Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paul64

Lads I backed the fight to end under 9.5 rounds have I a winner or a loser? Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

In round 8 Froch got another final warning. 1 min later he hit groves 3 times after ref called break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Groves had it won hands down,he got into trouble,tried to fight his way out of it ,when he should have taken a count on his knee,or held onto Froch would have given him that bit of time he needed to recover, as he was well ahead,loseing that round would have made no difference to Groves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the crowd were a bunch of glory hunters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

paul64 wrote: »
    Lads I backed the fight to end under 9.5 rounds have I a winner or a loser? Haha

Winner.

SRFC wrote: »
    Winner.

Are u sure mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

menoscemo wrote: »
    11_medium.gif

The last left hook was a real steam rolling punch
    The ref is the image of froch.............................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

paul64 wrote: »
    Are u sure mate?

Yeah,If you back under 3.5 goals in the football and theres 3 goals your a winner,over 3.5 would need 4 goals so i presume its the same as the boxing,needed the 10 round to start for you to lose as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Froch is so consumed with his legacy that he won't want to bow out like that or leave it unsettled with Groves

I don't think so, he has no interest in a Ward rematch, I'd say he'll say he's shown he's the better man and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

let Groves win the next one and have the blow-off in Hell-in-a-Cell. Undercard can have the Big Show/Floyd rematch.

• Advertisement

SRFC wrote: »
    Yeah,If you back under 3.5 goals in the football and theres 3 goals your a winner,over 3.5 would need 4 goals so i presume its the same as the boxing,needed the 10 round to start for you to lose as far as I know.

Yea your bang on mate I was paid haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25075852

i guess he really needs to believe this.. I can't see Carl being able to improve on last nights showing - i mean he can't suddenly become fleeted footed and fast- handed enough to out jab Groves, whereas Groves will improve next time out and, more importantly, he will learn from his lack of nous in this fight. Booth, had he been in his corner, would have have him given such a bollocking for getting dragged into a slugfest.

Carl will run out of excuses next time out and be left to end his career at a low point. If i was him i'd take the Ward fight and then retire. At least that way he won't have lost to someone he can't stand. However, does Froch really want to fight ward again, because he let slip in an interview that he doesn't really believe he could beat Ward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Groves tried to put froch away in the 6th. Froch took his best shots and to be frank was always going to win the fight after round 4. After round 6 he shouldered groves on the way back to his corner,because he knew he had him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25075852

i guess he really needs to believe this.. I can't see Carl being able to improve on last nights showing - i mean he can't suddenly become fleeted footed and fast- handed enough to out jab Groves, whereas Groves will improve next time out and, more importantly, he will learn from his lack of nous in this fight. Booth, had he been in his corner, would have have him given such a bollocking for getting dragged into a slugfest.

Carl will run out of excuses next time out and be left to end his career at a low point. If i was him i'd take the Ward fight and then retire. At least that way he won't have lost to someone he can't stand. However, does Froch really want to fight ward again, because he let slip in an interview that he doesn't really believe he could beat Ward.

If Froch really believes that, then hes even more of an arrogant idiot than I thought he was. There was only one fighter in that fight up to about 5 seconds before the stoppage, and it certainly wasnt Carl Froch. He was being completely outclassed until Groves forgot about his game plan and started dropping his hands stupidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

moneymad wrote: »
    Groves tried to put froch away in the 6th. Froch took his best shots and to be frank was always going to win the fight after round 4. After round 6 he shouldered groves on the way back to his corner,because he knew he had him.

He knew he had him? :confused: So his plan was to be comprehensively outboxed for the first half of the fight barely landing a glove on Groves? Froch has a problem with anyone who can box well and anyone with speed. Looking at the scorecards there was no way Groves had any chance of winning the fight on points , if it went the distance he would have probably lost a dodgy split decision. He did everything he could in the first 8 rounds and was miles ahead of Froch in class yet two judges had it 4 rounds all with the knockdown the difference, that is the biggest disgrace here and just shows that Groves could only have won that fight last night with a knockout. Boxing is a joke of a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see a bit of a boxing match about once every two years so I am certainly no expert, but even though there does seem to be something dodgy about the scorecards I have to say I do see why the referee stopped the fight.

I think if that fight had went on for another 20 seconds then Groves would have been knocked down, he really looked in trouble to me.

Would the fight have been stopped if Froch was in the exact same position as Groves was when he was stopped? The answer is no. Froch is a warrior, he can take all the punishment! But we better protect little George Groves from a beating from the warrior Froch so it's best to stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

In round 8 Froch got another final warning. 1 min later he hit groves 3 times after ref called break.

After the ref had called break, Groves hit Froch twice in the back if the head. Froch reacted with 3 punches back. All fair really

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

This is nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

I'm a Froch fan but I really have to say what an awful decision. One of the worst decisions I've seen in boxing in a long time, up the with Bradley v Pacqiaou.

Froch was slow, out of ideas and anyone that thinks he would've finished off Groves is deluding themselves. Froch may have had him on the ropes but Groves was ducking, returning punches proving he was still capable of fighting. Come the end of the round Groves would've no doubt regained his composure and finished off the fight with a points win. Although, I'm not so sure they would've given him that either

I do give Carl credit for his tremendous conditioning and ability to take a punch.
    Not many other fighters would have survived the beating he took early on in this fight.
    Also he has ducked no one, and been in war after war many a times.

However, if Groves had stuck to using his superior boxing ability, he would have won on points. While Groves was fading and hurt in the later rounds, i didn't really see his legs give way at any point. He may have been stopped if it had continued, we'll never know, but the stoppage was definitely premature. You would not hear Carl saying the ref did the right thing if he had ended the fight because he deemed Carl unfit to continue after being out of it for a bit(which he was) after the knock down.

Johner wrote: »
    Would the fight have been stopped if Froch was in the exact same position as Groves was when he was stopped? The answer is no. Froch is a warrior, he can take all the punishment! But we better protect little George Groves from a beating from the warrior Froch so it's best to stop it.

Exactly. That's the point. Groves referred to this in the post fight press conference.

jayod30 wrote: »
    After the ref had called break, Groves hit Froch twice in the back if the head. Froch reacted with 3 punches back. All fair really

So give groves a final warning and deduct a point off Froch. The ref was bias towards Froch. All fight. The ending was very early. The scorecards were a disgrace. Froch team picked the ring size and canvas. What more help does he need to beat a 19 fight novice Who had fought one fringe World class opponent. By way i rated groves higher than that but ya cant hide his record.

However, if Groves had stuck to using his superior boxing ability, he would have won on points.

The annoying thing is that I don't actually think Groves had a chance of winning that fight on points because of the 2 judges that had it 4 rounds all with the knockdown the difference. 2 judges seeing it the exact same as each other but completely different to everybody else, it just stinks. It would have been a dodgy split to Froch if it went to the cards.

Froch is an extremely average boxer with an iron chin. Hope Groves takes him out next time, thats if he gets a rematch!

• Advertisement

Froch does have an iron chin alright but it is madness how much credit he gets for being a human punchbag. His defence is non existant thats the reason you see he has an iron chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Froch really dented his image last night. The ref let him away with murder. The amount of times Froch threw punches after the ref said break were countless. He also rammed his elbow into Groves face. All of these went unpunished bar a few meaningless warnings. Then after the fight Froch was totally ungracious in victory.

Groves was easily the better fighter. How the refs scored their cards is another reason why boxing in general is fast turning into a farce. Another blip in the sport with another disgraceful stoppage. It really is disheartening in what is a great sport.

The annoying thing is that I don't actually think Groves had a chance of winning that fight on points because of the 2 judges that had it 4 rounds all with the knockdown the difference. 2 judges seeing it the exact same as each other but completely different to everybody else, it just stinks. It would have been a dodgy split to Froch if it went to the cards.

That is a joke!. I did not realize the judges had it so close. There is something not right, either the judges are clueless or there is something sinister going on... I had Carl winning two rounds at most.

Froch does have an iron chin alright but it is madness how much credit he gets for being a human punchbag. His defence is non existant thats the reason you see he has an iron chin.

He doesnt keep his right hand up at all, its mad. I dont know how hes got away with it for so long.

Well it's for the same reason i admire an ultra marathon runner being able to finish de sables. The mental strength it takes to take that much punishment and keep going is impressive, but i see what you're saying a boxing purist doesn't see much to admire in Carl Froch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

Froth said afterwards the ref was correct to stop it because he said he had a free hit on Groves and that it was potentially a dangerous situation and the ref had to primarily consider the safety of the boxers. In that case it could have been stopped at any point between round 1-8 as Groves could land the right on Froch whenever he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought like many people that Froch would win. Having seen that last night I would not put one penny on Froch in a rematch. Groves has his number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn't get to see the fight. Raging. It sounded like a cracker. How good was Groves, and was the stoppage really bad, from an objective point of view? The refs have split decisions to make that could go right or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

walshb wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the fight. Raging. It sounded like a cracker. How good was Groves, and was the stoppage really bad, from an objective point of view? The refs have split decisions to make that could go right or wrong.

shocking stoppage in fairness, even his unorthodox method of stopping the fight (getting Groves in a headlock and pulling him away from Froch) was crazy.

Groves even shipped a heavy bodyshot when the ref was trying to pull him away.

It stank to high heavens last night, Matchroom protecting their cash cow. It was even more scandalous to read the score cards afterward, 2 judges only had a point in it.

Groves was superb last night, honestly didn't expect it at all. Really made Froch look as limited as he predicted pre fight. Turns out it wasn't a lack of respect by Groves post fight, it was his analysis of Froch's flaws having clearly studied him for a few years.

Having said that, Froch displayed his granite chin and shipped some huge shots and showed heart of a lion and Groves show naivety in being dragged into Froch's kinda fight in the end and may well have been stopped had the fight been allowed run its course.

Watch the replay of the Knockdown in round 1, Froch was out for a split second before hitting the canvas, massive kudos for recovering.

Enough is enough with Matchroom though, too many dodgy decisions in favour of their fighters on domestic cards. Burns, Bellew, Rose and now Froch have received extremely generous treatment.

Not to mention the ref's performance last night prior to the stoppage. Constant hitting after the break/bell and use of forearm by Froch. He must have received 5/6 warnings in 9 rounds and not a single point deduction either.

The whole set up needs looking at.

Groves trainer Paddy Fitzpatrick summed it up well on Sky this morn, hes a pretty straight shooter too who is quite a low key guy:

"every few fights we have these kind of decisions, we all go mad, then it goes away, and then somebody else gets their living ripped off, then we carry on etc etc"

"not this time"

Amazing in this day and age when match fixing and betting patterns are investigated etc.. that we don't see any proper investigation into boxing. Bank accounts of judges/referees would make some great investigation fodder for starters.

I know folks will say boxing is the most subjective of sports in terms of differing views of a particular result but some of them really take the biscuit and there can be no disputing this surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

walshb wrote: »

click here

you can see how wide everybody else had it.

It was an atrocious decision. The worst ive seen in my time thats for sure

Groves was robbed. plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bodyhead

Disgraceful! Groves was easily the better fighter, Froch was nowhere, REMATCH !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

bodyhead wrote: »
    Disgraceful! Groves was easily the better fighter, Froch was nowhere, REMATCH !!

exactly the response Eddie Hearn would be licking his lips to upon reading.

Its the equivalent of blowing the final whistle to an FA cup final around the 80th minute mark and asking fans to pay good money to see it again.

You just wouldn't get it in any other sport, its no wonder pro boxing has the rep it does. And fans seem to put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

Referee Foster sparks controversy after 'liking' comment on Facebook predicting ninth-round Froch win over Groves

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2512697/Howard-Foster-likes-comment-predicting-ninth-round-win-Carl-Froch-George-Groves.html#ixzz2la7fEm9e
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

disgusting if it is true... but then again it is the DM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Warper wrote: »
    How the refs scored their cards is another reason why boxing in general is fast turning into a farce.
    You must not be watching boxing long. The scoring in the sport has been a farce for decades. Just look at any Don King promotion in the last 30 years. Once it goes to the scorecards they might aswell just ask the promoter who he wants to win. And that's before you mention the amount of drug taking that goes on in the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

Fight was clearly a fix, ref nd judges obviously knew how it was meant to go= Froch win. There not even really trying to hide it, know nothing will happen, Hearn laughing all the way to the bank, the Burns desision was a joke aswel (even though I was happy for burns as he's a nice guy unlike that clown Froch).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Fabric Softener

Was just looking at a post fight interview groves did, he was gutted, close to tears. Hopefully he can out it behind him and knock Froch out in a rematch.

Was just looking at a post fight interview groves did, he was gutted, close to tears. Hopefully he can out it behind him and knock Froch out in a rematch.

Froch wont give him a rematch ill be suprised If he does .

Groves will win a world title, he deserves a rematch but I wouldn't think Froch would be keen on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

I'd say Froch is disgusted too...I think he was getting the upper hand and had Groves in trouble. If he had Groves another round or 2 he would have stopped Groves w/o the help of the ref and he wouldnt have to contemplate a rematch.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bodyhead

exactly the response Eddie Hearn would be licking his lips to upon reading.

Its the equivalent of blowing the final whistle to an FA cup final around the 80th minute mark and asking fans to pay good money to see it again.

You just wouldn't get it in any other sport, its no wonder pro boxing has the rep it does. And fans seem to put up with it.

Yeah your probably right on the that one, £ in his eyes.

Makes me sick, so angry ! feel robbed of enjoying a great fightmad.png, at least I had Pacman and Bam Bam good as it was, not great though!frown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

megadodge wrote: »
    While Lee's knockdown punches were all impressive, the fact that such an ordinary opponent could hit him so easily is a serious worry.

He's always been too easy to hit. No head movement, no ability to slip shots, almost defenceless when someone gets inside his jab. He has excellent punching technique, but sadly it's just not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Finally getting around to watching this fight. What an utterly horrendous decision to end the fight.

Froch goes down in the 1st and the fight continues. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure the ref would've stopped it.

Froch continually taking cheap shots after the ref called for break and went unpunished which is just maddening.

Groves looks a good fighter and hopefully this doesn't dent his confidence in any way.

I've only seen Froch a couple of times but he looked very average. His ability to take punishment is incredible but he looks so lethargic. Came across as a bit of a dick in his post fight interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Henno30 wrote: »
    He's always been too easy to hit. No head movement, no ability to slip shots, almost defenceless when someone gets inside his jab. He has excellent punching technique, but sadly it's just not enough.
    LEES GOING NOWHERE

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

I'd say Froch is disgusted too...I think he was getting the upper hand and had Groves in trouble. If he had Groves another round or 2 he would have stopped Groves w/o the help of the ref and he wouldnt have to contemplate a rematch.

Quotes of this nature are unfair and don't add anything. We don't know what would have happened. Groves looked strong to me, he's the bigger puncher and he getting the last word in the majority of the exchanges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement