Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping - Sleep Mat - Advice Please

Options
  • 23-07-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I am torn between two different sleep mats and I would really appreciate people's opinions.

They're both Vango:
    https://www.vango.co.uk/sleep-mats/adventure-standard-/-3cm.html
    Spec:
    • Dimensions: 183 x 51 x 3cm
    • Pack Size: 59 x 16cm
    • Weight: 1.19 kilos
    • Laminated, open-cell foam insulation
    • 75 denier non-slip polyester/pvc top and base
    • Repair kit and stuffsac included

Or

http://www.vango.co.uk/sleep-mats/adventure-dlx-xl-/-5cm.html
    Spec:
    • Dimensions: 198 x 63 x 5cm
    • Pack Size: 73 x 20.5cm
    • Weight: 2.06 kilos
    • Laminated, open-cell foam insulation
    • 75 denier non-slip polyester/pvc top and base
    • Built in pillow (it looks pretty useless, though, to be fair)
    • Repair kit and stuffsac included

I'm trying to consider all things here. The extra packed size and weight of the 5cm one compared to the 3cm one is a factor. However, I'm happy to carry the extra size and weight if the the added comfort is notable.

If anyone has used both, or either, and can comment on the comfort levels I'd really appreciate it. Or even just speculation from people who know their stuff would also be greatly appreciated. All opinions are welcome!

I should mention that both mats willl fit in my tent and I can get either of them for the same price at the moment. They will be used for frequent camping trips and festivals and I drive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

If you're driving close to your sites, then get the thicker one... the only reason to get the thinner one is its saving in weight/pack size. Every kilo makes a difference if you have to yomp it across the mountains! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Not directly helpful but I'll be trying out an inflatable mat put under the tent. The basic mat is useless unless happy on hard ground

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Op, go mad and get yourself one of these...

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-NeoAir-Trekker.html

Not recommended for festivals, well Irish ones anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Treadhead wrote: »
    If you're driving close to your sites, then get the thicker one... the only reason to get the thinner one is its saving in weight/pack size. Every kilo makes a difference if you have to yomp it across the mountains! ;)

Brilliant, thank you! :)
    silverharp wrote: »
    Not directly helpful but I'll be trying out an inflatable mat put under the tent. The basic mat is useless unless happy on hard ground

I'm not sure what you mean, to be honest - sorry! :(
    Op, go mad and get yourself one of these...

Hmmm, now that's just a tad over my budget! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Picked up my 5cm mat today. It's not as bulky or heavy as I thought - good call Treadhead. Looks pretty comfy and all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Too late obviously, but I've heard good things about the https://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-mats range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

There's a place in Midleton that sells Thermarests for €10, I kid you not!

I used to have an Alpkit inflatable mat, very comfortable but very bulky and quite heavy.

I have 3 inflatables now - a Thermarest 3/4 length, a Multi Mat adventure and a Pacific thingy-bob (forgotten the name). All three are superb but if you're looking for the lightest, it has to be the Multi Mat - comfortable, very light and packs down extremely small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WILD.

I have both the vango standard and Long I would go for the standard there is not much size difference. They are comfortable matts but it also depends how tall you are and if you don't mind you feet sticking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

Anyone used Alpkit's Numo matt? :D

Advertisement