Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored alarm comparison site?

Options
  • 23-07-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but is there a site that compares the offers/prices of several monitored alarm systems?

e.g. Phonewatch vs some other monitored alarm provider.

Are all monitored systems alike, or some companies better at monitoring than others?

I'm based in Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I've never seen a site with that information.
    All monitored systems are alike to an extent. Some systems can send more information than others.

All monitoring stations do pretty much the same. Service from some may be better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You will possibly find Phonewatch the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

KoolKid wrote: »
    Service from some may be better than others.

Would it be in breach of the forum rules to ask which are better than others, or anywhere I could find this info?

Phonewatch are pretty expensive so just looking for cheaper alternatives with comparable monitoring response etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your shopping around for monitoring this is going to be done through an alarm company rather than directly with any monitoring station.
    Any licensed installer can set up monitoring for you, the best advice here is to shop around and make sure you compare like with like.
    Most company's offer monitoring & maintenance as a single package , this is where you need to check what your getting.Some company's will offer cheaper packages but only include one or 2 call outs, some offer just your annual service call or calls. In other words , you pay an annual fee but if the system is not repaired right or further calls are required you may find your self paying more than you expected. Good value here is a maintenance contract covering all calls & labour. After all it is annual maintenance your paying for.In many cases you will get this level of cover for the same , or less than some of the other limited packages,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 drunkenbarney

you would be amazed at the number of people who associate alarm monitoring exclusively with phonewatch(due to a massive advertising budget) and don't realize there are many choices out there if you consult your local licensed installer. I'm not knocking Phonewatch by any means, phonewatch have a monitoring and maintenance package of 25.25 per month with monitoring, 24 hour support and two routine service calls, sounds like great value I have to admit. However....... what they don't tell you is the onus is on the customer to call them to book the routine service visit as they don't call you to remind you, if you don't call them the call is not done. Shop around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What's the price for a phonewatch install (basic package)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 drunkenbarney

mrcheez wrote: »
    What's the price for a phonewatch install (basic package)?

I think they are doing a basic install pack for 599, sounds good? No, they dont fit a ringing/flashing outside box as standard(roughly 200 extra), the panels they use are very basic compared to whats on offer elsewhere, and if you shop around you will get monitoring cheaper

Advertisement