Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Or Bee Nests

Options
  • 23-07-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We have just noticed a lot of either wasps or bees (not sure which) going in under the the wooden section under the gutters....we cannot see where they are going or because of the wood if or where a nest might be....I have been watching on one of the threads to see if I could get any advice but none of it was of any help to me....this is the first time I have written a thread so I hope I am on the right track.....will the bees come into the house or will they stay in that particular section....any help would be really appreciated as I am terrified of wasps
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

We have just noticed a lot of either wasps or bees (not sure which) going in under the the wooden section under the gutters....we cannot see where they are going or because of the wood if or where a nest might be....I have been watching on one of the threads to see if I could get any advice but none of it was of any help to me....this is the first time I have written a thread so I hope I am on the right track.....will the bees come into the house or will they stay in that particular section....any help would be really appreciated as I am terrified of wasps
    :(

Sound more like wasps. Have you looked in your attic ? There will be a round wax ball somewhere about the size of a tennis ball - the wasps nest.Most people would advise a professional pest exterminator. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd have thought only bees would have a nest made of wax, wasps have nests made of cellulose, i.e. digested paper or wood, don't they?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Alun wrote: »
    I'd have thought only bees would have a nest made of wax, wasps have nests made of cellulose, i.e. digested paper, don't they?

Correct.:)

Wasps nest is a masterful piece of engineering, and is more like a globe made from tissue paper.

When I worked on my brothers roof many years ago. I removed a complete wasps nest, minus wasps of course. And not to alarm the op, the nest was about 900mm in diameter, and lite as a feather.

If its bees of course, then any beekeeper would be interested in taking them away for you. They would also advise you on treatment for a wasps nest

Kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, they're amazing things, especially if you get an old abandoned one and slice it through the middle ... true works of art, and as you say, as light as a feather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pollypiggy.com

Thanks for all the replies....will get a bee keeper to check it out.....do they come into the house or do they stay where they are?

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    Sound more like wasps. Have you looked in your attic ? There will be a round wax ball somewhere about the size of a tennis ball - the wasps nest.Most people would advise a professional pest exterminator. ?
    We looked in the attic but we were looking for bees or wasps....never thought to look for nest.....that is terrifying to think of them in the attic!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Alun wrote: »
    I'd have thought only bees would have a nest made of wax, wasps have nests made of cellulose, i.e. digested paper or wood, don't they?

:D I stand corrected. I had one in my shed last year and it was a dull brown colour - not smooth - a bit like cardboard.

We had a beekeeper out to look at the situation and he said it was wasps....he also said if they are not giving any trouble to leave them alone and in October they would be gone apart from the queen and then get rid of the nest.....so this is what we are going to do.....will be curious to see the nest as described by all the replies.....thanks for all the advice to you all:D

Advertisement