Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold sores and new-borns

Options
  • 23-07-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2287767/Two-month-old-baby-boy-killed-cold-sore-virus-loving-kiss-father.html

This is not an effort to scare-monger, but it seems to be something that very few people are aware of. A cold sore can kill a baby (under about 6 weeks). I know from personal experience, I lost a baby at 14 months nearly 40 years ago because he was infected with a cold sore virus when he was only a week old.

I specifically used the term cold sore in the title because if you mention herpes - which is what it is, herpes simplex - someone will come along and start talking about sexual irresponsibility and HIV, so people think, well I don't have any STDs so it doesn't apply to me. This is NOTHING to do with STDs, anyone can have a cold sore, and they can pass it on to a newborn with disastrous, indeed fatal, effect.

It is such an easy thing to ensure that your baby is not handled by someone with a cold sore, just be aware and avoid unnecessary risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

It is especially dangerous if the baby has eczema. My son had severe infant eczema and contracted eczema herpeticum from a babysitter who kissed him on the cheek when she had a small cold sore. In less than an hour his whole body was covered in what looked like weeping blisters.

I will never forget the sight of him hooked up on IV antibiotics and swathed in bandages like a mummy in the old Harcourt St. Children's hospital.

The explanation given by the consultant was that because it was his first exposure to the herpes simplex (cold sore) virus and with his immune system already compromised by severe eczema, it triggered an extreme reaction in him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So sorry for your loss looksee. :(

As a sufferer myself I'm very aware of this risk. I got one at 38 weeks pregnant last time and I was petrified I'd have another after the birth.

My husband seems resistant as does my son so far. Just hoping I can avoid it again.

Advertisement