Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Get off the screen you prick, mouthpiece with the usual vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Johner wrote: »
    Why was Froch allowed to continue in the first? The ref was a biased prick. Groves wasn't given a chance to take everything Froch gave.

The bell save Froch in the first round he looked rightly fu*ked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Interesting how many new posters come out of the woodwork after something controversial. Good to see lots of interest in boxing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The bell save Froch in the first round he looked rightly fu*ked

I mean if the ref was so quick to stop it in the 9th why didn't he wave it off in the first? Froch was hurt more than Groves was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I mean if the ref was so quick to stop it in the 9th why didn't he wave it off in the first? Froch was hurt more than Groves was.

it's quite obvious.

more money in a rematch if there's massive controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

How the hell can you interview Robert Smith and NOT bring up those score cards in the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Why was Froch allowed to continue in the first if Groves wasn't in the 9th? The ref was a biased prick. Groves wasn't given a chance to take everything Froch gave.

I do think it was a horrible decision & we were robbed of a chance to see what Groves had, but people bashing Froch for nothing he did is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Criticise the ref. Fine.

Criticise the two dodgy judges. Definitely fine.

But WTF is all this anger at Froch for???
    Some of the comments on here directed at Froch are absolutely disgusting!!
    I'm deadly serious. The man took some huge punches over and over again, but unlike the cowardly keyboard warriors he came back and showed immense courage, guts and will to win, which is something that has to be admired. In the interview after he credited Groves for his effort, but correctly stated that the problem he had was the childish behaviour of Groves beforehand. The majority of people beforehand had a problem with Groves behaviour as well, but as usual collective amnesia sets in afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Would have been a fantastic finish. I had Groves 86-84 ahead (giving Froch round 9) going into the last three rounds. Froch was starting to turn the screw but it would have been very interesting to see if Groves could come again. Could very well have been 104-104 going into the final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Believe me when I say that I am not trolling, but I think that after watching how that fight finished, that cycling is cleaner than boxing. That was a disgraceful way to end a fight of that quality. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Froch was able to continue in the 1st because the ref did his job properly. He stood on front of the fight, looked in his eyes and made n educated decision that he could continue. He did not employ the same thinking for Groves. He should have given him a standing count to judge his health at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

I have always rated George Groves very highly, i'm sick for the lad. Lost a lot of respect for Carl in his extended analysis of the fight.

I'm wearing very thin on patience on how these fights are scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Bad advert for boxing.. absolute disgrace, groves proved it with degale and noe froch…..

GROVES THE REAL CHAMP!

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's quite obvious.

more money in a rematch if there's massive controversy.
    Nah not having that. Ref fcuked up pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

This is why boxing isn't popular as it use to be... it a fix.

groves didn't even get knock out!

megadodge wrote: »
    Criticise the ref. Fine.

Some of the comments on here directed at Froch are absolutely disgusting!!
    I'm deadly serious. The man took some huge punches over and over again, but unlike the cowardly keyboard warriors he came back and showed immense courage, guts and will to win, which is something that has to be admired. In the interview after he credited Groves for his effort, but correctly stated that the problem he had was the childish behaviour of Groves beforehand. The majority of people beforehand had a problem with Groves behaviour as well, but as usual collective amnesia sets in afterwards.

Did you not hear the ****e Froch was spouting after? He is deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

This is why boxing isn't popular as it use to be... it a fix.

groves didn't even get knock out!

northknife wrote: »
    Believe me when I say that I am not trolling, but I think that after watching how that fight finished, that cycling is cleaner than boxing. That was a disgraceful way to end a fight of that quality. :mad:
    Every sport is cleaner than cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

megadodge wrote: »
    Criticise the ref. Fine.

Did you turn down the sound after the fight or something???
    Did you not listen to the P***k

That's no way to be proud of a victory, Its a complete fix, a farce, a joke.
    I was one of Froch's biggest fans but the disrespect he gave to groves after was disgraceful, Delighted the whole arena booed Froch off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Ok. Judges had it terribly close. Ref Let Froch away with 2 clear point deductions. The ref stopped it away to early. Froch got every decisión . Worst feeling iv had after a fight in a long time.

• Advertisement

Do you think there will be a re match?

thisNthat wrote: »

I was one of Froch's biggest fans but the disrespect he gave to groves after was disgraceful, Delighted the whole arena Froch off..
    Did you listen to it?

He gave Groves alot of respect after the fight. He didn't come across very well but he gave him respect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Awful stoppage by the ref, Groves was in trouble but a few extra seconds to see how he reacted was needed. It looked like Groves had burned himself out and I don't think at that stage the winner was going to be anyone but Frock.

Even more shocking was the scoring from 2 of the judges, to have that fight with Groves only 1 round up is baffling, unfortunately a lot of people will ignore this when the rematch is made and we'll see even more money being made which in turn stops anyone from looking at these.

Sad to see the current state of boxing in terms of refereeing and judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Awful stoppage by the ref, Groves was in trouble but a few extra seconds to see how he reacted was needed. It looked like Groves had burned himself out and I don't think at that stage the winner was going to be anyone but Frock.

Even more shocking was the scoring from 2 of the judges, to have that fight with Groves only 1 round up is baffling, unfortunately a lot of people will ignore this when the rematch is made and we'll see even more money being made which in turn stops anyone from looking at these.

Sad to see the current state of boxing in terms of refereeing and judging.

thisNthat wrote: »

I was one of Froch's biggest fans but the disrespect he gave to groves after was disgraceful, Delighted the whole arena Froch off..

What like saying that he thought it should be stopped & that he would imagine George wouldn't. That he was annoyed by what George said in the build up & that he thought it was childish.

That he had respect for George as a boxer but not as a person but now has even more respect for him as a boxer & as a person.

Man gives his honest opinion.

Hate said this isn't WWE when commenting on Foster's headlock on Groves in stopping it.

hmmmm.

really not 100% sure these days.

what did Groves say that was really that disrespectful in the build up?

SlickRic wrote: »
    what did Groves say that was really that disrespectful in the build up?
    Called Froch a chump.

Last time I seen a crowd change like that was in Rocky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Pighead wrote: »
    Called Froch a chump.

So he told the truth then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

gutted it ended the way it did, I thought George came across as a pure knacker all the way up to the fight but after boxing like that he did not deserve the way it ended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pretty funny given what happened tonight :pac:

BZy2AndCUAAepAj.png:large

Pighead wrote: »
    Called Froch a chump.

grand.

the way Froch's gone on you'd swear he'd insulted his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    So he told the truth then.

:rolleyes:
    You know nothing about boxing. how the hell is Froch a chump? if anything tonight he proved he really is a champ, just as he has done many times before.

He may not be the best boxer in the world but his chin, endurance and pure will to win is absolutely immense. How someone can not watch that fight and not have respect for froch baffles me.

Groves tonight proved a hell of a lot as well. Hopefully he has the longevity to come again.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    What like saying that he thought it should be stopped & that he would imagine George wouldn't. That he was annoyed by what George said in the build up & that he thought it was childish.

That he had respect for George as a boxer but not as a person but now has even more respect for him as a boxer & as a person.

Man gives his honest opinion.

Froch Came across terrible. Arrogant only said things when he got booed. He got schooled by a novice. Froch is finished. Iv said it for years. Great chin. Terrible boxer. and an arrogant so and so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

menoscemo wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    You know nothing about boxing. how the hell is Froch a chump? if anything tonight he proved he really is a champ, just as he has done many times before.

He may not be the best boxer in the world but his chin, endurance and pure will to win is absolutely immense. How someone can not watch that fight and not have respect for froch baffles me.

Groves tonight proved a hell of a lot as well. Hopefully he has the longevity to come again.

Most people calling it an injustice that Groves didn't get a few more seconds from the ref. The real injustice was that Froch didn't get those seconds to finish him and then there would be a very different opinion of him after that. Groves was better for the majority of the fight but he started to tire and got sucked in when he really didn't need to go doing that and Froch started to punish him for it. How he was still able to do that after the hammering he got from the first round on is amazing. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

with Booth in corner Groves would have won the fight easily imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Carl Froch the unanimous world champion of back handed compliments, and that was the greatest defeat a "loser" like George could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

After that fight, I don't think the rematch should happen next. Froch needs a name next and the only one that makes sense for him is Hopkins. I thought him and Golovkin would be close before tonight but after that fight Golovkin in my eyes beats him convincingly.

Groves should fight Sakio Bika for the WBC belt, Stieglitz fight aint going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Froch-Ward is so far away now it's not even funny. If Froch has any sense he would get out now. He is a great champion but has been in too many wars.

As for Groves, in retrospect he will look on it as not such a bad night. He now has public backing but what a f***ing fickle bunch they are! He is only 25, he will come again. The fact that the ref stepped in prematurely will ensure that the loss will not blemish his reputation. He has gained a bagful of experience without fully feeling the damage of a 'Loss' to his record. Another tune-up fight and he will be straight back into a title match.

I'm more gutted that he didn't hold Froch or take a knee in the 9th than I am of the decision. He was gone. Had he used his head instead of his heart, he would have weathered the storm.

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    Most people calling it an injustice that Groves didn't get a few more seconds from the ref. The real injustice was that Froch didn't get those seconds to finish him and then there would be a very different opinion of him after that. Groves was better for the majority of the fight but he started to tire and got sucked in when he really didn't need to go doing that and Froch started to punish him for it. How he was still able to do that after the hammering he got from the first round on is amazing. Fair play to him.

And how do you know Groves wouldn't have held on, spoiled and lasted until the end of the round? :confused: Fair play to Froch alright, I'm sure it was his plan to get outboxed for 8 rounds and get a dodgy decision. Froch is a very limited fighter, he can be easily outboxed, he has flat feet and is and always has been terribly overrated. He has a great chin and great heart but we only see how great his chin is because his defence is non existant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Lads its okay i backed froch at 3/1 in play! Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

A champ dosent get schooled..It was 7 rounds to 1 to Groves. Do you think that decision could have possibly happened in America. Groves was rattled not really hurt by the punches.Groves was tired and he made him look ragged but his legs never looked like going.Froch could not handle the speed.Groves took away Froch jab and he dictated the fight..Groves tried too hard to knock Froch..I think with Booth in the corner groves would not have been so naive. It could have been an easy points win he he suck to his jab. the ref heavily favored Froch in the clinches.Froch use of the elbow and a cheap shot as they broke as well tells it all.He was struggling badly for 90% of the fight.It was the way groves won the rounds that was so impressive..The judges are just prove that Eddie Hearn shows are fixed.Beltran now this.Eddie Hearn bringing in bums on the under card and a referee who couldn't do his job.The stoppage and not deducting Froch points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

One of the worst stoppages ive seen in a long time, no exaggeration.

Groves threw it away though by being drawn into a scrap. Froch really is impossible to hurt once hes warmed up.

The whole thing stinks to high heavens though in fairness. Whether it be a TV thing, a sanctioning body directive or whatever. The result that was best for "business" was had tonight.

What I would like to see is a transparent system where judges scoring comes under closer scrutiny, dodgy cards need to be analysed and judges in question need to be made accountable. Whatever about the farcical stoppage, it should be mandatory that judges (who can score that Groves being only 1 point ahead by the time the fight was stopped) need to explain themselves.

Its not good enough to talk about "what fight was he/she watching". Something needs to be done right now.

Secondly, judges/referees backgrounds need to be checked more thoroughly. Financial records, the whole lot. Something stank about that stoppage, the ref didn't even look Groves in the eye before waving it off. Either hes grossly incompetent at his job, or else hes on an earner from someone who knows whats best for business.

Its becoming a joke in the UK, don't forget the Burns v Beltran fight aswell which had a farcical element to it aswell.

Its simply not good enough to say such things cause "lively debate" etc... questions need to be answered.

For what its worth, I have no preference for either Froch or Groves, every boxing fan knows Froch's limitations. pre fight, the debate amongst those who know boxing was whether Groves had the where with all to expose these limitations and he did that for 7-8 rounds in quite emphatic fashion.

The boxing powers that be have now seemingly created their own narrative in order to milk more money for "the rematch" which Eddie Hearn quite ashamedly mentioned straight after the fight no less.

For me, it was clearly not a level playing field in that ring tonight, The champ was given multiple warnings (and in some rounds not warned at all) for hitting after the bell and using forearms on multiple occasions.

Again, this is either a case of a grossly incompetent referee or else something alot more worrying (a way of hopefully doing whats best for business).

Watched a "Big Fight" again with friends (who can kinda take it or leave it) and was embarrassed to have to defend questions once again as to why we follow such a clearly corrupt sport.

Anyway rant over.

On a side not, Froch strikes me as a very insecure individual. The booing at the end is probably worse to him than any KO he could suffer. He mentioned the word "respect" about 10 times in a bizarre post fight rant justifying his win. Was quite funny to see him salute the crowd at the end when they were booing quite loudly its as if his pride wouldn't allow him to acknowledge thats what was happening so was best for him to block it out. When a guy has to constantly ask for respect and remind folks that he is to be respected then its hard to maintain the sentiment.

Terrific heart and extraordinary chin but hes nothing special really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

That fight sicked me, if it had of continued maybe Froch would have got the KO (it was looking 50/50) but there's no way it was ever a stoppage at that stage.

The 2 judges having Groves up by a round was even worse.

I like Froch and hate Groves, no matter what way you look at it though, there's no way they were only separated by the knockdown.

There won't be a rematch here unless Froch is happy to take a paycheck and retire and I can't see it happening, Froch looked like he aged tonight and Groves will push on so in 6 months time things won't be any better for Froch.

This is what I hate about these decisions, I feel sorry for Groves even though I dislike him and he may have been stopped anyway, with such a dominant performance, he has to be given the opportunity.

We may just say it was a poor performance by the ref but no excuse could possibly be made for 2 of 3 judges.

Groves should just forget about it and continue on from here

Froch Came across terrible. Arrogant only said things when he got booed. He got schooled by a novice. Froch is finished. Iv said it for years. Great chin. Terrible boxer. and an arrogant so and so

Arrogant WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion of the World who had been finished for years.

Those cup cake fights against Lucian Bute & Mikkel Kessler nicely padding his record in the past 18 months alright.

Arrogant WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion of the World who had been finished for years.

Those cup cake fights against Lucian Bute & Mikkel Kessler nicely padding his record in the past 18 months alright.

Your blinded lad, bute was more protected than a Muslim wife, and Kessler is a shadow of what he was, do you not remember the hammering ward gave him, froch is terribly overrated, just accept it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Credit where credit is due, Froch's durability is something else. To eat shots the way he does and keep going is amazing.

He probably would of stopped Groves in the end but thats besides the point, the ref should never of stopped that, it was a championship match for **** sake and the ref headlocks Groves and stops it early? ridiculous stuff.

Im not sure if Froch would be all that keen on a rematch, I can't see what he could change, where as George can fix a few things and make it an easier nights work, he'd outbox him any night of the week.

Groves should never of engaged in a war with Froch, it was a huge mistake and he suffered because of it.

As for Ward-Froch again, id be very suprised if this ever happened now after seeing this fight.

Froch will probably take the mandatory defense aand retire, it's the most sensibly thing to do now as Groves and Ward have his number and no what he's about. He really got out of jail tonight thanks to that ref.

colly10 wrote: »
    Groves should just forget about it and continue on from here

Groves should take massive confidence from the fight. He had Froch dead to rights but got slowly drawn into a rumble.

Unreal speed & did great job working off the ropes when Froch got him there either through speed or power pushing Froch back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Your blinded lad, bute was more protected than a Muslim wife, and Kessler is a shadow of what he was, do you not remember the hammering ward gave him, froch is terribly overrated, just accept it,
    I think that's what he mean't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement