Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

amkin25 wrote: »
    One of the surest bets i said,obviously in betting nothing is 100% sure or then it wouldn't be betting,but this was a solid bet,it was only when i was on a similiar thread a few days back,and seen people talking about betting on groves that i realized froch wasn't as short as i thought he would be.
    I thought he would be something like 1-5 for the win to be honest,not 4-6 and 5-4 by knockout great value considering the way the first fight panned out for people that payed attention,obviously officer999 did as he was spot on.

Most on here though Froch would stop him.... myself included. I just thought it would take a round or two more than it did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 St890

The stats back up what I saw, Groves landed more punches and had a higher connect ratio.

People give Froch far too much credit for swinging multiple punches that hit groves arms.

http ://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=11013495&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FoPQuWglu7I%22%7D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

FTA69 wrote: »
    Groves was slightly ahead on the cards going into the eighth, without sounding like a dick, anyone who says Froch was "dominating" the fight hasn't a bloody clue.

Don't buy into that at all. At no stage during the fight did I get the sense that Groves was going to win the fight. Always felt Froch was comfortable.

I called Froch pre fight so maybe confirmation bias but to say people who thought Froch was ahead and dominating are clueless is arrogant nonsense. It's sport peoples opinions differ.

amkin25 wrote: »
    Personally i wouldn't be mad to see froch fight again,he should retire after this fight,his style isn't worth paying to watch and can't see him beating ward,but money talks and sky could sell a big pay per view versus ward so probably will happen.

Chavez? GGG at super?

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Chavez? GGG at super?

Golovkin would punish Froch badly. You can't make the mistakes he does against a guy like Golovkin.

St890 wrote: »
    Golovkin would punish Froch badly. You can't make the mistakes he does against a guy like Golovkin.

Agree and maybe it's a dumb fight for Froch to take as GGG has everything to gain but it's still a fight I'd pay to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

U think your on the money. I think u guessed right. 😃 froch has to want to fight ward again. And lose

He won't want any of Ward again, fight won't sell and he would lose, he doesn't have to fight DeGale next even though he is the mandatory, I can see a fight with Chavez for the money and the confidence he will have in beating him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

On paper Golovkin should have Froch out of there in 6 rounds... GGG has more power and talent than Groves ever will and has a considerably better defence and chin to boot as well. he won't make the mistakes Groves made in the two fights and will punish Froch when he slips up. But Boxing is a funny sport, anything can happen. I cannot see Froch taking on the fight though, he has admitted it would be a bad move for him fighting GGG and would duck him if at all possible.

Bringing Ward to England would be a massive fight for Boxing. I doubt S.O.G. would travel though... It would be a boring fight too and Froch knows he will never beat Ward. He got beaten easily by a guy who had one hand during the fight. I think a fight with Chavez Jr. would be a smart move. Big payday and he has a decent chance of winning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poor fight overall. Groves juts didn't seem to want to engage. He lacked a will and desire to take the fight. Content to be competitive in every rd and nothing more. Never thought one shot would win it for Froch.

• Advertisement

Didn't get to see the post fight action. Did Froch and Groves speak? Make up or get on? Interviews after, what was said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

walshb wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the post fight action. Did Froch and Groves speak? Make up or get on? Interviews after, what was said?
    Kissed made up, best of buds,there was even a marriage proposal
    All good!
    Nice to see both guys compliment each other and not talking sh*t.
    Froch said it was a fairly even fight, the knockout punch being the difference between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Im not surprised Groves started slow, he needed to conserve energy for the later rounds and he also did the right thing in not engaging Froch.

The fight was very close, you could of had it level or you could of had Groves or Carl winning by a round, depending on how you were looking at it, but nobody was dominating it was very close.

Groves was coming on strong as the fight went on, he was winning the eight round until Froch tagged him, I was shocked how it ended, Froch is not known for one punch power knockouts and I didn't expect him to win like that.

Don't think Froch will fight Ward again, no point really. If he does fight DeGale I think Froch will stop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Poor fight overall. Groves juts didn't seem to want to engage. He lacked a will and desire to take the fight. Content to be competitive in every rd and nothing more. Never thought one shot would win it for Froch.
    Yeah the KO seems to have people saying it was a great fight. I think they forget the crowd was booing half way through as it was a poor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Groves' weaknesses were just exposed really. Poor enough stamina and a bad defence. Froch just started bull rushing him as the fight entered the middle rounds and he couldn't handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Everyone talking about Froch's next move (3G or Chavez etc) but where does Groves go from here?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Everyone talking about Froch's next move (3G or Chavez etc) but where does Groves go from here?

Maybe back for the British title, or European title ?

Needs a bit more experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any word on how the judges were scoring it prior to the knockout?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Paully D wrote: »
    Any word on how the judges were scoring it prior to the knockout?

Two had Froch winning and one had Groves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Jim Watt's commentary was nothing short of disgraceful last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Maybe back for the British title, or European title ?

Needs a bit more experience

I don't think so, not British title anyway. What's the point in fighting a journeyman Paul Smith? He's proven himself already at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

risteard7 wrote: »
    I don't think so, not British title anyway. What's the point in fighting a journeyman Paul Smith? He's proven himself already at that level.

He destroyed Paul Smith already. Knocked him out in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

He signed for a new promoter before the fight last night so it will be an interesting road ahead. He won't be going back to British level for sure, maybe a fight against someone like Robert Stiegletz. His new promoter is in charge of Abraham & Kessler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    I thought his defense was fairly solid until the KO.

As I've stated here already, there are a large number of posters on forums (fora?) now who think if a boxer doesn't have a defense as good as Mayweather's (which currently very few have, unsurprisingly), they have a "bad" of "weak" defense when, in reality, there's a whole lot of grey between the black and the white.

I agree with you, Groves doesn't have a bad defense and it was quite solid last night. The KO came when he decided to counter Froch's left hook with one of his own, but he misread the situation and couldn't avoid the followup right which because it was thrown straight landed before his hook did. It was a miscalculation, nothing to do with defense.

Scorecards apparently at the stoppage:

67-66 Froch
    67-66 Froch
    68-65 Groves

I had it 68-65 Groves as well. There were debatable rounds though which could have gone either way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Scorecards apparently at the stoppage:

67-66 Froch
    67-66 Froch
    68-65 Groves

I had it 68-65 Groves as well. There were debatable rounds though which could have gone either way though.

I would have has it 67-66 a Froch but there were at least 3 rounds that you could make a case either way. Glad it didn't go to judges score cards

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I would have has it 67-66 a Froch but there were at least 3 rounds that you could make a case either way. Glad it didn't go to judges score cards

Yeah definitely...would have been very controversial whatever way the decision would have went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah definitely...would have been very controversial whatever way the decision would have went.

No it wouldn't because Groves would have destroyed him over the next 4 rounds...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

blade1 wrote: »
    No it wouldn't because Groves would have destroyed him over the next 4 rounds...:pac:

There was only going to be one winner once froth could land cleanly on groves and that was going to happen more and more as the rounds went on.
    Groves was flailing late against degale also, to me he fragile at this level.
    The whole fight from the start went wrong for him, he couldn't do what he wanted like the last time as Frisch was sharper and fitter this time and used his jab which groves did not like one bit, in fact I was surprised how easy it was for frock to control him from the start,
    Having said that I watched the first fight over before the fight and from the fifth in the first fight groves was loath to engage through tiredness or whatever and could see no reason for things to be different this time unless Frisch got old overnight.

I had groves down for round 7 and was winning round 8 on my card too until the punch...you never know what would have happened

• Advertisement

section4 wrote: »
    There was only going to be one winner once froth could land cleanly on groves and that was going to happen more and more as the rounds went on.
    Groves was flailing late against degale also, to me he fragile at this level.
    The whole fight from the start went wrong for him, he couldn't do what he wanted like the last time as Frisch was sharper and fitter this time and used his jab which groves did not like one bit, in fact I was surprised how easy it was for frock to control him from the start,
    Having said that I watched the first fight over before the fight and from the fifth in the first fight groves was loath to engage through tiredness or whatever and could see no reason for things to be different this time unless Frisch got old overnight.

If he controlled him why did he land fewer punches and have a smaller connect ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

The number of punches landed does not always the most important factor, it's the quality, as the knockout showed.
    The fact is froch was happy the way the fight progressed, his plan did not neccesarrily include landing more punches more making sure groves did not catch him as early and as often as the first fight and he achieved that, knowing that as the fight progressed he would corner groves
    Who could not trade with froch
    As he said after the fight, he had a plan and it worked perfectly.
    Groves really did very little and only engaged later because frock started to rush him into exchanges which torch knew he would win.
    Groves said he would stop him in three with a left hook, if he controlled the fight this should have happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Solar Flare

section4 wrote: »
    The number of punches landed does not always the most important factor, it's the quality, as the knockout showed.
    The fact is froch was happy the way the fight progressed, his plan did not neccesarrily include landing more punches more making sure groves did not catch him as early and as often as the first fight and he achieved that, knowing that as the fight progressed he would corner groves
    Who could not trade with froch
    As he said after the fight, he had a plan and it worked perfectly.
    Groves really did very little and only engaged later because frock started to rush him into exchanges which torch knew he would win.
    Groves said he would stop him in three with a left hook, if he controlled the fight this should have happened.

Groves hit Froch with the much better punches, until the knockout anyway. Did you not see round 7, Groves hit Froch with a few strong left hooks and staggered Froch. Groves wad the one doing the damage and it looked to be getting worse for Froch as the fight wore on. You just have to look at Froch's face compared to Groves after the fight.

I saw no real improvement in either fighter. Froch was still his awkward plodding self. George this time was just not near as intense. He went the complete opposite. And he paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

This was my card anyway;

G G F G F F G

Basically, had Groves 4-3 going into the eighth.

I still stand by my sentiment that people saying Froch was "dominating" the fight haven't a clue. The rounds were close and lacked intensity but in my view Groves outlanded Froch with less punches being thrown by him. Froch rushed him a few times but little or nothing came of it. It certainly isn't the type of stuff I'd expect from a "dominant" performance.

Also, as usual, the Sky commentators were talking out of their hoop. Wyatt is shocking like. Total nonsense from start to finish. If it wasn't the fact it was my buddy's gaff I'd have turned the sound off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Have to say I thought Sky commentary was awful the other night. Even post fight, Glen McCrory "Froch bossed the first round" Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

I listened to radio commentary on BBC 5-live. Steve Bunce said Groves had been slowing down in the three rounds before the KO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I saw no real improvement in either fighter. Froch was still his awkward plodding self. George this time was just not near as intense. He went the complete opposite. And he paid for it.

Being too intense cost him the first time, he got too tired later on.

I thought he was coming into it more later on, he was doing very well in the eight and was looking strong until he got caught.

marbless wrote: »
    I listened to radio commentary on BBC 5-live. Steve Bunce said Groves had been slowing down in the three rounds before the KO.

Yet Groves was very active in round 7, winning it easily and even was doing very well in round 8 before that punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Looked like Groves was in a good position to win the fight on points. Then bang a right hand finished the fight

What would people think of a Froch v Bika next? I know Carl said post-fight that he wants a Vegas night but isnt Bika WBC Champ? that would be a good scrap imo

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

I just seen there that Andre Dirrell was at the fight on Saturday with his brother Anthony...what ever the hell happened to that guy? His brother is doing decent things even got a title shot against Bika a while back...

But Andre looked to be booming for good things...some of ye might remember he was robbed of a decision victory over Froch in the Super 6... I heard the guy has series mental issues and pulled a Pavlik with the drug/drink problems after he started to fade out of the limelight. He also isn't being helped by having 50 Cent in charge of him but it was a shame to see him lose interest.

With regards to Bika it would be a good fight for Froch but I doubt he'd take it if he can get Chavez or even Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

well i haven't watched it back as i seen it in the pub but i thought froch was well up on the scorecards. i was surprised to see how the cards were when he knocked him out. it seemed like groves held back a bit in the early rounds so he wouldn't run out of steam like the last time in the later rounds. Even without the knockout i think froch would have won the fight, was surprised groves didnt use his right hand more. never got off the power punches like the first fight. its a pity cause i wanted george to win. i seen degale looking for his chance next...personally i think froch would take degale apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

I reckon Froch will head to Vegas to fight Chavez - if he wins that then he'll retire.

Groves will fight DeGale - potential to be a big money fight due to the bad blood between them. It may not be Groves' next fight but it'll happen within 18 months.

Kessler may fight De Gale before hand.

hsbc wrote: »
    I reckon Froch will head to Vegas to fight Chavez - if he wins that then he'll retire.

Groves will fight DeGale - potential to be a big money fight due to the bad blood between them. It may not be Groves' next fight but it'll happen within 18 months.

Kessler may fight De Gale before hand.

Kessler v Groves would be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/latest/feature/exclusive-carl-froch-interview-i-have-sent-horrible-george-groves-back-down-the-hole-he-crawled-out-of
    But I'm not building any of my future or any of my past around George Groves now. He's now been sent back to the hole he crawled out of, as far as I'm concerned. He came out his hole and he just abused me, he's been horrible, and I feel no love or hate nor am I happy or sad for him,

Poor show from Froch in my opinion. Fair play to him for winning the fight and all but he was hardly blameless in some of the sh*t that got thrown around the place in the build-up.

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/latest/feature/exclusive-carl-froch-interview-i-have-sent-horrible-george-groves-back-down-the-hole-he-crawled-out-of

Poor show from Froch in my opinion. Fair play to him for winning the fight and all but he was hardly blameless in some of the sh*t that got thrown around the place in the build-up.

I dont get why people are on Froch's back about Groves! Groves was a complete d!ck coming up to both fights.

Overall George was more the dick in build up to fight 2. Carl tried that bit more to be cooler. Groves was just a bit too petulant. Not sure where Froch goes from here. I don't think he beats DeGale unless he gets another one punch dream shot in. Probably best to make a heap of cash in a rubber match against a past peak Kessler.

Personally I dont want to see another Froch v Kessler...or Froch v DeGale...

I'd love him to go after Bika, getthe WBC then go out on top! I don't see him beating 3G or Chavez Jnr in Vegas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Personally I dont want to see another Froch v Kessler...or Froch v DeGale...

I'd love him to go after Bika, getthe WBC then go out on top! I don't see him beating 3G or Chavez Jnr in Vegas

Wouldn't mind DeGale. Don't want Kessler III

• Advertisement
Advertisement