Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill ROAR - Sat 7th Sept 2013

Options
  • 23-07-2013 6:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭

Couple of minor threads in 2012 – Here and here – No Poll setup

Full 2011 Thread and Poll HERE (Score 4.83)

Full 2010 Thread and Poll HERE (Score 4.84)

This year’s race will be on Sat 7th Sept

Mini (18km), Sport (31km) and Expert (63km) options.

Stage 1 - Race starts with either a swim or Kayak (Bring own single kayak Or use provided double sit on tops)
    Stage 2 – Run – Beach only for mini and beach & hill for Sport and Expert
    Stage 2 – Road cycle on undulating course

Stage 4 – After Race PARTY

Code “PaulSpecial” valid currently for a 10% discount or if bringing a big group mail me on info@roar.ie and might be able to sort out an even better deal :D

Full details at Event Website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brianpatrick

this is my first time doing a race like this can someone give me a few pointer what to wear . im doing the mini roar and any help would be great. I don't want to spend to much money on tri suits ect

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CarolMLC

this is my first time doing a race like this can someone give me a few pointer what to wear . im doing the mini roar and any help would be great. I don't want to spend to much money on tri suits ect

Hi brianpatrick, I'm doing the mini too, first time doing anything like this as I only started running a few months ago - excited and nervous at the same time! I've been wondering the same thing, I don't want to run in cycling shorts but would like the extra padding on the bike! Might try a training ride in running shorts this week and see how it feels. Also wondering if I'll be running in waterlogged runners on the day... anyone experienced out there who can offer advice please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't need a tri suit, the cycle is not that long on the mini so you could get away with running shorts if you had to, but you could pick up a pair of cheap tri shorts somewhere like TK Maxx if there's one near by.

As for wet feet, yes, you'll have them from the start. If you somehow manage to keep them dry on the kayak you're going to get wet on the beach anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

I'd agree, tri-shorts would be the best. They offer a bit of padding over and above running shorts but aren't too bulky. That said, running shorts would be fine for the mini.

Your feet and shoes will be saturated by the end of the race. I wouldn't worry about it at all but bring a change of shoes and socks for after the race.

With 2 weeks to go, I'm really looking forward to it. It's my favorite race of the year.

How much of this is on the public road?

• Advertisement

All the cycle is on public road.

Re the wet feet, you could leave a change of footwear at the bike as the bike is the last stage of the race anyway and if the wind is its usual self on the day, wet socks and shoes wouldn't be the most comfortable.

what about the Short Run (~600m) to Start of Swim and Return Run to Transition Area (~600m) to and from Keel Lake

Would that be on the road or across the golf course?

Thanks for the advice - will try and pick up tri shorts or something else that's just lightly padded. I'm reckoning smartwool socks will be the most comfortable when wet, will dunk my feet some day this week before a run and see how it goes! Based on the distance, I'm guessing the mini cycle is the loop the goes around Keel Lake and joins the end of the Sports route for the last 6k or so - in which case it's uphill for about 3k and then looks fairly handy :-)

what about the Short Run (~600m) to Start of Swim and Return Run to Transition Area (~600m) to and from Keel Lake

Would that be on the road or across the golf course?

You run along the dunes, around the campsite, cross the road and over to the lake.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You run along the dunes, around the campsite, cross the road and over to the lake.
    Great thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Great thanks.

Is it not possible to do kayak barefoot thereby keeping feet dry?

You're going to get wet anyway on the beach. For these types of races there's no point in worrying about getting wet feet, it's gonna happen.

I'm thinking about doing the expert this year.

Looks like it might be a bit faster than GFW: long kayak stage, tough run up the cliff/mountain and spectacular cycle along the Atlantic coast.

I was just under 6 hours in GFW and am wondering if 5 hours might be a realistic target for the ROAR?

Further to the wet feet comments above... I took a sit-on kayak out for a spin yesterday and not only got wet feet but was also sitting in a puddle by the end of it, so be prepared for both wet feet and wet shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

there are a handful of little and not so little streams that run down the beach to the sea, youl have to cross these and definitely 2 are too big to jump and at least ankle deep in spots... your going to have wet feet.. ive seen people take off their shoes to kayak but to me its pointless
    the short run to the kayaks goes the beach side of the caravan park and then along the fence between the park and the golf course on the golf course side, then a bit along the road until you reach the lake..

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluenova

Thinking about doing this what about an old pair of trainers for the kayak and run or would ye use a good pair of trail runners
    Have a pair of old but comfy asics also have new salomon speedcross?
    Any suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Folks, it's an adventure race. You're going to get wet.

You'll get a lil wet at the kayak, you'll get wet crossing the lil streams running down the beach, you'll get wet as the sides of the hill can be wet from our Irish weather. The ground is very peaty so can be like stepping on a sponge. I did the expert last year and it got very messy further up the hill after the sport turnaround. But thats the fun of these races.

Trail runners are best. Make sure you've done a few miles in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

bluenova wrote: »
    Thinking about doing this what about an old pair of trainers for the kayak and run or would ye use a good pair of trail runners
    Have a pair of old but comfy asics also have new salomon speedcross?
    Any suggestions

Wear your new shoes - no point in keeping them for the fancy dress party.

They are designed to be used off-road which is what the run is for all 3 courses though you would get away with road shoes for the Mini run as it is all on grass and beach.

Entry closes at midnight next Monday 2nd Sept
    Entry this year includes a ROAR Hoodie in a choice of colours and a Buff too :D!

Got my tri shorts today and used them for a training run / cycle - great investment, really comfortable for both and will hopefully dry out fairly quickly after the kayaking!

Many people here doing the event?

• Advertisement

bluenova wrote: »
    Many people here doing the event?

I am, but just the mini - only took up running a few months ago and cycling even more recently - still haven't taken up kayaking... also not exactly a spring chicken so will be very happy just to complete the mini! How about you?

Ya I'm doing the sport first adventure race the run will kill me but sure il give it a go and see how we get on
    CarolMLC wrote: »
    I am, but just the mini - only took up running a few months ago and cycling even more recently - still haven't taken up kayaking... also not exactly a spring chicken so will be very happy just to complete the mini! How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Hi all, has anyone registered and cant compete? I have a friend who is hoping to do the race but left it too late to register.

Got sorted
    Thanks

Well the weather certainly roared at us yesterday!!! Hope you got on well with the Sport. I did the mini in 1:08:51 so very pleased with myself in the circumstances!

Conditions made it a tough race. The pints were well earned. It was a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

I did the sport - first time doing anything more than a running race - really enjoyed the challenge. I had intended doing the swim so I'll have a new first next time out in a race like this.

Great event really enjoyed it tough conditions indeed roll on next year

Yeah, a really well run event and very enjoyable despite the weather - will be back next year too I think!

Advertisement