Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kildare marathon

Options
  • 23-07-2013 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭

Early bird rates are now available when you enter online at www.kildaremarathon.ie
    Full Marathon €50 Half Marathon €39 and 10k €25

and a new date 27 april.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Nice to have it a little earlier !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm looking for a half marathon in the first half of next year, so this might do very well...

On a side note, I'm amused at the course map, with the '10k Marathon Route' marked on it. http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/includes/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/files/A4_Combo_Map_0604.pdf

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

Anyone register for this marathon. Tried registering using a smartphone but couldnt register because the date of birth wouldnt fill out.... looks like ill have to pay the extra

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I used discount code "LRKFB" to register a few weeks ago for a 10% discount - not sure it still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭**Portia**

What, if any, crowd support is there for the marathon. Choosing my second after DCM and would ideally like something where there are crowds cheering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

**Portia** wrote: »
    What, if any, crowd support is there for the marathon. Choosing my second after DCM and would ideally like something where there are crowds cheering!
    Do crowds of sheep count? :)

It's a lovely course, but the crowds would be typical of a rural marathon. Some support in the bigger towns and along the route, but otherwise pretty quiet. Water and drinks in bottles, which is a big bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭**Portia**

Cool, thanks, I thought as much. I do love the countryside to run in vs the city so I suppose the lack of spectators is going to be the trade-off for that :) cannot wait to run another marathon, I thought that I'd be more of a half-marathon girl once I'd checked one biggie off the list but I am dying to start training for another 26.2. I like the fact that the Kildare marathon is doable from Dublin without the expense of hotels too. I think I will sign up, just the small matter of a knee injury and post-marathon virus to get over first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

**Portia** wrote: »

Apart from people making theior way to mass, it's generally quiet until you get to Cutbush (no jokes Anto!) and then as you came back into Kildare town, the support builds up a bit more as you go through it which is when you'll appreciate the most.

But rumour has it that the pacers are top notch and will keep you entertained all the way around so that you wont need the crowds. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Going to pencil this one in myself. Looks like a perfect fit for my second (first one Dublin). Anyone know the intervals for the pacers for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Going to pencil this one in myself. Looks like a perfect fit for my second (first one Dublin). Anyone know the intervals for the pacers for this one?
    3 hours+ at 15 minute intervals, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Do crowds of sheep count? :)

I'll be out again with my kids with jellies at halfway mark, unless i chance running it myself!!

Sheep add atmosphere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

3 hours+ at 15 minute intervals, if I remember correctly.
    thnx kc,,see u in d green room:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Sorry to be missing this one next year - did half each year since it started. Change of date a bummer for me :(

Signed up for the half a few days ago. Really looking forward to it - it'll be a good contrast to running around Dublin city for the Rock'n'Roll HM back in August.

Would love to be able to go with the 1.45 pacers but will have to see how training goes. It's a big jump from the 1.58 I ran in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Just signed up for the half marathon today. This will hopefully be my second half marathon. Did one before in 1hr 58 so will be training to try and beat 1:50. That gives me 16 weeks training. Looking forward to starting once I get over this cough I have at the moment.

Oh, yeah. I used the following discount code, LRK200, and got 10% off which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Thanks eyeball kid. Saved me a massive €4.40 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

noler123 wrote: »
    Thanks eyeball kid. Saved me a massive €4.40 :)

No bother. I know it not much but it better than nothing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Just recieved this by email.....................
    Conn it is then

Dear Supporter of The Run Kildare Event

It is with regret that the Run Kildare Team would like to announce the cancellation of this year’s Run Kildare Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K 2014 due to take place on Sunday 27th April. The Run Kildare Team discussed this decision at length and, due to health related reasons, this decision has been made and confirmed. At this stage no future date for The Run Kildare Event has been confirmed.

In light of this decision we are in the process of issuing full refunds to you and others who have entered. You shall receive your refund in full no later than Friday 24th January 2014.

We have set up a separate email account for refund related queries which will be checked on a daily basis and any query relating to refunds will be dealt with from here. The email address is refund@kildaremarathon.ie. We would appreciate it if you can allow from now until the 23rd January for your payment to arrive due to the administration required to complete this task.

Since May 2010, when the event first took place, the numbers and the interest has grown from strength to strength and The Run Kildare Event has earned itself a great reputation county wide for encouraging fitness in the county and putting the Curragh of Kildare on the map. Without you as a supporter of the event, this would not have been possible and we thank you from our hearts for this.

We apologise to you, as you may have already started your training plan and set your goals around running or walking in one of The Run Kildare races on 27th April. The decision to cancel this year’s event was not taken lightly and I hope you can understand that sometimes difficult decisions have to be made due to unforeseen circumstances.

The Run Kildare team are very proud of our fundraising contributions over the past 4 years. At the event in May 2013, Lidl Ireland our title sponsor donated €20,000 to their chosen charity partner Barretstown and we are delighted to say that with cash donations and complimentary entries given, a further €15,000 was raised by the Run Kildare Team and given to the SVP, The Marie Keating Foundation and The Special Olympics also a small donation was given to the Jumping Jelly Beans charity and The Kildare County Board Athletes. The Run Kildare Team also contributed over €5,000 to local sports clubs and groups in the Kildare area in 2013, for their help with marshalling the event and assisting in making the event run smoothly.

To help you select alternative events to participate in, we have listed below future events that may be of interest to you. There are also other choices of events that can be found at www.runireland.com.

6th April – Every Sports Connemara International Marathon and Half Marathon http://www.connemarathon.com/

4th May – Barrington’s Hospital Great Limerick Run Full Marathon, Half Marathon and 6 mile http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/

5th May – Deep River Rock Belfast City Marathon & Half Marathon http://www.belfastcitymarathon.com/

25th May – Newry City Full and Half Marathon http://www.newrycitymarathon.com

The Run Kildare Team would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for your 2014 goals and we shall be in touch if any further communication is required.

Kind regards

The Run Kildare Team

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ah feck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Limerick it is so.

Was probably going to do Kildare.

• Advertisement

That's disappointing. Either Wexford or Wicklow for me, so. Am leaning towards Wicklow, although it is a month earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well that came out of the blue ! I did the half last year, not a bad event but way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Well that came out of the blue ! I did the half last year, not a bad event but way too expensive.

I had entered the marathon for €48 so based on the going rate ir was not bad.
    Only decent alternative is Conn for €70, not bothered doing one in a kip like Limerick or Newry.....
    Belfast is a no go area due to the recent messing.

June for Cork is a bit far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Bummer alright!

My first Marathon is cancelled ! (does this mean I am off the hook).

Personally Connemara looks tempting (except for those hills) or Belfast (I have relations there and it's only 33£ !).

Must have a look at Wicklow...

bummer:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I don't think there'll be any 'messing' at the Belfast city marathon ...
    I had entered the marathon for €48 so based on the going rate ir was not bad.
    Only decent alternative is Conn for €70, not bothered doing one in a kip like Limerick or Newry.....
    Belfast is a no go area due to the recent messing.

June for Cork is a bit far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Pity, I ran the Marathon there as a 2nd bite the last 2 years and really enjoyed the smaller feel, being able to rock up to the start a few mins before the off, water in bottles and good organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Aww bummer, my first marathon. Was really looking forward to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Dear Supporter of The Run Kildare Event

It is with regret that the Run Kildare Team would like to announce the cancellation of this year’s Run Kildare Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K 2014 due to take place on Sunday 27th April. The Run Kildare Team discussed this decision at length and, due to health related reasons, this decision has been made and confirmed. At this stage no future date for The Run Kildare Event has been confirmed.

What could "health-related reasons" mean? Health and safety risks? Or someone's personal health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

What could "health-related reasons" mean? Health and safety risks? Or someone's personal health?
    Personal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Personal

In that case, best wishes for a full recovery to the person involved.

Advertisement