Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 acres what to do with it

• 23-07-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I have just been asked it i wanted to use of some land that is belonging to an aunt she has had it rented out to a lad for years and now its up for rent again . Its around 15 miles from ware i live so im looking for ideas on what to do with it id like to get a few calves but is it two small for that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Hi there, im new to boards.
    Do you have any machinery or equipment that may allow for silage bale production, as based on the last few winters, there has been a sharp increase in the value of it.

Regards cattle, i would suggest 15 miles being too far away to keep tabs on the cattle, but maybe im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Hi there, im new to boards.
    Do you have any machinery or equipment that may allow for silage bale production, as based on the last few winters, there has been a sharp increase in the value of

Regards cattle, i would suggest 15 miles being too far away to keep tabs on the cattle, but maybe im wrong.

Thanks for reply i have no problem traveling over every day to cattle . If i was to bale it i have a mf 135 to put out fertilizer but id have to widen passage to get bigger machinery in

stoeger wrote: »
    Thanks for reply i have no problem traveling over every day to cattle . If i was to bale it i have a mf 135 to put out fertilizer but id have to widen passage to get bigger machinery in

Any one got a rough price per calf ready for grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Forestry is an option with grants available.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/grantandpremiumschemes/

Additionally you could plant up some of it for short rotation coppice (maby 10 year) for firewood for you home as the price of oil is not going to go down over the next 10 years and the price of firewood ios only going to go up.

Would it be really worth your while to do a few calves?

I think that the fodder crisis will be sorted with reductions in numbers of animals and increased stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Are you farming already or new to it?

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    Are you farming already or new to it?

My oldfella farmed it about 20 years ago but there was 30 acres more down the road.used to have cattle on it but its sold for years now im not farming and would be new to it in terms of on my own have worked on farms on and off for years

Advertisement