Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac CAO offers 2013..

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Now, I don't know about ye but I can't work that out but here's some examples that may make it easier:

2qjd749.jpg

m7rv36.jpg

Hope that helps but like everything it seems very complicated. Could they not have come up with an easier way. Who are these people in the CAO???

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Edel666

Thanks I have the required amount of Distinctions for my course anyways :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

My understanding is that for colleges in the Higher Education Links Scheme (Round Zero) they simply rank you based on the number of distinctions you have. I.E 8 distinctions are better than 7.

For Pilot Scheme colleges (Round One) they turn your grade into LC points and compete against LC students. 50 for Distinction, 35 for Merit and 20 for a Pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Thats weird then, because I got 9 distinctions. and I know people in my class who only got 5 distinctions and got offered places, where as I didnt get any offer.

I agree that is weird did you apply for nursing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Edel666 wrote: »
    I agree that is weird did you apply for nursing?

yep.

Oh right i applied for a different course :) Hopefully you'll get sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Thats weird then, because I got 9 distinctions. and I know people in my class who only got 5 distinctions and got offered places, where as I didnt get any offer.

Did they apply for the same courses as you? If so you should ring CAO to make sure they received/sent you results..

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Sinny2

Got offered places for nursing?? Thats unbelievable :/ i got 9 as well so unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

I didn't receive my offer yet either but I think it'll be around the time of the round one offers did you apply as a mature student? I've applied for Early Childhood Education so hopefully i'll get it. Still nervous though as i'm waiting for the offer.

No I'm 22 so not a mature student yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

My understanding is that for colleges in the Higher Education Links Scheme (Round Zero) they simply rank you based on the number of distinctions you have. I.E 8 distinctions are better than 7.

For Pilot Scheme colleges (Round One) they turn your grade into LC points and compete against LC students. 50 for Distinction, 35 for Merit and 20 for a Pass.

This is the old system (Note - the HELS also calculated points not just via ranking). But alot of things have changed with the new FETAC Common Awards System and the introduction of credits. As a result of these changes do not assume that what happened last year is the same procedure this year. This document explains the new FETAC progression scheme and how the points are calculated - http://fetac.ie/fetac/documents/Prog...s_for_2013.pdf

Remember in many cases there are very few places available to FETAC applicants across all courses where you are competing against other FETAC applicants. There are over 30,000 students in the FE/PLC sector so you are not just competing against students in your own centre and in the case of high demand courses e.g. Nursing, there are very places reserved for FETAC applicants.

The requirements listed by the colleges are just that - requirements. It does not mean that by meeting these you will get a place on the course. In many cases you will need to get higher results than these requirements. Using the FETAC system to get a place on a course is just like using your Leaving Cert points, demand from students for places on a course vs the amount of places available will determine the points for the course and whether random selection comes into play.

If you wish to know whether you are competing against other FETAC applicants only or against Leaving Cert students then look at the code on the extreme right hand side of the list of courses on the page Information for FETAC applicants on the CAO page. They are as follows;

UPD - The score is used to rank applicants among school leavers as well as those presenting FETAC.
    MAN - The score is used to rank FETAC applicants for consideration for entry to a FETAC quota course.
    ONE - The best score in a single FETAC assessment session are used for ranking purposes.
    MLT - The best score in any combination of FETAC assessment sessions are used for ranking purposes.
    ART - The FETAC assessment will be combined with an assessment carried out by the HEI offering the course (e.g. an art portfolio assessment or an audition).

Your FETAC centre or College will have entered your results on the FETAC/QQI system and this file is transferred to the CAO in time for the offers. If there are changes to your results as a result of appeals you should check with the CAO that they have received the right results from the FETAC/QQI system.

If you have any questions check with Career Guidance Counsellor or FETAC centre or local Adult Education Guidance Officer (VECs). The CAO is the system, they make the offers on the behalf of the colleges so the best organisation to contact is the college you are hoping to get into - Admissions Office.

Best of luck

Oh right and have you received an offer did you say? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

''f you wish to know whether you are competing against other FETAC applicants only or against Leaving Cert students then look at the code on the extreme right hand side of the list of courses on the page Information for FETAC applicants on the CAO page.''

Doe anyone know where I find this clicked on 'FETAC Information' and can't find a list of courses :/

Lamina wrote: »
    ''f you wish to know whether you are competing against other FETAC applicants only or against Leaving Cert students then look at the code on the extreme right hand side of the list of courses on the page Information for FETAC applicants on the CAO page.''

Doe anyone know where I find this clicked on 'FETAC Information' and can't find a list of courses :/

On the cao website once you click on fetac information click the one that says entry requirments and then select which college you've applied to and den you'll see the code beside whichever course yuu chose :)

If it says UPD beside it the offers will be in round 1 and if it says MAN beside it any offers would of been most likely in round zero

Sinny2 wrote: »
    On the cao website once you click on fetac information click the one that says entry requirments and then select which college you've applied to and den you'll see the code beside whichever course yuu chose :)
    I've done that but all i see is entry requirements?

I've done that but all i see is entry requirements?

Did you get to a page that says course title, essential fetac modules? To the right of fetac modules it has a section that says notes and the codes are there?

Don't think so but could you link me to the page?

Don't think so but could you link me to the page?

http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/fetac_search.php

On this page it says select by institution so just pick which college you've applied to and search. Once you've done that it will bring up the list for every course in that college for fetac :)

• Advertisement

Hope it helped :)

Whats that link about again is it to tell you how many Distinctions you need to get for the specific course?

Whats that link about again is it to tell you how many Distinctions you need to get for the specific course?

It tells you whether you should of got an offer in round zero or 1 .. And minimum entry requirements but thats only the minimum requirements . It really depends on how everyone else in fetac done.

Just checked back on that it doesnt actually really give the minimum entry requirements its just really the modules you have to have done to be able be accepted onto the course

Sinny2 wrote: »
    It tells you whether you should of got an offer in round zero or 1 .. And minimum entry requirements but thats only the minimum requirements . It really depends on how everyone else in fetac done.
    I don't see that (informing me of if i should've got an offer in round one) I applied to the IT but someone said on this that the IT wasn't included in round zero?

I don't see that (informing me of if i should've got an offer in round one) I applied to the IT but someone said on this that the IT wasn't included in round zero?

On the very right under the section of notes it gives the code sayin whether or not you are competing against leaving cert students. For sligo i.t its round 1 going by that :)

Just checked back on that it doesnt actually really give the minimum entry requirements its just really the modules you have to have done to be able be accepted onto the course

Ok thanks hopefully i'll get an offer in Round 1 ahhh thank you

Nope, you? Roll on the nineteenth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ew121

Does anyone have any idea wen the college send you out the registration details after you accept the offer?

• Advertisement

Its fairly close to the registration date, fairly late, different for everyone really..

Advertisement