Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Heading into forbidden fruit tomorrow and want to catch the fight aswell, what places in town will be showing it and what time are we expecting the ring walk? 10:30ish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Press the Box Office button on your Sky Remote. Go to Sports. You can order it there for €21.95

i dont have sky, could i buy online and hook up with a hdmi cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Can you get this fight with UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Tilikum wrote: »
    Can you get this fight with UPC?

Yes. I got it in earlier on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Yes. I got it in earlier on today.

How much was it?

Tilikum wrote: »
    How much was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

You sure ? UPC website says €24.95

You sure ? UPC website says €24.95

Sorry you're right, I had someone ring in for me, I just read the 21.95 off the PPV channel but now I see it again thats for Sky not UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Gonna be funny when its over after 2 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

walshb wrote: »
    If Groves' stamina is very good then he has a great chance. They have been replaying the first fight. Groves looked really gassy from rd 5 onwards. Worrying. Sure, he put a lot in, but he was blowing hard and looked very tired. Watching the training camps it seems that Groves is taking the fitness/stamina issue very seriously. Either he improves the stamina or he boxes a little more conservatively and a little less gung ho to conserve the stamina.

Good post. I'm starting to think most people are overestimating Groves' ability at this point. His stamina is definitely a factor, but so is his lack of an inside game, his weak defence, and his poor control of distance.

People are focusing a lot on rounds like the 6th in the first fight where he lit Froch up in the exchanges. But it's rounds like the 7th he really needs. Low number of exchanges, but he lands the stand out punch in most of them. Like I've said before on this thread, he can pour it on Froch early and look to take him out. But what if that doesn't work?

From when the tide started to turn in the last fight, a number of things were made fairly clear. Groves doesn't jab enough to keep Froch at a safe distance. He's hittable from the outside even with Carl's ridiculously wide shots. And he doesn't turn Froch enough when Froch comes charging in.

If he can't catch Froch coming in and then smother him immediately, then he need to get under his shots, step around, and turn him. Otherwise he's just going to be standing there with his gloves up while Froch tees off. And that's only going to lead to one conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Froch looked very tired too in the 8th & 9th rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Carl's iron will and punch resistance has seen him exceed at world level , where others with greater talent have faltered. However, i think Groves has his number. Groves will box economically this time. He was naive last time, by trying to get Carl out of there early, which caused him to expend huge amounts of energy. Groves is a smart man- and so is Fitzpatrick, they will have seen what others here have seen and worked on those flaws. This fight will be similar to the Taylor v Froch fight, Groves outboxing Carl, but crucially unlike Taylor, i think Groves' stamina will not let him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I think Groves will win this fight tonight. looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Henno30 wrote: »
    Good post. I'm starting to think most people are overestimating Groves' ability at this point. His stamina is definitely a factor, but so is his lack of an inside game, his weak defence, and his poor control of distance.

I would tend to agree. Even though I have a sneaky bet on a rd 3 KO win for Groves. That's more to do with him landing one perfect shot.

I still think it's Groves' fight to lose. He should be identical to fight 1 with just less intensity and eagerness to throw heavy leather. This should help his energy reserves.

For two world class boxers neither has any quality on the inside. Grab and clinch is the best they have, with the odd rabbit punch. It's why the likes of Ward beats them all day.

Both men were tiring in fight 1. George more so. I would be very surprised to see Froch win a decision. I have a feeling it may get very ropey for Groves as it enters the later rds if his stamina and tactics aren't spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ADMIN: Check weights this morning sees Froch at 176.2 and Groves almost a pound lighter at 175.4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Not a clue as to how the fight will go, it's hard to call tbh, if groves is smart he can win , i just hope it's a clear result, id love to see groves win, I'm not a froch fan to say the least,,boxers give him trouble so ill slightly favour groves on points, anything other than the perfect game plan and froch might wear him down ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

walshb wrote: »
    ADMIN: Check weights this morning sees Froch at 176.2 and Groves almost a pound lighter at 175.4.
    He's definentley going to for the most part going to fight more similar to the Degale fight in 2011.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He's definentley going to for the most part going to fight more similar to the Degale fight in 2011.

If he does adopt those tactics, which he should if hes smart, he'll have an easier time out boxing Froch than he did DeGale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

MD1990 wrote: »

He has too. Imo looking back on it knocking froch so early cost him the fight. He prob changed tactics. It was still a stupid stopage all the same. We can all guess and give opinions but how many of us as certain enough in this fight to put the house or the wife on it 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hey all, just wondering if i plug my phone line into my sky box to order the fight now, can i then plug it out of the skybox now and will the fight still come on at 6?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is the fight gonna be starting around 10 tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sky are doing an excellent job hyping up the fight.

Its on all day on Sky Sports News.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

BOXING IRELAND'S LEONARD GUNNING - TALKS CARL FROCH v GEORGE GROVES 2 @ WEMBLEY: http://t.co/gRHLbR9Fs3

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

Froch to win, last enjoyable thing Il watch before the leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Not long now till the show kicks off. Hopefully, we get a couple of good undercard fights to get us warmed up for Main Event!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Supup

Groves in 3 for me. I'm setting it up online as I type...;)

Though I am enjoying the Skysports News build up...

Paddy Fitzpatrick gave a good interview. Where in Ireland is he from..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

What time will the main event be on approximately

D.Q wrote: »
    What time will the main event be on approximately

Walk ons scheduled for 9.45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What time does the undercard start at?

• Advertisement

Now! 6.30...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Estimated fight times tonight.. 6.30 Joshua v Legg 7pm McDonnell v Rachawat 8pm Mitchell v Maduma 9pm Degale v Gonzales 10pm Froch v Groves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Mitchell didnt make the weight for this so is this only on with the agreement of maduma?

Maduma is more than holding his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Is is free to air at the moment? Not sure if I've ordered it properly.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Is is free to air at the moment? Not sure if I've ordered it properly.

Not too sure to be honest.

Good finish to the fight by Mitchell.

I would love to see Degale land on his arse. :D

****ing ads would drive ya mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Seen on twitter sky have fight on for free on channel 872

Major mix up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Anyone got a good stream?

DeGale would give ya ire.

Seen on twitter sky have fight on for free on channel 872

Major mix up

All the undercard is free, to try make you buy the PPV for the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Se1251an

Goddamn you Fermanaghman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Id love to see Ward in with that twat DeGale he would fustigate him.

The lads look awkward standing up giving their expert views. Some one get them a sofa or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 St890

Chris Eubank has been assimilated!

Resistance is futile.

Not long to go now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hoping the fight lives up to the hype from the first fight.

Hope Groves batters him

Advertisement