Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a plant or a weed?

• 23-07-2013 4:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved into a new house, and there's tonnes of the below plant growing everywhere. It seems to have originated in two barrels in the front, but it's growing up in gravel, between paving stones, along walls... It's got quite a woody bark on the big plants. I'm planning on pulling it up regardless, but I just wonder what it actually is?

J9mOjwHl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

It's Centranthus ruber, or Red Valerian. I's a very pretty red to pink herbaceous perennial, that wildly self seeds if you let it. I think it's a fantastic plant, had loads in the front garden of my last house. Used to seed and bloom several times a year. A very useful filler plant, in my opinion.

A weed is just any plant in the wrong place! ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes! Thank you! It's been driving me mad trying to find out what it is. It's pretty but the stuff in my garden is awfully overgrown so I think most of it needs to go.

Advertisement