Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books about the Old West :-)

Options
  • 23-07-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of books about the old/wild west. I'm curious about this and plan on visiting that part of America one day and the famous old towns.

I'm interested in both fiction and non fiction!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Louis L'amour has alot of books set in the Wild West. They can be quite clichè with hero/villain roles but enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

py2006 wrote: »
    Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of books about the old/wild west. I'm curious about this and plan on visiting that part of America one day and the famous old towns.

I'm interested in both fiction and non fiction!

Thanks

True Grit by Charles Portis is a great Western.Its one of my favourite books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
    Many find it hard-going though (the language, the themes and the violence)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Fiction:
    Desperadoes by Ron Hansen, cracking book about the Doolin-Dalton gang
    Lonesome Dove -Larry McMurtry -classic Pulitzer winning novel about a cattle drive. (McMurtry has written a good deal about the old west, definitely worth checking out)

Non-fiction
    Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne -fascinating story of Quanah Parker, last chief of the Comanches who was half white which also charts history of the tribe, the fiercest horse tribe of the Plains.

The Last Gunfight -Jeff Guinn -detailed account of the Gunfight at OK Corral and what led up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides is an epic account of the American west in the 19th century, part fact, part fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely look to getting them. The following is what I have ordered so far:

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
    True Grit
    The Shootist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"The Virginian" was the first major western novel
    Also I wouldn't bother with Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, it was important when published but it's quite outdated. "1491" would be a better Indian history

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The Sisters Brothers is an excellent recent western style novel

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fenwick

+1 for Lonesome Dove...loved the characters!
    Just finished 'Doc' by Mary Doria Russell....quite new but reignited my interest in DH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Try some of Elmore Leonard's early western novels. Highly entertaining.

+1 for Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and True Grit.

Also, Gone to Texas by Benjamin Franklin Carter . It was the basis for The Outlaw Joesy Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 maynoothlizard

Ron Hansen's novel The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which was the basis for the excellent film starring Brad Pitt.

Advertisement