Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gridelinia Hedge

• 23-07-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi all

First time poster in this section as I have a question I hope someone can help me with

Just finished the garden in our new home a fortnight ago and the last job was planting 30 griselinia shrubs from pots. They are 4 - 5 foot tall.

Should I take a couple off inches off the top of each shrub to encourage the hedge to grow and thicken?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

did you saturate pots with water before planting?
    You will need to water these well for the rest of the season.
    cant say about pruning, might be a good idea to take a foot or two off, but till i see plants, pl post photos.
    Any sign of wilting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Oldtree wrote: »
    did you saturate pots with water before planting?
    You will need to water these well for the rest of the season.
    cant say about pruning, might be a good idea to take a foot or two off, but till i see plants, pl post photos.
    Any sign of wilting?

I did water them in well and am continuing to water them morning and evening - no hose pipe ban here yet !

By wilting do you mean drouping leaves - if thats the case then no

However some leaves have brown patches

Thanks for your help

well done. they seem like very big plants to be putting in at this time of year however keep an eye on them and any sign of the leaves drooping in any way water, but not so much that you drown them. Water at the end of the day or at the beginning and avoid getting any spray on the leaves in this sunshine as it can scorch the leaves like a magnafying glass.

You should probably expect somr dieback given the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

I'll keep watering then and will probably do some gentle pruning tomorrow

I don't know how to post a picture from my phone - wish I could would like to get some opinions on the garden

Thank you oldtree

send the picture to your email account, download onto pc and upload from there or link to cloud from here using the yellow square with the mountain on it just above here where you input a post.

Prune to just above a leaf joint with sharp scatures, maby 3 to 4 leaves back on each branch for now, it would probably be no harm to reduce water stress anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement