Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the line moved from under a babies cot, to somewhere more reasonable.

Options
  • 23-07-2013 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've just spend a delightful hour on the phone to eircom support trying to get something resolved. We have moved into a house, and for some reason the main phone line socket has been installed in a childs bedroom. The router arrived yesterday. To use it we have to plug it into the only eircom socket in the house, which is right beside where we have a toddler sleeping. Obviously we have to disconnect and pack up everything at 7pm when we are putting her to bed, as a pile of cables and a router is a strangulation hazard. It's effectively unusable where it is. We need to get it moved. Anywhere else in the house would do, I've no idea why it was put in such a ridiculous location to begin with.

So, I connected to customer service. I was transferred to technical support, who put me back to sales, who diverted me to faults, who put me in a general queue, where I got picked up again by sales.... who wanted to divert me to customer service again, and at that point (an hour later), after explaining the issue 5 times in a row, I really had to go, so I had to leave it there.

Is there anyone who can actually address this for me? I would like to book someone to come out and relocate that connection point. I need to arrange time off work to do let them in, so an actual time is required.... not 'someone will pop out in the next fornight' kind of thing.

I have two other issues which also need addressing

My new broadband which was sold to me as being 15MB is crawling along at 5MB. Technical support said I am on a package which limits me to 8MB. Customer service said I am not active yet at all, and sales said to register a 'change' (even though it was my original order request) I need to call back tomorrow as they don't see anything for me on the system at all.

The other issue is my address. The house is an old one, and over the years has had several addresses as parish boundarys changed etc. It's a nightmare trying to remember which of the 6 or 7 addresses is registered with each service provider, and listing each one out everytime is a waste of everyones time, so I'm trying to consolidate them all into one address so as to reduce everyones confusion. I've asked for eircom to change the address registered to this account a few times, but it's not happening.  What dept looks after this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

pwurple wrote: »
    Hi, I've just spend a delightful hour on the phone to eircom support trying to get something resolved. We have moved into a house, and for some reason the main phone line socket has been installed in a childs bedroom. The router arrived yesterday. To use it we have to plug it into the only eircom socket in the house, which is right beside where we have a toddler sleeping. Obviously we have to disconnect and pack up everything at 7pm when we are putting her to bed, as a pile of cables and a router is a strangulation hazard. It's effectively unusable where it is. We need to get it moved. Anywhere else in the house would do, I've no idea why it was put in such a ridiculous location to begin with.

So, I connected to customer service. I was transferred to technical support, who put me back to sales, who diverted me to faults, who put me in a general queue, where I got picked up again by sales.... who wanted to divert me to customer service again, and at that point (an hour later), after explaining the issue 5 times in a row, I really had to go, so I had to leave it there.

Is there anyone who can actually address this for me? I would like to book someone to come out and relocate that connection point. I need to arrange time off work to do let them in, so an actual time is required.... not 'someone will pop out in the next fornight' kind of thing.

For the location of your phone point, Eircom no longer provide that type of service any more. Your best bet (even better, and cheaper, if you know one) is to get a spark to run some electrical cable from the existing point to your preferred point in the house. It's a fairly easy job for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You see, that's what I wanted to do, and I even suggested it the first time I called, but eircom person told me that I can't do that with the main point, as they can't stand over the broadband connection then, and any fault I see on the line from that point on they would have nothing to do with.

I need the broadband for work, so I'm not willing to lose the SLA there.

This was a faulty install in my eyes, it should never have been put in there in the first place, so it needs to be repaired/replaced.

You see, that's what I wanted to do, and I even suggested it the first time I called, but eircom person told me that I can't do that with the main point, as they can't stand over the broadband connection then, and any fault I see on the line from that point on they would have nothing to do with.

I need the broadband for work, so I'm not willing to lose the SLA there.

This was a faulty install in my eyes, it should never have been put in there in the first place, so it needs to be repaired/replaced.
    Unfortunately, Eircom just will not do anything for you. I've tried myself. The house i'm in was built back in the 60's. The main phone point in the house is a very old black junction box, where the phones where wired directly to it. No port or anything. No circuit board that the new ones would have to help filter and clean up the noise on the line. Asked eircom would they be able to provide an up to date one, nope.`

So, leave the main point where it is, get a spark to run an extension off it to your preferred location and you should be golden. If an issue ever does arrise, just check the situation on the main point, not the extension, just to eliminate it.

Is the bedroom upstairs or down? If it's upstairs, then it is most probably not the main point.

Unfortunately, Eircom just will not do anything for you. I've tried myself. The house i'm in was built back in the 60's. The main phone point in the house is a very old black junction box, where the phones where wired directly to it. No port or anything. No circuit board that the new ones would have to help filter and clean up the noise on the line. Asked eircom would they be able to provide an up to date one, nope.`

So, leave the main point where it is, get a spark to run an extension off it to your preferred location and you should be golden. If an issue ever does arrise, just check the situation on the main point, not the extension, just to eliminate it.

Is the bedroom upstairs or down? If it's upstairs, then it is most probably not the main point.

Well if that's the case, then it should be pretty straightforward for eircom to confirm that. :D

Like I've said above, they have repeatedly told me on the phone not to move it myself and they will arrange it. If I move it myself, I lose the broadband SLA.

I don't want to lose my broadband, and I also don't want a strangled child.

It's upstairs. I agree, it should NOT be upstairs... they never are usually. This is why I think it's a messed up install in the first place. I can see the point on the wall outside where it comes in. There is no other point downstairs.

Well if that's the case, then it should be pretty straightforward for eircom to confirm that.

Like I've said above, they have repeatedly told me on the phone not to move it myself and they will arrange it. If I move it myself, I lose the broadband SLA.

It's upstairs. I agree, it should NOT be upstairs... they never are usually. This is why I think it's a messed up install in the first place. I can see the point on the wall outside where it comes in. There is no other point downstairs.
    Ah, if Eircom have said they will arrange someone to move it, then yes, don't do anything (moving or running an extension).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Well if that's the case, then it should be pretty straightforward for eircom to confirm that.

Hi pwurple

Can you send me a private message with the new eircom account number and I will look into it. Can you confirm did a technician need to complete the installation at the address or was it connected electronically.

Thanks, Mark

Pm sent Mark.

I just received a letter informing me of a 150 euro deposit, plus a connection fee, even though this wasn't a connection, it was a transfer AND I signed up for direct debit. 

Honestly, not a single solitary thing has been set up correctly with this account. I have completely lost faith in the company and wish to try another provider.

I phoned to initiate a cancellation, as I should still be within the cooling off period. 

I was told that even though was service was only activated yesterday, and the order was initiated on the 16th (5 working days ago) that I am now outside the cooling off period on the 23rd, and there is no cancellation option available for 12 months.

Is this some sort of joke by eircom? To provide the service so slowly that no one can possibly ever possibly be within their cooling off period?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

Pm sent Mark.

I just received a letter informing me of a 150 euro deposit, plus a connection fee, even though this wasn't a connection, it was a transfer AND I signed up for direct debit. 

Honestly, not a single solitary thing has been set up correctly with this account. I have completely lost faith in the company and wish to try another provider.

I phoned to initiate a cancellation, as I should still be within the cooling off period. 

I was told that even though was service was only activated yesterday, and the order was initiated on the 16th (5 working days ago) that I am now outside the cooling off period on the 23rd, and there is no cancellation option available for 12 months.

Is this some sort of joke by eircom? To provide the service so slowly that no one can possibly ever possibly be within their cooling off period?
    That happened to a neighbour of ours last week also. She was told by some rude girl in Cancellations that its not 7 working days, its 7 days from the date of order which is a bit of a joke. But sure that's telecommunication providers for ya.

Yeah, cancellations are snotty beyond belief. I'm even within 7 days of order... as the order was't placed (despite me practically begging every day for it for weeks) until the 16th. 23-16 = 7.... but eircom's maths are different to the rest of the worlds maths apparantly. Obnoxious Cancellation Guy... let's call him Patrick (as that is his name)  told me 1 day had already expired 1 minute after I placed the order. 

I wonder when he was born did he think he was 1 year old a minute after the birth?  :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

Yeah, cancellations are snotty beyond belief. I'm even within 7 days of order... as the order was't placed (despite me practically begging every day for it for weeks) until the 16th. 23-16 = 7.... but eircom's maths are different to the rest of the worlds maths apparantly. Obnoxious Cancellation Guy... let's call him Patrick (as that is his name)  told me 1 day had already expired 1 minute after I placed the order. 

I wonder when he was born did he think he was 1 year old a minute after the birth?
    I don't think they know what they are doing in there tbh. Personally I haven't had much negative experiences with eircom aside from some rude staff in customer care and slow BB at times but I'd suggest logging a complaint with the relevant department or comreg.

• Advertisement

I'll hold on a bit and give them another chance to resolve. I spoke to someone else this morning who assured me it is all getting sorted. 

You're right though, the departments don't seem to communicate with eachother, you get dumped into seemingly random queues when they transfer you and it's all got the vibe of a complete mess. Why do they ask you to enter your phone number before connecting you, and then they don't seem to have access to that info when you speak to them? What's that about? I just typed it, why make me do that and then call it out again  5 times in one call as I get booted from dept to dept?

When one of them told me that the galway office has nothing to do with cases raised by the dublin office (even though I'm in CORK!) I thought I had heard it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I'll hold on a bit and give them another chance to resolve. I spoke to someone else this morning who assured me it is all getting sorted. 

You're right though, the departments don't seem to communicate with eachother, you get dumped into seemingly random queues when they transfer you and it's all got the vibe of a complete mess. Why do they ask you to enter your phone number before connecting you, and then they don't seem to have access to that info when you speak to them? What's that about? I just typed it, why make me do that and then call it out again  5 times in one call as I get booted from dept to dept?

When one of them told me that the galway office has nothing to do with cases raised by the dublin office (even though I'm in CORK!) I thought I had heard it all.
    Hi pwurple

I am following up on your PMs and I will get back to later today.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement