Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭megadodge

I think it's much the same as the first fight, Froch late or Groves on points if he can hold Froch's late charge off. I think Groves does have stamina issues and this affects his gameplan, so it's really a case of surviving the last 4 rounds as I expect him to be ahead on points at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Who do you want to win and who do you think will?

I hope for Froch for a great KO but think Groves will win by KO

I want to see Groves win. willmunny1990s post sums it up best for me. It's Groves to lose. He is quicker and a better boxer. The only question is the physical/stamina and strength. Groves has the ability to really hurt Groves, but Froch to has the ability to hurt Groves. I just think that George's speed and better punching skills should see hi m win more rds. Can George still keep it up in the late rds when/if the fight is getting more rugged and bruising?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Anthony Joshua will risk his unbeaten record against the fearsome Matt Legg to kick off the bill

Matt has a devastating record of 7 wins, 3 of those by KO, and 2 losses, both by KO

I know Joshua has only had 5 fights, but does anyone else think that they should be stepping up the opponents now? What is he going to learn from another round 1 KO

Anthony Joshua will risk his unbeaten record against the fearsome Matt Legg to kick off the bill

Matt has a devastating record of 7 wins, 3 of those by KO, and 2 losses, both by KO

I know Joshua has only had 5 fights, but does anyone else think that they should be stepping up the opponents now? What is he going to learn from another round 1 KO

Legg is very ordinary. Toney did a number on him a couple of months back in the prizefighter. Joshua should win easily. Joshua still has to take a good and clean shot to the chin. And, at HW almost all the lads can hurt when they connect clean. So even though it seems like a walkover, there is always that slight risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Stretch The Qunt

looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I know what you're saying but he's young and didn't have a long amateur career so I can see both sides. Hearn did say he be ready for domestic titles this year though so all in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

hope froch wins again,he's been a great champion,never ducks a challenge. i think he'll be a bit more cautious early rounds,then put the pressure on groves as the fight goes on. groves is not as calm as he was in the 1st fight build up,he's trying to unsettled froch with his antics but its not working this time. think this could also be a factor in the fight. no doubt groves will be a world champion one day but hopefully froch comes out on top again this time. it'll be another cracking fight either way

kcimd wrote: »
    no doubt groves will be a world champion one day but hopefully froch comes out on top again this time. it'll be another cracking fight either way

Not sure how you can be so certain. He had his chance vs a fading Froch and didn't get the job done. You have Bika and Abraham as champions. Bika is a hard and tough nut, plus, who knows what the landscape will be like in 6-12 months. AA is beatable, no doubt. Groves still has to prove he can survive when in real deep waters.

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure how you can be so certain. He had his chance vs a fading Froch and didn't get the job done. You have Bika and Abraham as champions. Bika is a hard and tough nut, plus, who knows what the landscape will be like in 6-12 months. AA is beatable, no doubt. Groves still has to prove he can survive when in real deep waters.

true,nothing is certain,groves had his chance and nearly took it,he wasn't outboxed or outclassed in that fight. he is a very skillful boxer,fast hands,has power. he's 25 yrs old,i said he will be a champion one day,could be a year,3 years,5 years from now. but he is good enough to fight at world level. wouldn't say froch is fading fast,still think he has a few big fights left in him. and if he is fading fast and groves beats him this time then he'll be a world champion,but nothing is certain :-)

true,nothing is certain,groves had his chance and nearly took it,he wasn't outboxed or outclassed in that fight. he is a very skillful boxer,fast hands,has power. he's 25 yrs old,i said he will be a champion one day,could be a year,3 years,5 years from now. but he is good enough to fight at world level. wouldn't say froch is fading fast,still think he has a few big fights left in him. and if he is fading fast and groves beats him this time then he'll be a world champion,but nothing is certain :-)

Thing is, one fight can ruin a boxer. Did the first fight take a lot out of Groves? Maybe not, as he is taking the second fight and relishing it. And, what about this fight? If it's a bruiser, and Groves loses again?

• Advertisement

Thing is, one fight can ruin a boxer. Did the first fight take a lot out of Groves? Maybe not, as he is taking the second fight and relishing it. And, what about this fight? If it's a bruiser, and Groves loses again?

think groves is young enough and cocky enough to come back from another defeat to froch,might take him a while to get over it but he is up against a great world champion after all and he doesn't believe he shouldve lost the first fight. think if it goes beyond 6 rounds it will turn into a proper battle. don't think the fight will start of like the last so groves should have more in the tank for later rounds but id still fancy froch if it goes beyond 6. if froch loses a bruiser it'll be harder for him to come back,where would he go after that. but defo think groves would be able to come back if he loses again, he's young,very good boxer and he'll want to be world champion so he'll pick himself up and after a few more wins he'd be back in title contention. but, C'mon froch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Probably too early to say but roughly what time do you expect the ring walks at?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Probably too early to say but roughly what time do you expect the ring walks at?

Between 2300-2315 hrs I would say!

That_Guy wrote: »

something similar to the last one im guessing,that was about 10 o'clock wasn't it. 80,000 people so they'll have to have everyone out of the stadium on onto trains,busses cars by a certain time. 11:30 prob be last train

something similar to the last one im guessing,that was about 10 o'clock wasn't it. 80,000 people so they'll have to have everyone out of the stadium on onto trains,busses cars by a certain time. 11:30 prob be last train

Fight stared last time at 2250 hrs.

Fight stared last time at 2250 hrs.

sound,wasn't sure. think it'll be earlier this time though due to the London transport system. but not sure,must suss it out,im sure there's info up somewhere about what time they have to clear the stadium at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Think I heard 22.30 start time off Hearn but the running will be released next week, so we will see the exact time of the ring walks.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Think I heard 22.30 start time off Hearn but the running will be released next week, so we will see the exact time of the ring walks.

yeah had a quick scout on the net there,few unofficial posts about a 10:30 walk out,reckon it'll be in or around that time anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Groves wins this comfortably on points this time around.

I see no other outcome. He won't foolishly spend as much time in the pocket this time.

He gave Froch fits the last time before he got sloppy and over confident.

He will box his way to a unanimous decision this time.

Froch did not want this fight at all but being a fighting champion fair play, he took it rather than lose one of his titles.

• Advertisement

i think if groves wins it'll be within 6 rounds by stoppage, i fancy froch if it goes beyond 6 and cant see it going 12 rounds. Froch wont fight the same either, he'll be more cautious early on, might be a little cagey for a couple of rounds but eventually they'll go at each other. dont think it'll be comfortable for either fighter,both will be made work really hard in there, both will take big shots. fascinating fight really, theres so many ways it could start and so many twists and turns throughout the fight. groves isnt as calm as he was in the 1st fight build up, watched him on ringside and saw a clip of The Gloves are Off and he's trying to wind froch up but its not working this time. there's more pressure,more expectation and more known about groves now, he's not the underdog anymore, could be getting to him abit

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

I think Groves is the type of fighter that Froch really struggles with. He has really fast hands and Froch just cant cope with it. I hope Froch can come up with something to stop Groves.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

I think Groves is the type of fighter that Froch really struggles with. He has really fast hands and Froch just cant cope with it. I hope Froch can come up with something to stop Groves.

agree, froch defo finds it hard against skillful quick fighters. hs style suits boxers that can move around the ring,quick,feet,quick hands,avoiding froch big shots and landing their own and moving off. in saying all that hes only been beaten really well by andre ward, the kessler loss was close. i'd love to see froch go out as a champion,proper warrior, not many boxer around today would do what he has done, fighting champion after champion,never ducked a fight, deserves alot of respect

and also he was behind against jermain taylor but KO'd him in the 12th, and took a lot of punishment for 6 rounds against groves. froch granite chin and will to win gets him through a lot of fights. he looked bingoed when groves knocked him down in the first, very few people get up from those sort of shots

and also he was behind against jermain taylor but KO'd him in the 12th, and took a lot of punishment for 6 rounds against groves. froch granite chin and will to win gets him through a lot of fights. he looked bingoed when groves knocked him down in the first, very few people get up from those sort of shots

His saving grace with that shot was that it caught him sort of square on. His face absorbed more of it. Had it been a little more to either side of the face then he may have been out cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

Think the fight will either be another [although defintive] late stoppage for Froch or else Groves is going to get him early Rds 1-3. George just needs to learn from the last night not too get too confident when he has success, Let Froch walk onto the punches himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Speed kills. I expect Groves to win on points easily.Froch's only hope is a KO.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Speed kills. I expect Groves to win on points easily.Froch's only hope is a KO.

I think Groves wins a boxing match all night long. Not clear, but wins. He's faster and quicker and a better boxer. However, boxing doesn't always work like this. That's why it is George's fight to lose.

If he has strengthened a bit and improved his stamina a bit since November last then his chances are really good. Not sure about the chin for a one shot connection. Heavy one shot connection. His only saving grace is that Froch doesn't have that wow one shot speed/power combination. He's more a steady and hurtful and clubbing hitter.

I am going with Groves in this match. I just cannot decide on how!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am going for Groves by late stoppage. Groves and his trainer will have felt that his conditioning wasn't as good as it could have been in the first fight, so we will see an improvement there.
    Froch will be cagey in the rematch, as he was against Abraham, but, unlike in that fight, i expect he'll be forced to commit in the later rounds due to being well behind on points, then i think he'll be susceptible to being ko'd having weathered a lot of punishment early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Groves' early dominance starting to fade?
    Any idea what the crowd were looking the other way for there!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Froch looks like he is lost in the Froch/Groves face off on Sky Sports 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

obezyana wrote: »
    Froch looks like he is lost in the Froch/Groves face off on Sky Sports 1.

Just watched it there and it is the 1st time I thought Froch has actually has a psychological advantage in a face off with Groves. Groves looked like a lost little child at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Froch is doing alot better in the pre-fight talk. But i don't think it really matters when it comes to the fight tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Froch is my bet, but I usually loose when I bet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Looking forward to this now, not long to go. I am still sitting on the side of, if Groves cant get him out in the first 6 rounds I think he will tire and ultimately hit the deck, not sure Groves has the control to outbox Froch for the full match without getting dragged into a fight, Froch will just keep coming forward, keep throwing punches and its clear how difficult it is to get the guy out of there

Groves is actually the better boxer, and he is obviously a lot faster, but I am not convinced by his stamina or intelligence in the ring as of right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I thought Froch wiped the floor with him in the face-off. Back to the old Carl. Groves just staring at Froch with his mouth open and not saying anything made him look like a complete simpleton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Watched about 30 seconds of that face off before I turned it off. Boring rubbish, the usual fodder for hooligans. Will watch the fight but this talk of biggest fight in English history etc is sickening and embarrassing and the media promotion is stale

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

These face offs are usually a pile of ****e, and last night was no different. Groves is not witty, or eloquent, and came across as a tool. The handshake bit was cringe. Also having Johnny Nelson as mediator was never going to add to proceedings.

Fair play to Sky for getting Paulie Malignaggi as guest commentator though. He does a great job for Showtime and has won some awards. I just hope that idiot Jim Watt doesn't keep interrupting, and lets him talk

I don't like Froch at all. Personally I think he comes across as a fool he is a good fighter tho and I think he will beat Groves I hope he doesn't but I think it will go the distance with Froch to win the majority of rounds.

Regarding the face off I think Groves came across well from the start then kinda tried to be to smart towards Froch which played into Frochs hands.

Ha maybe it was Johnny Nelson that looked lost.

I don't like Froch at all. Personally I think he comes across as a fool he is a good fighter tho and I think he will beat Groves I hope he doesn't but I think it will go the distance with Froch to win the majority of rounds.

Regarding the face off I think Groves came across well from the start then kinda tried to be to smart towards Froch which played into Frochs hands.

Ha maybe it was Johnny Nelson that looked lost.

I have heard a couple of people saying that they think Froch wins on points. Not saying he can't, but I would have to favour Groves over the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 3 Fedfrenchopen

Henno30 wrote: »
    I thought Froch wiped the floor with him in the face-off. Back to the old Carl. Groves just staring at Froch with his mouth open and not saying anything made him look like a complete simpleton.

I think that was cancelled out by Froch trying to make fun of Groves for mispronouncing a word, five year old stuff, surreal.

I have heard a couple of people saying that they think Froch wins on points. Not saying he can't, but I would have to favour Groves over the distance.

I think Groves will come out all guns blazing and if it goes the distance he will feel it more than Froch will and Froch is known for coming on strong in the later rounds.

I think Groves will come out all guns blazing and if it goes the distance he will feel it more than Froch will and Froch is known for coming on strong in the later rounds.

I have no issue with Froch coming on strong in the final rds, but rd for rd he needs to win 7-5. I think this is going to be very tough for him. A late stoppage would be his best bet. If George is at all fresh and standing and working then he can still win late rds. He's faster and a better boxer. Froch needs to break George's rhythm, and he needs to make this a close quarters rough and tumble fight. To do this he may have to walk through serious leather.

I have no issue with Froch coming on strong in the final rds, but rd for rd he needs to win 7-5. I think this is going to be very tough for him. A late stoppage would be his best bet. If George is at all fresh and standing and working then he can still win late rds. He's faster and a better boxer. Froch needs to break George's rhythm, and he needs to make this a close quarters rough and tumble fight. To do this he may have to walk through serious leather.

Froch could come out and try to get his jab going very early on. Its an obvious tactic, which Froch is good at but since he hurt Groves last time, he could use the tactics he used against Bute that were nasty (and ruined his career).

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Froch could come out and try to get his jab going very early on. Its an obvious tactic, which Froch is good at but since he hurt Groves last time, he could use the tactics he used against Bute that were nasty (and ruined his career).

What tactics were they?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

What tactics were they?

Stayed in close enough to prevent Bute from getting the jab going, then unloading attacking with combo's once he knew he could hurt Bute. He knows he can hurt Groves.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

What tactics were they?

Come out swinging and keep at it!!

Stayed in close enough to prevent Bute from getting the jab going, then unloading attacking with combo's once he knew he could hurt Bute. He knows he can hurt Groves.

Different styles. Bute wasn't unloading leather. He was a bit of a let down. George was, and will be unloading fast and heavy shots. Not that easy to walk through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wonder if Groves did'nt land that huge punch in the first how different that fight may have been, its hard to tell because Carl fought the next 6 rounds basically in survival mode,
    Carl started really poorly he looked either nervous or not bothered and that big shot ment he never got a chance to settle and get any thing going , i also think because he totally dismissed Groves before the fight, he totally panicked after he was dropped and didn't box tactically and just tried to ko Groves with every shot,
    It was almost like a cup football match where the under dog goes 1 nil up and the favoured them panic because its just not suppose to happen, scrap a draw at the end but in the replay are way more prepared and focused and get the job done as they where first expected to ,

• Advertisement

Too much is being made of Froch not taking George seriously. Look at Froch. He was still the same fighter. Plodding along, slow of hand and foot, trying hard and having some success. His chin and stamina and toughness was still as it always was. That is the recipe for Carl's success. Not his speed, punch delivery, or fast feet and skills. Had Froch been gassed out of it after 5-6 rds I could get behind this theory that he didn't take George seriously.

Don't expect much different this time around. He got nailed hard by a shot, a shot that was more exaggerated because Froch was a southpaw when he got nailed with it. His feet crossed and his structure not as solid as usual, resulting in him being dropped heavy.

Advertisement