Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Daily Deals Platform - Looking For Partners/Contributors

Options
  • 23-07-2013 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hello,

We have launched an exciting new daily deals platform that has several new USP compared to big competitors , I have set up this thread in order to see if there is any possible investors looking to come into this market and our project on a hands on basis

Aidan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Your USPs do not come across to me! Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

What USP? There are many abandoned deals type websites on the Irish webscape so what makes your site different?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 amcn1

obviously i wont start listing out new USP that we havnt even brought to the market yet , im looking for people that are genuinely interested in a project like this to get in contact with me

You can't sell from an empty basket! Basic commerce still applies!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

amcn1 wrote: »
    obviously i wont start listing out new USP that we havnt even brought to the market yet , im looking for people that are genuinely interested in a project like this to get in contact with me

Every web developer who has been around since 2011 - when Groupon and the daily deals fad hit top gear - has been approached a bunch of times by folks wanting to start deals sites.

The onus is on you to prove to potentially interested parties that A) you haven't missed the boat, and B) your particular USP is different from the 1,832,738 people who wanted to start a deals site.

• Advertisement

Listen to those of you that join these sites to just be negative . . . stop wasting your time im not interested in mindless comments like " well 10000000000 others have tried and failed etc. etc. "

im looking for people who are actually interested in joining a project like this

The first USP is the structure of our deals to members ( there are 6 deal types ) ( note only 2 are currently brought to market )

1. first one standard daily deal as on groupon etc.

2. second one "Pocket Now" deals

example daily deal for hair €35

you pay €5 now to secure the deal( receive voucher) direct on the website

you pay balance to retailer when redeeming voucher

this USP has several advantages from both a business and member point of view

this is ONE of our USP that stands out from yes ANY other daily deal site out there , now back to me looking for people who are interested in this type of project . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you don't want constructive criticism, don't post on a public discussion forum.

Your "balance later" has definite benefits for the consumer, but for businesses it's not very appealing - they lose two major benefits of running a deal, unredeemed coupons, and cash up front.

Constructive is appreciated anything else is not , and to your point about loosing benefits

1. un redeemed vouchers -

on average 30% of paid upfront vouchers are not used , with some of the daily deals platforms not passing this onto the merchant ,

with market research over the last year and running of deals our system has an average of 80-90% take up of vouchers which is a much higher rate than as standard so this unredeemed voucher is actually a benefit of our system

2. likewise upfront payment

we are the only daily deals platform giving upfront payment as soon as the customer walks through the door , not sure how familiar you are with DDS but they are actually holding back up to 50% of the monies up to 3 months AFTER the expiration date of the voucher , meaning businesses are suffering the running costs of providing these deals without getting paid for ages where as with us they receive upfront when voucher is redeemed , We have all read the horror stories of businesses going bust over this issue

therefore these two particular points are actually BENEFITS of running a deal on this platform compared to traditional ones out there right now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Speaking from experience, the first obstacle new entrants come across (and sometimes takes them a long time to work this out) is that it's easy to build a daily deal website, but the successful companies have actually built daily deal businesses.

An easy way to determine success is by looking at resourcing across development team, customer/merchant support, operations etc.

Most of your assumptions are incorrect, the market has moved rapidly in Ireland in the last 2 years.

Best of luck with the business.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Speaking from experience, the first obstacle new entrants come across (and sometimes takes them a long time to work this out) is that it's easy to build a daily deal website, but the successful companies have actually built daily deal businesses.

An easy way to determine success is by looking at resourcing across development team, customer/merchant support, operations etc.

Most of your assumptions are incorrect, the market has moved rapidly in Ireland in the last 2 years.

Best of luck with the business.

Who's assumptions ? Elaborate please

• Advertisement

Who's assumptions ? Elaborate please

On upfront payment and non-redemption - both are incorrect when applied to the local Irish market.

Two areas that would be significantly difficult to differentiate against others.

Please explain your thoughts on why my assumptions regards this are wrong

Please explain your thoughts on why my assumptions regards this are wrong

Well, from experience and in-depth knowledge of the industry and market. I honestly wish you all the best in the start-up. It's a very exciting industry but requires a massive amount of hard work to be successful. Of course there's room in any competitive market with the right approach ;)

Listen to those of you that join these sites to just be negative . . . stop wasting your time im not interested in mindless comments like " well 10000000000 others have tried and failed etc. etc. "
    I have a very different view of the web to most people. I actually run TLD web usage surveys and would see how such sites appear and disappear over the course of a few years. Deal and offers sites are have a high attrition rate. Part of measuring the web usage in a TLD is working out how many sites are actively developed and how many are abandoned.

The commonest reason that they fail is that the people behind them are building them as their first project and have no understanding of the amount of finance required to make such a site viable.
    The first USP is the structure of our deals to members ( there are 6 deal types ) ( note only 2 are currently brought to market )
    A USP is a Unique Selling Point. It ceases being unique if others can do it just as easily.
    1. first one standard daily deal as on groupon etc.
    Groupon has its own problems and it does advertise heavily on Adwords (as does the Amazon version).
    2. second one "Pocket Now" deals
    Impulse purchases might work but it begins to blur the line between and offers and a discount website.
    you pay €5 now to secure the deal( receive voucher) direct on the website
    Have you thought about how you will ensure that someone doesn't print their own vouchers without having to pay you?
    this USP has several advantages from both a business and member point of view
    Have you looked at other sites offering the same kind of offers and discount bundles in the Irish market?
    this is ONE of our USP that stands out from yes ANY other daily deal site out there , now back to me looking for people who are interested in this type of project . . .
    So right now you are at the tyre kicking stage where you have no members and no business plan? The trend for these fad type sites is that there tends to be a lot of them at the start of the trend, a few at the middle and a handful at the end. You appear to have hit the consolidation phase of the market.

Have you checked out how many people in your prospective market have access to a printer?

Regards...jmcc

Trojan wrote: »
    Every web developer who has been around since 2011 - when Groupon and the daily deals fad hit top gear - has been approached a bunch of times by folks wanting to start deals sites.
    The Irish Times even cybersquatted groupon.ie but now it has its own discounts and offers site. The Indo had its grabone site. There was a rake of these sites all claiming to target one niche (students/teenagers/adults/oaps/techies/gigs etc) at one stage but they are becoming less common.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    I have a very different view of the web to most people. I actually run TLD web usage surveys and would see how such sites appear and disappear over the course of a few years. Deal and offers sites are have a high attrition rate. Part of measuring the web usage in a TLD is working out how many sites are actively developed and how many are abandoned.

The commonest reason that they fail is that the people behind them are building them as their first project and have no understanding of the amount of finance required to make such a site viable.

A USP is a Unique Selling Point. It ceases being unique if others can do it just as easily.

OURS IS A USP AS OTHERS DONT OFFER SAME KIND OF DEALS
    Groupon has its own problems and it does advertise heavily on Adwords (as does the Amazon version).

Impulse purchases might work but it begins to blur the line between and offers and a discount website.

Have you thought about how you will ensure that someone doesn't print their own vouchers without having to pay you?

VOUCHERS ARE UNIQUE TO EACH PURCHASER AND COME WITH UNIIQUE CODES ETC. JUST LIKE OTHER DAILY DEALS SITES ONLY GET VOUCHER ONCE PAID FOR
    Have you looked at other sites offering the same kind of offers and discount bundles in the Irish market?

NONE AT PRESENT
    So right now you are at the tyre kicking stage where you have no members and no business plan? The trend for these fad type sites is that there tends to be a lot of them at the start of the trend, a few at the middle and a handful at the end. You appear to have hit the consolidation phase of the market.

YES THAT IS CORRECT WE ARE AT THAT STAGE AND ARE HAPPY TO ENTER AT THAT BUT NO NOT AT THE TYRE KICKING STAGE WITH NO BUSINESS PLAN OUR WEBSITE HAS LAUNCHED ALREADY
    Have you checked out how many people in your prospective market have access to a printer?

WE HAVE OPTIMISED THE SITE FOR SMART PHONE MOBILE USAGE AND PEOPLE CAN LOG INTO ACCOUNTS AND VIEW / SHOW VOUCHERS IN THERE ACCOUNT DIRECT ON THE WEBSITE

OURS IS A USP AS OTHERS DONT OFFER SAME KIND OF DEALS
    Yet...
    VOUCHERS ARE UNIQUE TO EACH PURCHASER AND COME WITH UNIIQUE CODES ETC. JUST LIKE OTHER DAILY DEALS SITES ONLY GET VOUCHER ONCE PAID FOR
    And how do the business owners verify the vouchers? Will it complicate the checkout procedure or make it simpler?
    NONE AT PRESENT
    Those are very famous words in business circles because it can indicate that the business has been tried and not proven viable or the proposer has not researched the business fully.

Have you examined the barriers to entry that would stop some of the larger and establised players from offering exactly the same thing as you are offering with your site?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Everyone here has been quiet polite and you have responded in a very defensive way. People picking apart your business concept isn't a personal jibe at you, it is actually a favour to you. You can put your hands over your ears and plough ahead regardless if you want, but really that will get you nowhere.

The posters are not being negative, they are providing constructive criticism about a market that even the leader is trying to move away from. I would never and hope I speak for the other posters here, ever, discourage anyone from trying things out, learning and moving on - it doesn't mean I won't offer my constructive comments as I expect nothing less from others.

Yet...

And how do the business owners verify the vouchers? Will it complicate the checkout procedure or make it more complex?

Those are very famous words in business circles because it can indicate that the business has been tried and not proven viable or the proposer has not researched the business fully.

Have you examined the barriers to entry that would stop some of the larger and establised players from offering exactly the same thing as you are offering with your site?

Regards...jmcc
    the business owners verify the vouchers the same way as done on all deals sites, two years of market research with previous experience in the industry as a sales manager , this is ONE of our USp we have 6 more key ones just as good as this one , We wont be copied as by the time we are we will have already rolled out major new ones that change the game ,

are you looking to get involved ?

Yet...

And how do the business owners verify the vouchers? Will it complicate the checkout procedure or make it simpler?

Regards...jmcc
    Joseph wrote: »
    Everyone here has been quiet polite and you have responded in a very defensive way. People picking apart your business concept isn't a personal jibe at you, it is actually a favour to you. You can put your hands over your ears and plough ahead regardless if you want, but really that will get you nowhere.

The posters are not being negative, they are providing constructive criticism about a market that even the leader is trying to move away from. I would never and hope I speak for the other posters here, ever, discourage anyone from trying things out, learning and moving on - it doesn't mean I won't offer my constructive comments as I expect nothing less from others.

have no problem with responses and getting them with people pointing out what they see as stumbling blocks justs helps me verify that i have done my research , which benefits me , knowledge is key . its when people write up saying dont bother wasting your money etc. that really doesnt benefit anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Well you can phrase "dont bother wasting your money" in many ways to make it sound more polite.

"I don't think this is a good market to get into, you are likely to spend much cash with little return"

But really someone's opinion is their opinion and there is no point sugar coating it, family and friends will do that and they are never good people to validate ideas from. I do personally think you shouldn't bother and that you are likely to waste money but at least you will learn lots from the experience and should keep moving forward afterwards trying out ideas and having a blast along the way because that's what entrepreneurialism is all about :)

Joseph wrote: »
    Well you can phrase "dont bother wasting your money" in many ways to make it sound more polite.

"I don't think this is a good market to get into, you are likely to spend much cash with little return"

But really someone's opinion is their opinion and there is no point sugar coating it, family and friends will do that and they are never good people to validate ideas from. I do personally think you shouldn't bother and that you are likely to waste money but at least you will learn lots from the experience and should keep moving forward afterwards trying out ideas and having a blast along the way because that's what entrepreneurialism is all about :)

there is only one major issue with the daily deals market and its a very simple one . . . the platform has not developed and grown like it should have and the companies havnt continued to develop the idea , what you get now is what you got 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

there is only one major issue with the daily deals market and its a very simple one . . . the platform has not developed and grown like it should have and the companies havnt continued to develop the idea , what you get now is what you got 5 years ago

Hi Aidan,

I think you should read your comment above over and over again. Then you should read it a few more times.

There has been millions of euro spent on developing these ideas, and you may have another million to develop your business.

The bottom line is the customer has been burned by the concept, they will be very reluctant to add their name to yours or existing deals websites.

Regards,

Fries

OP, basically you are talking evolution of the concept rather than innovative revolution. All new products and services are subject to such a process to keep them relevant, or they just fade away. It is extremely difficult to gain significant foothold in any market which is largely owned by the bigger established players and even more so in a "fad" space such as this. It does seem that both the consumer and the service/supply sides have become somewhat tired/weary/untrusting of these operations, that does not bode well for any new entrant trying to find market position.
    No matter how great your consumer service or product is, it is hugely expensive to fund a sustained marketing campaign if you wish to sell other than in a local area.
    As Fries pointed out, cursory look at the promotional and advertising spend of the established players, even in the Irish market, will throw up very large numbers. Have you actually got the financial wherewithal to meet this kind of spend?

It may well be that your ideas have great merit and can be evolved into a game-changer to halt the decline in the Deals scene. Have you considered taking your ideas to one of the bigger existing players. Doorstep/bombard CEOs to get a chance to pitch yourself and your ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Fair play on your confidence in your idea that is obviously massively important. As a retailer who has used one of these sites before it would take something very special for us to run another offer. Unless you are working off massive margins its hard to justify consistently doing the offers that are basically making you sell stuff at cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

To me you don't seem to have the ability to actually view the market and the overall business through anyone's eyes but your own.

Everyone isn't wrong, they may not necessarily be right, but they are not always wrong.

Your confident that you can reinvent the wheel where companies with millions of euros in marketing and development budgets couldn't.

Good luck with it, but to use the dragons den phrase, and genuinely for your own good, you are not coming across as remotely like someone that a person could work with. And I apologise if that seems personal, it's not meant to be.

Good luck with the business.

jimmii wrote: »
    Fair play on your confidence in your idea that is obviously massively important. As a retailer who has used one of these sites before it would take something very special for us to run another offer. Unless you are working off massive margins its hard to justify consistently doing the offers that are basically making you sell stuff at cost price.

Id be very interested to hear another opinion from a retailer point of view regards the pitfalls and problems you encountered when running the daily deals ?

much appreciated if you could give feedback

Obviously the likes of groupon etc. have pumped millions into developing this and so far there hasnt been much change ?

but thats the point , they need to step back and look at

a) how the merchant feels about the system and what changes can benefit them
    b) how the customer/member experience/ability to obtain these deals can change
    c) how the system/platform can be structured to cut out down on running costs-

quick note on this the major issue is having capital to cover merchant problems - this is the no.1 issue and this is why there caught in the platform there on

when these companies first came in they were charging 60% commissions across the board , making huge actually change that to disgraceful profits from merchants

do you think these same people are in Ireland for the long term sustainability of merchants going forward ?

I have spend time within the business and 2 years around in constructively listening to merchants , developing the potential for customers/members and aligning a platform to what merchants and members want to suit ,

I see this industry being here in 20 years but just at a more sustainable level ,

you have to look at things from a business perspective do they want ?

brand awareness ?
    new customers ?
    brand loyalty ?
    quick buck ? (Some do)
    Workload increase ?

imagine a DDS that actually encourages loyalty to businesses ?

yes these big big companies have tried but what have they tried to improve from a merchant point of view ? Very little is the answer besides reducing the commission % a bit but thats not really dealing with whats wrong its just trying to plough on through regardless,

Everyone quotes saying these companies have spent millions in developing their platform ? . . .

If that is the case then what have they actually changed ?

. . . Applying for a development role in groupon seems to be the smartest thing to do right now , get paid loads to do well . . . what exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I think without stating at least one USP (And the one you posted isn't unique or different) then I can't see how this is any way different from any deal site. Unless of course the USP's rely on some technological, patent pending form of delivery etc. Otherwise they are just ideas and can be easily copied, hence not USP's in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

imagine a DDS that actually encourages loyalty to businesses?

We actually have had a good return rate from the people who took up the voucher offer. If there was something that would do more to encourage repeat custom would definitely be of interest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement