Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Street

Options
  • 23-07-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Noticed over the past week, extensive work being done on the houses in New Street, last week they were tearing up the back of the houses and this morning removing the roof slates. Are they finally levelling the street.

If i remember correctly this was to be part of the new shopping centre before that deal fell through.

Anyone any info on what's being done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Noticed over the past week, extensive work being done on the houses in New Street, last week they were tearing up the back of the houses and this morning removing the roof slates. Are they finally levelling the street.

If i remember correctly this was to be part of the new shopping centre before that deal fell through.

Anyone any info on what's being done?

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2013/07/23/demolition-of-derelict-buildings-underway/

This explains it. Just clearing the site for now to tidy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Did anyone else notice that a couple of the houses still looked like they were lived in / maintained?

I wondered when the New Street project didn't go ahead did some of the original owners of the houses move back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

i doubt it, just squatters/junkies in them apparently. Better off knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Max Powers wrote: »

There was definitely someone living in one of them up to recently, the 2nd bottom one i think.
    Lights were on, front garden maintained and wheelie bins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

There was definitely someone living in one of them up to recently, the 2nd bottom one i think.
    Lights were on, front garden maintained and wheelie bins out.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Seemed way too well kept for junkies / squatters.

I wouldn't blame them if they had moved back in... they probably thought nothing was going to happen to the houses when the development wasn't going ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

There was an old lady living in one of the houses alright up until recently, felt sorry for her with the state of the neighbouring houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

hearny wrote: »
    There was an old lady living in one of the houses alright up until recently, felt sorry for her with the state of the neighbouring houses.

One of them had been burnt aswell they were starting to become an eye sore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

was the top one the birthplace of ignatius rice , ah well its history itself now flattened to the foundations .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Hoffmans wrote: »
    was the top one the birthplace of ignatius rice , ah well its history itself now flattened to the foundations .......

He was a kilkenny man born in callan, as a mount sion survivor this knowledge was bet into me at an early age:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Hoffmans wrote: »

That was the site of his first school it was not the actual building. Those house were built in the 60s or 70’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

they took the ignatius rice plaque down before the demolition began.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Max Powers wrote: »
    lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

there was only one woman still living in her house, the rest were pulled apart by junkies.

Squatters live a much cleaner and maintained life, theres actually a few people in waterford squatting their own houses because they couldnt keep up with mortgage payments.. essentially they are squats.. but they are homes.

Im delighted they are doing something with the place anyway.. it was a dive and really made that area feel a bit dodge in the evening.

Just a quick note on the junkies.. they are squatting a whole apartment building on oconnel street to the right hand side of the post office..

Advertisement