Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasps

• 23-07-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I finally realized that the buzzing was not in my head when I noticed wasps going in and out of my gutter today. There must be a nest up there somewhere. They are not really bothering me. Should I leave it alone, or is there a chance they may take over the house. Scream.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

You'll need to get it sorted out. It'll only get bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

really? its a rented house. i think its a job for an expert.

If it's rented then just notify the landlord and for around €100 Rentokill should be able to deal with it. If she/he's reluctant/slow to deal with it, you could mention that you've never been stung before and that you don't know if you might react badly. That should focus their mind.

Ha ha. Thanks for the tip. I will get rentokill on the job today :)

Let the landlord know first. I don't know what your landlord is like but some of them would try to duck out off paying if they're not told first.

• Advertisement

Good point Josip. Thanks. You think like a strategist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Recently got a local pest controller to do it for €60.00. Wasps can be nasty and there could be thousands in the nest - get rid asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I've a problem where they are taking the paint off the shed door . It usually happens earlier in the year . But they've only showed up recently . Is there anything I can spray the door with ?
    I've killed about 20 so far . Always 2-3 at a time . They seem to care for the dead as they remove the squashed dead ones from the door .

Evolution1 wrote: »
    They seem to care for the dead as they remove the squashed dead ones from the door .

They eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Anything I can spray on the door to kill them ?

• Advertisement

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Anything I can spray on the door to kill them ?

1 part eucalyptus oil, 1 part menthol, 1 part citronnella painted on.
    or creocote
    or anything that tastes yuck. (eg jagermeister)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

I have an underground wasp nest in my flower bed. Not really bothering us other than buzzing around the place. Don't know what to do because I don't want my plants and trees to die by putting stuff in the clay. Also have been trying to swot them and have got about 20 or so as well as getting a sting for my trouble but I do acknowledge that there could be thousands of them there as well. Anyone got any suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

One needs to be very careful when approaching hives (bees and/or wasps). If you provoke either you can expect a serious response. DIY removal (< € 20.00) is relatively easy and straightforward and best done in the evening when there is less activity.

There are special foaming sprays available (good hardware/supermarkets) for tackling hives. If you are anxious get someone to assist you and armed with a back up wasp spray killer.

Foam sprays work relatively quickly and hive can be removed after a few hours. Underground hives can be removed by digging or burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RampantRichie

This critter was out the back the other day..... could hear him munching on timber from approx six feet away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This critter was out the back the other day..... could hear him munching on timber from approx six feet away...

That's a great photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RampantRichie

looksee wrote: »
    That's a great photo!

Cheers... Taken with my galaxy s3 in macro mode....
    https://twitter.com/RampantRichie
    have a few more on twitter if ur interested.

Advertisement