Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roku vs WDTV?

• 23-07-2013 12:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently have an old WDTV, I love it, great little until, I use it for streaming movies that I have downloaded on my oc, over the network. I want an updated box though to do Netflix etc

I heard the Roku3 is good, can it do what I want and is it recommended or would I be better off going for the newer WDTV?

Would anyone who knows lots about these throw in their 2c as to what is better for what?
    Thanks!

Comments

Roku does not support local content to the same extent as WDTV.

You can't connect to a SMB or NFS share and directly access your files that way. It also doesnt support a wide range of codecs.

So the way that people do it is with a Plex client on the Roku and Plex server on your PC. If your files have incompatible video or audio codecs it will transcode them on the fly.

This may or may not be acceptable to you, personally i don't like it for quality reasons and also I just don't like having my media server sitting there wasting resources for no reason. I would prefer to have a media player that can natively play those codecs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks - I did not know that - its a big thing for me. Could not be arsed tweaking it with plex etc. Maybe I'll just go for the new WDTV. I want the one that does streaming over the network. Is it only the most expensive one with the built in hard drive? Kind overkill for me but pointless unless I can stream from my pc...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

So will the live do or do I need the live hub?

The Live is just a newer variant of the Live Plus without internal storage and very slightly faster hardware. Some other minor differences but they play the same files and access the same online content.

I would check out the forums before buying a WDTV because i've heard a lot of people complain about firmware bugs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah in fairness I have a fair few bug myself with my one, put a different image on it and it was grand. But no netflix on mine that is what I wanted to gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Hi, is it possible to load BBC iPlayer app onto WDTV? I bought it second hand from UK and it had it for a few weeks, but I did a software update and lost it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks - I did not know that - its a big thing for me. Could not be arsed tweaking it with plex etc. Maybe I'll just go for the new WDTV. I want the one that does streaming over the network. Is it only the most expensive one with the built in hard drive? Kind overkill for me but pointless unless I can stream from my pc...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

So will the live do or do I need the live hub?

I would say if local media is a major thing then the Roku is not for you. I have a Roku3 and I love it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056934490

But I would have to agree that support for local media via the USB port is not great. It's not a major issue for me as I stream most of my stuff. I can use Plex for everything else and that works quite well. Pricewise the Roku3 will set you back about 130 euros from Amazon, that includes shipping and import duties.

Advertisement