Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco own brand printer ink

Options
  • 23-07-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

This morning I purchased Tesco own brand ink for my Dell printer. Before I made the purchase I made absolutely sure that the cartridge was compatible with my printer. When I got home, low and behold, the printer displayed an error message that the cartridge was incompatible. The cartridge was physically exactly the same as the Dell cartridge I took out. Is this a once off, or has anyone else encountered this problem? (I have an Lexmark printer also, and the Tesco ink for it is €14 cheaper than Lexmark's, but I really don't want to go through this rigmarole again).

An aside to this is the customer "service" I received in Tesco. I made the purchase at a self service kiosk and stupidly left the receipt behind me. When I returned to Tesco I was told by the electronics manager that he could do not exchange the ink without the receipt. I know that by law he was not obliged to, but given the fact it was clearly a Tesco product and faulty, he could have exchanged the ink as a gesture of goodwill. I ended up going back up to the self service kiosk and rummaging in the bin for the receipt. Luckily, I found it and went back up to him and asked for a refund, which he gave me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It happens with all non original carriages, they should give you an exchange as its a Tesco pro duct. Its written on the packaging....the Tesco promise.

Go back in and tell them this our call customer service who will call the store and sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

dukedalton wrote: »
    This morning I purchased Tesco own brand ink for my Dell printer. Before I made the purchase I made absolutely sure that the cartridge was compatible with my printer. When I got home, low and behold, the printer displayed an error message that the cartridge was incompatible. The cartridge was physically exactly the same as the Dell cartridge I took out. Is this a once off, or has anyone else encountered this problem? (I have an Lexmark printer also, and the Tesco ink for it is €14 cheaper than Lexmark's, but I really don't want to go through this rigmarole again).

I'm not sure, but it's possible that Tesco may have some caveat stating that they do not guarantee that the generic part will work to the same standard as an OEM part.
    I was told by the electronics manager that he could do not exchange the ink without the receipt. I know that by law he was not obliged to, but given the fact it was clearly a Tesco product and faulty, he could have exchanged the ink as a gesture of goodwill.

IMO he was a bit overly strict with that one, but it is possible that you could have stolen it and were attempting to return it for cash. He was right to look for a receipt. Alternatively a clubcard statement or credit/debit card statement would support your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

dudara wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but it's possible that Tesco may have some caveat stating that they do not guarantee that the generic part will work to the same standard as an OEM part.

IMO he was a bit overly strict with that one, but it is possible that you could have stolen it and were attempting to return it for cash. He was right to look for a receipt. Alternatively a clubcard statement or credit/debit card statement would support your position.

Not working to the same standard (the ink not being of the same quality, for example) might be expected- you get what you pay for, after all- but for it not to work at all would be a pretty huge caveat.

As regards his refusal to do anything without a receipt I initially asked for an exchange, not a refund, so I think he was being unnecessarily awkward. I can't help but feel if I had been a middle aged woman he would have been more accommodating. Perhaps it being the middle of the day and me dressed in shorts and a t shirt didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dell of all companies are notorious for keying their products so that only Dell stuff will work in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes afaik, the Dell printer cartridges are based on lexmark and there's a 'chip' that must be recognised by the printer for it to work. I've seen a few come back, same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

If it's Tesco branded then they have to deal with it, if he refuses ask him why he requires a receipt. If the answer is theft ask him if he's accusing you of having stolen it. If so, ask for the guards to be called, if not then ask him again to deal with it as it's a Tesco branded product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

As an aside to this has anyone brought back used ink cartridges to Tesco in return for points?

I have asked in a few stores around town and nobody seems to know anything about it.

Although it is here on their website:

http://www.tesco.ie/crreview08/climate-env/environment-environment.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

You get an special envelope at the customer service desk and post back your old mobile phone/Inkjet cart, and then the points are credited to your account. The staff in the shops don't take the cartridge directly from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had this very problem when I bought Tesco ink for my Canon printer.
    Made sure it had the same corresponding codes and it also looked the same and fitted into the printer perfectly, but I got an error message too.
    Took it back to Tesco and explained the problem and they gave me a refund no problem.

I think printer companies are wising up to people getting refills and have probably put certain chips on cartridges to make sure you're buying originals only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Was down at the Tescos in Jervis and Parnell today and they had no envelopes. Anyone know which stores carry them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement