Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Your right, I blame him for leaving his face in the way of his forearm/elbow aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

It's as much a shame for Froch as it is for Groves IMO.

Groves was superb, he dropped him, stunned him, made him look old. HOWEVER, at the end of the day, Froch walked through what Groves had to offer and he was putting it on him hard in the 9th.

Groves IMO was getting stopped, no doubt in my mind! I am disgusted with Howard Foster, he is usually rock steady and last night the was f*ucking horrendous. Groves had that bloody head in Froch's face more than out of it and was head butting properly in the clinch (which is one of my biggest hates in boxing). Froch's as then in turn not listening to a ****in word Foster was saying and no points deductions for either man.

At the end of the day it boils down to this, Groves stock has risen and he should fight one of these next (Abraham, Bika, Dirrell, Magee or Kessler) he would beat all of them IMO and would get his PROPER world level win and go from there.

Froch in his defence didn't stop the fight himself, he fought his heart out and for anybody to get on his back is disgusting, the man has been a great servant to the sport and always gives value. He needs to take a look at his career now and IMO retire, he's fought everyone and anyone and at 36 he's looking slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Gorman700 wrote: »
    It's as much a shame for Froch as it is for Groves IMO.

Groves was superb, he dropped him, stunned him, made him look old. HOWEVER, at the end of the day, Froch walked through what Groves had to offer and he was putting it on him hard in the 9th.

Groves IMO was getting stopped, no doubt in my mind! I am disgusted with Howard Foster, he is usually rock steady and last night the was f*ucking horrendous. Groves had that bloody head in Froch's face more than out of it and was head butting properly in the clinch (which is one of my biggest hates in boxing). Froch's as then in turn not listening to a ****in word Foster was saying and no points deductions for either man.

At the end of the day it boils down to this, Groves stock has risen and he should fight one of these next (Abraham, Bika, Dirrell, Magee or Kessler) he would beat all of them IMO and would get his PROPER world level win and go from there.

Froch in his defence didn't stop the fight himself, he fought his heart out and for anybody to get on his back is disgusting, the man has been a great servant to the sport and always gives value. He needs to take a look at his career now and IMO retire, he's fought everyone and anyone and at 36 he's looking slow.

Froch seems to me one of the cockiest most arrogant boxers iv ever seen or heard, he has a great chin and big heart, but a terrible boxer at the basics, it's a real shame calzaghe did not get his hands on him because froch would of been a punchbag for 12 rounds worse than Lacey was

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Fabric Softener

I find Groves arrogance for someone who has achieved nothing in comparison much worse.

How was he arrogant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

How was he arrogant?

He believed he could win! That's all. Cheeky young groves how could he dare disrespect Froch thinking he could beat him. Turns out he had Froch's number till the boxing gods (dodgy ref & even dodgier judges should it go to a decision) decided differently.

I watched every interview and press conference and froch made up and exaggerated everything groves said to try and turn him into the villain he actually made stuff up, and froch after the fight his attitude in the ring and in the interviews just came across terrible, last night getting schooled by a novice who froch said was not world class and getting booed will hurt the big head bad ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CtrlAltDefeat

Froch is the man

• Advertisement

Couldn't back it up? trolling level 0/10. Must try harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I got to see the scrap, albeit on youtube on a decent feed, not crystal. Groves to me looked every bit as fresh as Froch at the start of rd 9. I struggled to see any clean and dangerous punches landed by Froch just before the ref jumped in early. Maybe the referee saw better? And, I am going to start watching fights on mute. The commentary at times is so off the mark and exaggerated. Nick Halling claiming that Groves' legs were gone? Groves looked bothered, but not near to the point where he was close to out.

Seconds before the stoppage both men were swinging and missing. Ludicrous stoppage!

Haha, "we all know it was an early stoppage". ,I stopped after that you said one bit of sense

When did this walking down start?:confused:

walshb wrote: »
    I got to see the scrap, albeit on youtube on a decent feed, not crystal. Groves to me looked every bit as fresh as Froch at the start of rd 9. I struggled to see any clean and dangerous punches landed by Froch just before the ref jumped in early. Maybe the referee saw better? And, I am going to start watching fights on mute. The commentary at times is so off the mark and exaggerated. Nick Halling claiming that Groves' legs were gone? Groves looked bothered, but not near to the point where he was close to out.

Seconds before the stoppage both men were swinging and missing. Ludicrous stoppage!

That's my major problem it's not that froch won, before the fight I never thought he would get smashed up for so many rounds I though it would be even after 6-7 and froch to win , but the scorecards , the ref in the fight , and the stoppage leaves a bad feeling, I won't pay for a fight again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Groves was getting in with the head up close too,it was a rough fight and Groves came suprisingly to mix it up but ultimately couldn't quite stick the pace and wilted in round nine.

Groves looked great last night but is chinny,you could see it in him last night.

Chinny, yet didn't get dropped?

Kop on. Imagine if that ref had of worked Gatti-ward, hagler-hearns, Khan-Maidana.

None of them would have been the classics they where. Round 9 was one last throw of the dice for Froch. If George had made it through, I'm confident he would have stopped what would have been an extremely tired and weary man.

But unfortunately Howard foster robbed us of that

another spectacular cobra win by Carl "The Conqueror" Froch = LEGEND
    next up is andre "roid" ward getting KtfO in UK 2014

Stop crying , groves fanboys.. george is lucky the ref stopped it or he would have sustained some serious damage in the late rounds! no way he would have survived

m not trying to take anything away from george, he's a great fighter and he proved he is able to get in the ring with top contenders and have success..
    I see him having a better chance vs andre ward , as he doesnt possess the same punching power or punch resistance as carl does

wouldnt recommend a rematch though, carl will be more serious next time..could end up killing the guy!

I hope your first post is the last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I don't mind Froch. But I just watched the fight back again and he got his arse handed to him. He did himself no favours with the crowd either. They could see what happened in the ring. He also talked down to the crowd and treated them like that they didn't know what they were looking at.

EDDIE HEARN IS A PARASITE

Groves and Beltran should be given those belts.
    Hearn is behind all this.

Oh and froch just said a Handful of fans booing. It sounded like it was the full 15000 booing.

Terrible night for boxing.

The only person that wins from this is Hearn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

[QUOTE=CtrlAltDefeat;8767407es

wouldnt recommend a rematch though, carl will be more serious next time..could end up killing the guy![/QUOTE]

an excellent analysis of the fight.

As you point out Carl took the fight lightly- he was only threatening to flatten Groves for the fun of it.

you're also right in saying Carl will improve immensely next time around. he'll out box Groves next time round, because at 36 he'll suddenly become fleet of foot and develop very fast hands:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In hindsight Groves would have been better off staying with Warren, he'd probably be WBO champion at this stage.

You are some joke seriously. Haven't a clue about MMA and now add boxing to the list. Couldn't back it up? you are either trolling or a bit of a gimp

hahahahahahahaha

0/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

My own take on it is, Groves came out of the blocks very well, set his stall out to counter punch and take away Frochs jab. This worked so well and he was winning the fight comfortably as most would agree on. A lack of experience maybe, saw him start to get into a war with a man who's chin is made of granite and this wore him down a little. It galvanised Carl and I think you have to take your hat off to Froch regardless of personal opinion on him. He took everything Groves had, he took several clean punches that looked like KO punches and walked through them, he took all that and he still put himself in a position to win the fight

His conditioning is unbelievable and the longer the fight went on the more I felt he was starting to gain the upper hand and I wasn't so sure Groves could take all of what Carl had and stay standing. The ref stopped it early, yes, no question there for me but you have to try to understand the position they are in too. If he felt that Groves was no longer able to defend himself he has to stop it or Groves could have got seriously hurt

I think Froch would have stopped him regardless, whether it would have been that round or the next I think it was coming, that's just an opinion of course and we will never know what would have happened.

The decision robs Froch of a clear outcome as much as Groves, it does show him maybe that it is time to hang up the gloves, he is far too slow these days to be trading it with the next generation and Groves stock has just gone up despite the defeat. I felt the fight came a little early for him in his career before the fight and I still say that now, if he had a bit more big fight experience I think he could have won, Carl was going to have to take chances, he needed the stoppage. Groves could have stuck with the counter punch tactic big time in the later rounds and possibly taken a tired and reckless Carl out?

A rematch will probably happen because of money.

After re watching it I did see Carl land one or two clean shots just before the stoppage. I still think the referee got it wrong, but I would not ever be over critical of a referee. They have such a responsibility in there. Split seconds can be the difference between life and death, not just win and lose.

I am not of the opinion that had Groves weathered that "small" storm he would have been stopped. I think he had every chance of seeing the final bell, or even knocking Carl out. Froch was blowing hard, and who's to say that another couple of real belters would not have dropped him?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Every time i watch the replays it looks worse and its up there with one of the dodgiest stoppages i have ever seen. Groves reaction to the ref stopping him says it all, he had all his faculties about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

I think the fact you are in a majority of one with this opinion says it all really, sometimes its better to say nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Decisions like that really worry me about boxing, that fight got a lot of coverage. Resulting in a lot of very casual fans watching it.

It leaves a very bad taste in viewers mouths,
    it was the perfect fairy tale, the underdog coming out to boo's knocking the champion down in the first round and having him on the back foot for the night.

Groves was in control of that fight and it was so exciting to watch, the referee ruined what was potentially fight of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Nearly had a heart attack when Groves had Froch down in the first round.

I love those heart-in-mouth moments in boxing.

Like when Mosley rattled Mayweather badly and for a split second it looked like he was gone or when Marquez nailed Pac in their last fight. Moments that "shake so my single state of man" as Macbeth would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

While you have to give Froch credit for durability, he looked awful. Despite the great chin he was wobbled a number of times and it might be a case of one too many wars for him. Should hang them up, not a guy id like to have a beer with maybe, but gets a lot of respect in my book, was a virtual nobody a few short years ago and built a reputation the hard way by going to fight the best in the division, often in their own back yards. Has done a lot better for himself than many more talented fighters who didnt have his bottle.

Groves emerges with a lot of credit imo, i knew he was a decent puncher but didnt think he had as much one-shot ko power, that shot that took froch down would have ko'd many fighters. He looked sharp, fast, accurate and until the latter rounds pretty mature in there. The moment he dropped his hands and stuck his chin out the alarm bells went off though, as many have said, a case of inexperience or youthful bravado. Hopefully there's a lot to come from him, he's an exciting fighter and i think has proved he's a real talent.

Anyone think DeGale beats Froch? I do, and said so before the Groves match. Would love to see it. I would now make Groves a favorite over DeGale. George has really matured and strengthened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Davei141 wrote: »
    You are some joke seriously. Haven't a clue about MMA and now add boxing to the list. Couldn't back it up? you are either trolling or a bit of a gimp

Less of that - keep it on topic. Respect each others opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Anyone think DeGale beats Froch? I do, and said so before the Groves match. Would love to see it. I would now make Groves a favorite over DeGale. George has really matured and strengthened.

I think Groves is much better now than when he beat DeGale last time out. Groves would win easily.

Groves against Ward in two or three fights time would be a more competitive fight than you might think. I'm not saying he'd win, but he'd give a good account of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Froch saying the ref saved Groves career by stopping it.
    Groves will be live in Sky Sports studio at 3.30pm.
    Has Froch been on Tv since the fight?

blade1 wrote: »
    Froch saying the ref saved Groves career by stopping it.
    Groves will be live in Sky Sports studio at 3.30pm.
    Has Froch been on Tv since the fight?

Hahahaha ya I heard that rubbish from froch, ya he was on yesterday spouting the usual Rubbish, never seen him so busted up, groves bruises after 3 jabs he has a hatton face :D. But froch normally does not look as busted up

Hahahaha ya I heard that rubbish from froch, ya he was on yesterday spouting the usual Rubbish, never seen him so busted up, groves bruises after 3 jabs he has a hatton face :D. But froch normally does not look as busted up

Groves did look busted up all the same. Still, he was 3-4 points ahead on my card, maybe more. I think he could have still won had the fight went on, and I would back him in a rematch within 6 months.

Groves did look busted up all the same. Still, he was 3-4 points ahead on my card, maybe more. I think he could have still won had the fight went on, and I would back him in a rematch within 6 months.

Groves was badly bruised after 2 or 3 round, he marks very easy,

• Advertisement

Groves looked like he had been in a war, Froch not so much I thought which is amazing consider he blocked most of Groves punches with his face for the night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

every now and again someone comes along who seems to absolutely revel in going against the grain in terms of general opinion.

To say Groves did not back up his talk is pure nonsense plain and simple. The stoppage was premature and prior to that Groves made Froch look extremely limited (which was his original boast in the build up).

another spectacular cobra win by Carl “The Conqueror” Froch = LEGEND
    next up is andre “roid” ward getting KtfO in UK 2014

Stop crying , groves fanboys.. george is lucky the ref stopped it or he would have sustained some serious damage in the late rounds! no way he would have survived

m not trying to take anything away from george, he’s a great fighter and he proved he is able to get in the ring with top contenders and have success..
    I see him having a better chance vs andre ward , as he doesnt possess the same punching power or punch resistance as carl does

wouldnt recommend a rematch though, carl will be more serious next time..could end up killing the guy!

every now and again someone comes along who seems to absolutely revel in going against the grain in terms of general opinion.

To say Groves did not back up his talk is pure nonsense plain and simple. The stoppage was premature and prior to that Groves made Froch look extremely limited (which was his original boast in the build up).

did you even watch the fight? Cobra got straight back up from the surprise knockdown he then walked through everything groves had to offer, CF eating numerous powerpunches to his nose and face but ultimately wore down GG and would have destroyed gassy groves if foster hadnt stepped in and saved him

i feel bad for froch , if he had been allowed to finish groves this win wouldnt be tainted, and we wouldnt be hearing all this nonsence about groves being robbed and carl doing something wrong apart from getting caught with some lethal punches like he always does

"the Invincible Man" Froch = LEGEND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

m not trying to take anything away from george, he’s a great fighter and he proved he is able to get in the ring with top contenders and have success..

did you even watch the fight? Cobra got straight back up from the surprise knockdown he then walked through everything groves had to offer, CF eating numerous powerpunches to his nose and face but ultimately wore down GG and would have destroyed gassy groves if foster hadnt stepped in and saved him

i feel bad for froch , if he had been allowed to finish groves this win wouldnt be tainted, and we wouldnt be hearing all this nonsence about groves being robbed and carl doing something wrong apart from getting caught with some lethal punches like he always does

"the Invincible Man" Froch = LEGEND

Is that you Carl?
    Welcome to Boards!:D

Am I having deja vu or was there not a very similar, if not identical post, a couple of pages back?

kryogen wrote: »
    Am I having deja vu or was there not a very similar, if not identical post, a couple of pages back?

it is deja vu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

you do realise that you have no way of knowing whether froch would have stopped Groves since he wasn't given the chance to due to the stoppage?

You can spout it all you want, Froch was going to end it but we simply do not know.

Why didn't the ref step in when Froch was floored and falling back onto the ropes in the first round?

You obviously don't watch much boxing if you think its acceptable to end a world title fight that way. Simple as that

stop crying groves & fanboys

• Advertisement
Advertisement