Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving/Slabs safe to drive on?

• 23-07-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

3 years after building our home we are finally getting the outside fixed up.
    My husband wants to put concrete around the back of the house and garage, (tarmac out front) which is fine by me, except i want one corner a bit different, as we have double doors opening out from our dining room to the back.
    Would love some nice coloured paving stones/slabs but we will need to be able to drive over these (my hubby insists - even though i know we will never drive around there - but he wants the option to)
    So I will need something that won't crack if driven on over a period of time.

Was thinking of printed concrete, but heard this can be expensive.

Thanks in advance,

Silly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

silly wrote: »
    My husband wants to put concrete around the back of the house and garage, (tarmac out front) which is fine by me, except i want one corner a bit different, as we have double doors opening out from our dining room to the back.
    Would love some nice coloured paving stones/slabs but we will need to be able to drive over these (my hubby insists - even though i know we will never drive around there - but he wants the option to)

Thanks in advance,

Silly

Late response, just saw this now, and am doing similar work...concrete paving can be nice, and if set in concrete on a decent foundation (hardcore stone) and wet pointed (i.e. cement, as opposed to dry pointed sand) then it should be fine to drive on. I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable driving a truck (like a home heating oil truck) on it though. The cost isn't a whole lot different to concrete, and it looks much more homely, and nicer to put a patio table on or something like that. €20-€22 per sq mt should get you coloured concrete paving, and maybe a euro or two more for sandstone or limestone (I'm getting quotes right now and only have one for €25). Not sure about the latter two for driving on though.

Dunno about printed concrete, I've seen that too, but we're not considering it. Plain concrete is cheapest...I can't imagine it would be all that much more expensive to print on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Thanks in advance,

Silly
    Silly if I were you I would have my coloured paving slabs, and hubby would NOT be driving over them.Put your foot down girl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks in advance,

Silly

Concrete will look plain and bland IMO.
    Also in 5-6 years or so,it will dull/fade and look very shabby.

Pavers and paving flags can be driven on.....(50-60mm thick slabs)...but thats what an actual driveway is for....as in parking cars/jeeps/trucks on.

As Kynzvart has said above........put your foot down and tell the hubby that you are getting something different put down in that area.

Make an Executive Decision and stick to it......then tell the hubby that "it doesnt matter what he thinks" and he should "know his damn role and shut his damn mouth"...........because you said so.;):pac::D

Advertisement