Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac CAO offers 2013..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Edel666

Oh right :) Hopefully i'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭katieg19

I didnt get an offer on thursday even though I got full distinctions..Is it worth ringing them to check them out? Hearing a lot of problems others have had due to mistakes made by CAO. Such a flawed and silly system...

katieg19 wrote: »
    I didnt get an offer on thursday even though I got full distinctions..Is it worth ringing them to check them out? Hearing a lot of problems others have had due to mistakes made by CAO. Such a flawed and silly system...
    I didn't either and i have enough distinctions but maybe we're included in round one i think it depends on the colleges and course? What college did you apply to?

I applied to a good few but was really hoping for a place in UCD.. :/ emailed them just now asking about it. was absolutely gutted about it. hope theres some problem in that they didnt get my results and that i can be offered a place...highly doubt it though..

Did you say you did FETAC course before hand? Did you not ask them about round one?

• Advertisement

Edel666 wrote: »
    Did you say you did FETAC course before hand? Did you not ask them about round one?

I did a fetac course this year, just emailed them a while ago. Didn't really ask them about round one..just asked about my offers in general..

Oh right you might get somewhere yet. have you applied anywhere else?

Oh right you might get somewhere yet. have you applied anywhere else?

Yeah, applied for vet nursing in UCD, Dundalk and athlone and letterkenny..I seriously hope I do. Dunno what I'm gonna do otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Sinny2

I did a fetac course this year, just emailed them a while ago. Didn't really ask them about round one..just asked about my offers in general..

Let me know how you get on with them :)

Sinny2 wrote: »
    Let me know how you get on with them :)

I sure will :) hopefully it will have a good outcome!

• Advertisement

I sure will :) hopefully it will have a good outcome!

Fingers crossed!! :)

Yeah, applied for vet nursing in UCD, Dundalk and athlone and letterkenny..I seriously hope I do. Dunno what I'm gonna do otherwise!
    I'm sure you'll be fine and you'll get something sure i'm as nervous as well hopefully we'll be successful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

Hey there, just spotted this thread yesterday :pac: I'm applying for Web Development in Sligo through FETAC. Got into Limerick a few years ago through FETAC as well but the course wasn't really for me in the end :o

Really starting to feel nervous about going back to education now, but I also can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aecommedes

Can this system get any worse. I received full 8 distinctions and no offers.
    Only to find out no results were sent and nothing can be done.
    Was also told I might get offers in round 1.

Edit: I would suggest give them a ring on Mon and check if your results are there, since its not up to CAO to get the results they won't contact you about it.

aecommedes wrote: »
    Can this system get any worse. I received full 8 distinctions and no offers.
    Only to find out no results were sent and nothing can be done.
    Was also told I might get offers in round 1.

Edit: I would suggest give them a ring on Mon and check if your results are there, since its not up to CAO to get the results they won't contact you about it.

Do they not automatically get our results by our pps number? Ok im ringing them on monday as well, loadsa people got full distinctions for all different courses where i done mine and not one person has got an offer through fetac :/ its a joke

Do they not automatically get our results by our pps number? Ok im ringing them on monday as well, loadsa people got full distinctions for all different courses where i done mine and not one person has got an offer through fetac :/ its a joke

They do but from Fetac, Something happened there and no results were on file.
    Can I ask what course you applied for? I was going for science in UCD. 3 people in my class got full 8 distinctions and no offer, all in same situation.

They do but from Fetac, Something happened there and no results were on file.
    Can I ask what course you applied for? I was going for science in UCD. 3 people in my class got full 8 distinctions and no offer, all in same situation.

i applied for nursing all over the country and no offers and same for everyone that done the course with me. I no it is extremely difficult to get into but surely someone should have.

i applied for nursing all over the country and no offers and same for everyone that done the course with me. I no it is extremely difficult to get into but surely someone should have.

Right no harm in checking it out I guess.

Right no harm in checking it out I guess.

the whole thing is a joke. Thats terrible what has happened on you and theres another 1 or 2 that has had that happen on them as well

the whole thing is a joke. Thats terrible what has happened on you and theres another 1 or 2 that has had that happen on them as well

Its ridiculous to think we are the ones paying for someone elses mistakes.

Hope everyone gets what they want in round 1.

• Advertisement

jeddie20 wrote: »
    Hey there, just spotted this thread yesterday :pac: I'm applying for Web Development in Sligo through FETAC. Got into Limerick a few years ago through FETAC as well but the course wasn't really for me in the end :o

Really starting to feel nervous about going back to education now, but I also can't wait :D
    Awh nice i'm sure you'll get on great i'm nervous too waiting for an offer is it IT Sligo you applied to?

Gee that's awful what about the other colleges you applied to and what did you apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

Awh nice i'm sure you'll get on great i'm nervous too waiting for an offer is it IT Sligo you applied to?

Yeah it's the IT I've applied to, what course are you going for? Thinking of tipping up for a look at the accommodation next week just to get out of the house and get my mind off it :pac: haha

When I applied a 3 years ago most of the FETAC offers came out with the LC ones (including myself), so try not to panic much for anyone who hasn't got an offer yet :)

Gee that's awful what about the other colleges you applied to and what did you apply for?

I have applied for nursing or psychiatric nursing in waterford, UCD, DCU, trinity, athlone i't and lit practically anywhere in the country that offers it :p

jeddie20 wrote: »
    Yeah it's the IT I've applied to, what course are you going for? Thinking of tipping up for a look at the accommodation next week just to get out of the house and get my mind off it :pac: haha

When I applied a 3 years ago most of the FETAC offers came out with the LC ones (including myself), so try not to panic much for anyone who hasn't got an offer yet :)
    I didn't receive my offer yet either but I think it'll be around the time of the round one offers did you apply as a mature student? I've applied for Early Childhood Education so hopefully i'll get it. Still nervous though as i'm waiting for the offer.

Oh right well you should get something have the other colleges received your results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

That is what I thought as well. :(:confused:

Tbh, I just don't understand the need for CAO. Why couldn't we just apply directly to the colleges and universities we want instead? My mother said how students used to do that years ago before the CAO was invented. I just think that it would be less hassle and stress if you could just apply to the places directly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

That is what I thought as well. :(:confused:

Tbh, I just don't understand the need for CAO. Why couldn't we just apply directly to the colleges and universities we want instead? My mother said how students used to do that years ago before the CAO was invented. I just think that it would be less hassle and stress if you could just apply to the places directly.

Yes, everyone should apply to the college direct. For FETAC, If there's loads of people who got the entry requirement for courses, eg what we seen here with loads of nurses getting full distinctions, then there should be interviews to see who's best suited to the course.
    Leaving cert students apply to the college direct and get in on points like they do currently.
    This should result in far less mistakes happening and more of a chance that those who really want and who are more likely to do the work get spots in college.
    There probably should be more spots available for FETAC and mature students as well but that one is harder to gain agreement on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

So if anyone can shed some light on the cao points? I thought distinction=50 merit=35 and pass=20. Someone a while back said the fetac points are not the same as leaving cert points this year, so now I am a small bit confused.

I applied for a level 7 I.T. in W.I.T., last year the points for that course was 220 and I got 385 points from fetac.

If anyone knows if the points differ this year than other years please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Outline of the new FETAC scoring scheme in use by all HEIs from 2013
    This scoring scheme only applies where all the requirements for the major award are met,
    i.e. when the named component awards specified have been achieved to a minimum of 120
    credits.
    Each component is given a score based on the credit value of the component and the
    weighting of the grade achieved.
    Most component awards have a credit value of 15 (the possible component credit values are
    5, 10, 15, 20 and 30).
    The following weightings will apply to the grades achieved: pass=1, merit=2, distinction=3.
    To calculate a component score, multiply the credit value of the component by the weighting
    for the grade achieved.
    Add all of the component scores up to a cumulative credit value of 120. When adding up
    these scores begin with distinctions, then merits, then passes.
    Finally, multiply the total by 10 and divide by 9 to give the overall score (maximum 400). *
    * (Note: this means that effectively, the weighting of a component will be approximately:
    Pass = 1.111; Merit = 2.222; Distinction = 3.333)

Advertisement