Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea where to get soil for pineapple?

• 23-07-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Does anyone know where to find soils for pineapple in Dublin city centre please? Is normal sandy soil okay for pineapple? I am thinking of digging some from a park or somewhere (joking). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I use a mix of roughly

10 parts peat
    1 part agri sand
    3 parts perlite
    2 parts vermiculite.

A mulch of clay balls wouldnt do any harm either.

I have a tray under the pot and only water into there. The pot is on a table just inside a south facing double glazed window at window level. I feed it ready made organic liquid feed with a drop of liquid seaweed.

Every time a pineapple is produced (every 2 years)i remove the leafy top and reroot and carry on regardless. They are small but very very sweet.

see here for photos
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81576252

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Linvia wrote: »
    I am thinking of digging some from a park or somewhere.
    why would you consider this a valid source of soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Linvia

Thanks for your detailed reply, Oldtree. Your little pineapple picture is very lovely. I planted a pineapple in March this year and now it has grown too big for the little bottle of water. BTW, where can I find agri sand, perlite and vermiculite please? Are they sold in plant shops? Many thanks for your reply.

why would you consider this a valid source of soil?

Well, 98% of the statement is joking. The remaining 2% is just about thinking, I can't dig soils from people's gardens I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can buy all sorts of compost mixtures and soil in garden centres.

• Advertisement

you can buy all sorts of compost mixtures and soil in garden centres.

Thanks, that's a very useful piece of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Linvia wrote: »
    Thanks for your detailed reply, Oldtree. Your little pineapple picture is very lovely. I planted a pineapple in March this year and now it has grown too big for the little bottle of water. BTW, where can I find agri sand, perlite and vermiculite please? Are they sold in plant shops? Many thanks for your reply.

yes most good horti centers should have them in bags for about €6 each for v and p.

the roots out of your pinapple would be very brittle at the moment so gentle with them and I usually use 4 sticks and string to support the plant and hold it in place for the first year. I would harvest at xmas, remove new top and use a glass of water (water not touching the top only near it) to encourage roots maby for 2 months then pot the plant on. you can see the new growth easily here. I cut off the top half centimeter of each leaf as it has a strong spike at kids eye level. The resulting pineapple may be small but it is the sweetist reward after 2 years.

263858.jpg

Advertisement