the tablet is a good offer, I'm told ipad is much better, more expensive but worth it. Also told if I buy the tablet now, I'll probably still end up buying an ipad eventually...

Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

For an 7 yr old, go for the android. He will only wreak it anyways and an ipad + cover will set you back nearly 6 times the amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Really, it's a no brainer. Not only is the Android way cheaper, but it will most likely have better more generic and useful external connections (usb, memory card storage expansion etc,) instead of proprietary Apple connectors and no facility for increasing storage. And for a seven year old? You will be much happier if he manages to break the Android than if he breaks the i-Pad.
    The i-Pad doesn't offer much greater actual functionality (if any) than the Android, and it's apps can be pricey. If his friends all get i-pads, then peer pressure could be a problem of course.
    It's your wallet, how much thinner do you want it to get?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

rainbows7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm being offered a Android tablet for €85, 10 inch, comes with case and stand from a collegue.

It's for my 7 year old son.

Even though the tablet is a good offer, I'm told ipad is much better, more expensive but worth it. Also told if I buy the tablet now, I'll probably still end up buying an ipad eventually...

Any advice please?

More than likely the iPad would be better than a €85 Android tablet, because at €85 I can't imagine it being a high spec device. Do you have any info about the Android tablet? Such as brand or model no. Will move this over to the tablets forum for you.
    I'm told ipad is much better
    That would be a persons opinion ;) . All tablets be it Windows, iOs, Android etc. have their advantages/disadvantages. It really depends on what you want to use the tablet for, will restrictions be an issue, particular apps availability, USB connectivity, Adobe Flash playback etc.. If you provide more details on how the device will be used we can advise further :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rainbows7

Tablet will be mainly for son's use, i.e. games, videos, however, once he's in bed, I'd happily use it for my own purpose as opposed to heavy laptop, I'd use it for social networks, emails etc...

I can't comment further on the Android Tablet as I don't know much about it. This doesn't help I know..

Thanks for continuing feedback

Advertisement